“Awesome place to stay in the wharf!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Michigan City, Indiana
“Awesome place to stay in the wharf!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was perfect for my family. Loved the fully stocked kitchen, location, roof top deck and the staff. I won't repeat everything that has already been said but believe the reviews. Bed and pull out bed were comfortable. We were in the back of the hotel and had no problems with noise. The only negatives I can think of is spotty wifi and low water pressure in the shower. Would definitely recommend and stay here again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
orange county
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I would give this hotel ten stars if possible. We stayed at the Suites last year on our visit to San Francisco but we hadn't given ourselves enough time to see all the sights. When we decided to return, I wanted to make sure we got a "street side" view room like we had last year. Knowing how popular this hotel is, I called General Manager Chris Boggess NINE months early to request our room. Despite this being too far in advance to officially book a room, he was nice enough to put us into the system, and we actually got the room we requested. What great customer service. While speaking of customer service, I would also like to thank Front Desk Manager Jason for putting up with all of my confirmation calls prior to our arrival. The staff here is all top notch. The location of this property can't be beat, being close to Fisherman's Wharf, but not in amongst the crowd. Also, after traveling through many parts of San Fran, this is really one of the better areas to stay in for safety reasons. The room rates, considering what you get in exchange, can't be beat. Be sure to reserve parking, as it is very difficult to find any in the area. The proximity to public transportation is an added benefit. The only negative during this visit was the noise. I don't know if people are getting more rude and inconsiderate towards their fellow travelers or I'm getting older and more grouchy. We had kids jumping around in the unit above ours which was quite annoying but what really bothered me was the large group of people checking out between 2AM and 4AM who rumbled their suitcases past our bedroom window and yelled at one another as if it were the middle of the day. I gave Front Deskman Edgar a short rant about this the following morning but he shrugged it off as there was nothing he could really do about it. I would highly recommend the Suites of Fisherman's Wharf and will return in the future.

Room Tip: Despite being very noisy during the day, the street side rooms are fun.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We loved this hotel. The location is fantastic and the rates very reasonable for this area. Although a little worn around the edges,it was clean. We loved having a kitchen to save some $ on our trip especially traveling with 2 teenagers. There are 2 large grocery stores within walking distance. We had a 2 bedroom flat that looked out onto Powell street and we heard the cable car until 1:00 pm. Didn't bother us a bit - all part of the experience of this wonderful city. The wifi was complimentary but uneven in the rooms, worked better in the centre sitting area. Parking fees were reasonable compared to other lots around. Staff were great to us!

Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

A little worn but clean and reasonably quiet. Being in the city you will get some "city noise" plus the sound of foghorns if the bay is foggy. Nothing like the noise one hears in NYC, though. Staff very friendly and helpful, self-parking available at a very reasonable rate (~$24/24 hrs). We enjoyed the rooftop terrace and the views of the bay. The hotel is a 2-3 blocks off the waterfront and 3 blocks or so west of the Fisherman's Wharf proper. We thought the location excellent and convenient to Fisherman's Wharf. If you don't mind walking a few blocks, I recommend Cafe GoLo for breakfast (try the breakfast burrito).

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spent 4 nights here, from 6/24-6/28. If I could separate my review into 3 good days (4 stars) & 1 bad day (1 star), I would. As others have mentioned, this is a great location and relatively clean. It is a bit noisy situated right on a major bus stop (which we were right above) & cable car line, but that was OK given the location. The suites were spacious and kitchens were well appointed, though a bit dated. Staff was friendly, readily providing assistance with directions & recommendations. With no A/C, the temperature in the unit got uncomfortably warm on sunny days, but there were ceiling fans & it typically cooled off at night.

The reason for the lower rating is due to one day during our stay on which we were without any running water for 8+ hours! Apparently there had been some plumbing repairs scheduled, which turned into a more serious situation. When we got back to our unit at 1:30, there was a note under our door that the hot water would be off from 1-2PM. When we tried to turn on the cold water, it didn't work. We called the front desk & they confirmed that all water was shut off and may not be back on for up to 2 hours. We tried to wait it out. Unfortunately, it coincided with the day my 2-yr. old daughter got sick, so we were stuck in the unit. After 2 hours, I called reception again and was told it could be another half hour. I asked if there were some restroom facilities nearby that we could use, and she recommended trying the Starbucks. We walked down the street, but decided to try the Argonaut instead, which allowed us to use their facilities. For the rest of the day, we waited and periodically checked back with the front desk. Had we known of the duration of the outage, we could have tried to get a room at another place, but each time we checked back, it seemed like running water would return shortly. At about 8:30, after another "half an hour" estimate, I asked if there was anywhere we could get water to give our kids sponge baths & for drinking (by that time we had exhausted our bottled water). They recommended Safeway & told us it was 3 blocks away. I walked there & it is definitely more than 3 blocks away (it may have seemed longer though because I was carrying 5 gallons of water, much of it uphill, after dark). This is another area where a service-oriented hotel could have brought in water for guests that were waiting, or at least arranged to take guests to purchase water. I realize that these things can happen even at nice places, but we were disappointed that the Suites did not have contingency plans in place (such as arranging for bottled water, arranging for guests to use nearby showers/restroom facilities, etc.) and also did not communicate well (despite promising updated, not a single communication was made by staff/management to guests after the note; they knew of our situation and promised updates, but each time, the update was initiated by me calling or going to the lobby).

When I returned from my grocery trip (by this time it was about 9:30), the water had just come back on, but it was coming out brown! After calling the front desk again, they told us to run it for 5 minutes before using. After it finally cleared up, the hot water was not working! We called again and they told us it could be another 30-45 minutes for the hot water to work, since the tank had been drained.

Upon checkout, we were charged the full $210 for the day on which we had no running water for 8 hours! The only compensation we were offered for this was free parking. Running water, restrooms & showers are essential parts of a hotel stay, & guests should not be charged full price if they are without those things for 8 hours. Also on checkout, I tried to pay with a different credit card than we had used to make the reservation (my wife had made the reservation), but for some reason that was a problem (I've done that multiple times at other places). Edgar left a message for the manager to contact me (he said I would be contacted by Monday, July 1), but I still have not received a call.

Room Tip: Avoid 100 and 101 - they are right above the bus stop.
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Really easy check in and excellent location to the wharf. The cable car stops just outside the door and is in walking distances for so many places. The room was large, comfortable and quiet. You could hear the cable cars going outside but never stopped us from sleeping and my wife is a really light sleeper. A one block walk to Giaradelli's and the cable car turn around. I would go back to the place in a heart beat. We were on the first floor and had a sitting area outside our room as well as the ability to go to the scenic deck on the roof. Has an elevator but the exercise is go for me and the elevator is slow. Overall a good value as the room as a "full kitchen" which means it has a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, plenty of pots and dishes and utensils. It is galley style but quite functional with a coffee maker and wine bottle opener included.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning and the breeze is better on the upper floors and view better. The first...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family and I spent 4 nights here and it was, well, great. Our suite was big and it was nice having a kitchen to save a little money on eating out. My husband and I loved the rooftop patio to watch the sunset with a glass of wine. We read about this hotel on Trip Advisor prior to booking and were a bit concerned about some postings regarding noise. The hotel is not noisy but you will hear typically city sounds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Suites at Fisherman's Wharf? Share your experiences!