“Good place to hangout and have some good beer” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #210 of 719 things to do in San Francisco
Charlotte
6 attraction reviews
“Good place to hangout and have some good beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I travel a lot to San Francisco but this was the first time I went to Speakeasy. It's exactly in a very exciting area of San Francisco (near Candlestick Park) so it's not very easy to get to it by public transportation like the BART but it does have a bus stop right out side. The tap room is only open until 9pm each day and there isn't anywhere to go near by after the close, which is my major complaint. The main entrance door is pretty cool with the old sliding lookout window from the prohibition era. The beer is good, but it is on the hoppy side, so keep that in mind. Also Friday and Saturday nights are family nights so people can bring their kids to the brewery but they cannot be in the tap room. I recommend anyone who likes craft beer to check this place out.

Visited March 2013

Hartsville, SC
41 attraction reviews
“If you love beer, you'll love Speakeasy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I were looking for something to do for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. We had heard of Speakeasy before, looked it up and headed out to a very industrial part of SF. The building is barely marked, and quite easy to miss. I parked in a small parking lot, and say a makeshift sign on the door to go to the loading dock. I made it inside the brewery and was so surprised.

The place was... raw. In a great way. Pallets of beer and kegs were everywhere. The hoppers of grain were right there. A couple of barricades and a few chairs... nothing fancy. But let me tell you, this was the best beer that I have ever had. Well worth a trip to the city, just to find this little slice of heaven!

Visited November 2012
San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
“What a wonderful surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This place is almost hidden...away from the chaos of downtown, I wasn't sure what to expect while driving through the streets of what looked like mostly industrial businesses. Then out pop the eyes of the logo and what a pleasant surprise. If you've never been to a tap room it's very different from a bar, almost like wine tasting only with beer. I saw children playing on the hillside while their parents tried the different beers on tap. They brew their own rootbeer for the little ones or the DD's to try, or anyone else for that matter. They did not have any left by the time my party showed up so I can't say how it was, maybe next time. There isnt very many chairs so prepare to stand. They did have a BBQ food truck out front in case you got hungry. The atmosphere was very nice, chill, and everyone was friendly, except for one bartender. He wasn't to helpful or knowledgable about the different beers and didn't seem to care to help you out. Perhaps we caught him on a bad day...? Overall I enjoyed myself I plan on going back soon.

7 attraction reviews
“On Tap at Scoma's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Not too hoppy, with a roasted malt flavor and a hint of spice.

Visited May 2012
Manhattan Beach, CA
15 attraction reviews
“Must stop in an SF brewery tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

To start, I might be biased simply because I love independent, underground breweries but Speakeasy is awesome.

We went for their tasting that they have on Fridays from 4- 9 pm (I think they're also open on Saturdays now). My brother and cousin go frequently but this was a first for me and apparently they're pretty legendary in San Francisco.

Beers are cheap- only $3. The atmosphere is pretty minimalist, you're basically drinking in a warehouse that's been converted to a brewery.

Several people had kids with them and it's a low-key place so I think that as long as you're in control it's fine for them to come along. It's not a place where people come to get drunk- it's only open until 9pm so it's fairly family friendly (or as much so as a beer tasting room can be).

There was an outside vendor with mexican food for sale for cheap so bring cash if you want to grab something to eat.

A word of caution- Speakeasy is not in the best neighborhood so just be aware. There were a few... interesting characters around when we were there. But nothing to keep me from going back.

Visited March 2012