“Fusion Hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fusion

You added Hotel Fusion to your Saves list
Hotel Fusion
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Gate Hotel San Francisco) (Union Square)   |
Ranked #130 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
California
“Fusion Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Fusion near Union Square in January. The rooms were very clean and stylish; but the walls are thin and let in sounds/conversations you may or may not wish to hear at 2 a.m. The room also got stuffy but opening the window helped. Only stay here if you are a sound sleeper without young children.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

This hotel might have been okay until the moment I stepped into the bathroom and found a used CONDOM on the floor. It was horrifying. When I made note of it to the front desk the woman working said she would have the manager get in contact with me (mind you they still charged us for our stay with them), and I still have not heard anything back. Anyone have any suggestions?
In addition, if you have a car and you valet expect to wait 20 minutes before they bring your car around. If you have plans to be at the airport, their method is not very efficient.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Christiansburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

The location of this hotel is great. It's only about two blocks to the BART and Powell St. Station, which is an easy way to get there from the airport.

The room was decent. I liked that the door to the bedroom closed separate from the entrance/bathroom area. That was nice for sharing with a roommate who might come in at a different hour than you.

They have Internet, but bring your own Ethernet cable. Otherwise, you can pay for one.

The main complaint is that the hotel is next to a nightclub. It wasn't too noisy, and some of it is to be expected with the location in the middle of all the action. However, I'd say staying on a weeknight would be better than a weekend because of that. The music wasn't actually that bad, but the lines outside the club were long on Friday, and you could hear the people.

Considering this and the room that some of my other colleagues got at different hotel for a better price, I'd say it depends on the deal you find and whether you are staying on a weekend or not.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

Ok, it's not the Hyatt, or the Nikko, or the Hilton. It doesn't have the fancy restaurants, big rooms, etc. It does however have a great staff, clean rooms with great water pressure in the shower, modern amenities (lcd tv's in rooms), etc., and costs about half what those other guys charge.

Ok, so it doesn't have a restaurant. Dude - you're in Union Square - walk out the front door and you have about 100 different restaurants to choose from all within walking distance.

I do have to take away a few points for putting the ethernet jacks on the opposite side of the room from your work desk. But, that's why they call them "laptops," so not a deal breaker.

Having no a/c could be an issue in the summer, but in March it did not matter. Union Square offers a large variety of brand hotels, along with many historic independent hotels. The latter category includes some less than savory selections. Fusion is a good choice though, and if you're on a budget (and who isn't these days), this is a very good bet. Splurge a few extra dollars to get the upgraded rooms (i.e. Dlx King or Jr Ste) and you'll be in good shape.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I happened to like this hotel a lot. Yes from where I was staying, there was no noise.. However, just like most of the complaints on here.. no air came into my room.. NOTE: it was raining and cold here in SF... I had my window opened all the way up too.. .. For what I paid for this hotel, i'd say it was worth the stay and will continue on staying here as many times as I will come here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Denver, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

This would be a lovely hotel, should you not mind awful customer service and the nightclub conveniently located next door that plays obnoxiously loud music until after 2am. I'm 23 years old and it even irritated me. More so, the hotel neglects to warn you about this. Upon check-in, my reservation was not coded correctly (as I was visiting on business and my company is covering room and tax). A $50 pending charge was to be placed on my credit card for incidentals, however the hotel charged my card $150 EACH night that I stayed for a total of over $800 during the week that I was there, overdrawing my account resulting in hefty penalties and hours of phone calls to the bank. The hotel's Front Desk and Management staff could not have cared any less to assist in speaking with the bank. One associate even went as far to tell me "I'd take it up with your bank, it's not really our problem." I requested on FOUR different occassions via e-mail and voicemail to speak with a manager, only to have my calls and requests ignored. The hotel later informed me that it "was a computer glitch" and expected that that was explanation enough. The overall lack of concern is beyond alarming. I didn't know of the nightclub next door until Friday night, and even with my I-pod in, the noise was unbearable and apparently no other guestrooms were available to move to. So unbearable in fact, that it is now 2:15am, I am still unable to sleep and have a plane to catch in five hours. While the hotel is centrally located, I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. I have been here for a week, dealt with every Front Desk associate on the staff, only to find they're all as appalling as the Manager, that still hasn't returned one phone call. There were a slew of other small incidents during the week that went unresolved as well, but I'm running out of characters here. Bottom line: spend your money on a hotel that is deserving of your money, and this, I can assure you, is not the place.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My girlfriend and I got a great deal on a trip to San Francisco, including three nights at the Hotel Fusion. I'd been to SF before, so I knew that it was a great location. We read previous reviews about the not-so-stellar breakfast, but decided we could live with it. The hotel is easy to get to and clean. Our room was spotless, with the exception of some food stains on the curtain. The coffee pot was nowhere near an outlet, so we had to do some rearranging. Our room was on the second floor facing the street. Many people complained about noise at this hotel, but we didn't find that to be a problem. With the windows closed, we couldn't hear the people partying at the club downstairs on Saturday night.

However, we had one big problem with the hotel: the staff and their lack of concern for their guests. On our first day at the hotel we found ourselves on the elevator with a homeless man who was wandering around the hotel. As two young female travelers, we didn't like the idea of random homeless people traipsing about the place. (We're from New York City, so we deal with homeless people everyday. But not feeling safe in a hotel is another matter entirely.) We immediately went downstairs to see the concierge about the matter. He called a colleague of his, who went upstairs to investigate. Apparently, homeless people come into the building frequently. Instead of asking the man to leave, the hotel staff person simply said to him, "Hey, you scared those girls." Not exactly the response we were looking for. Nevertheless, from that point on, we took the stairs.

Two days later, while waiting in the lobby for a tour bus to pick us up, a homeless woman wandered in ranting about satan and pop culture. Several hotel guests who didn't speak English were standing near the door. The concierge walked over to their bags to make sure nothing was stolen, but he didn't ask the homeless woman to leave the building. This is just not acceptable.

I understand that homelessness is a huge problem in San Francisco. I understand that I cannot compare the homeless culture in every city to that of New York City. However, there should be borders - and a hotel should be one of those borders. I did not feel safe in this hotel and am not likely to return.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the staff / customer service
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bayarea57, General Manager at Hotel Fusion, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
With great concern we read your review and we thank you very much for your feedback. It is much appreciated. We want to assure you and all other potential guests of Hotel Fusion that it is certainly our policy and practice to aggressively prohibit any loitering and/or trespassing on our property. We also want to state that this is not a common issue that we experience within our property, although it certainly is an issue that we struggle with as a City. We sincerely regret your incident and will investigate and retrain our staff if necessary. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Been to Hotel Fusion? Share your experiences!