“Chips done right with a British smile” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 5,005 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: British, Fish & Chips
New Brunswick
“Chips done right with a British smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Well once again our tour bus guys gave us rave reviews on Cod Mothers.. hesitant because the previous raving review turned out to be an expensive mess of a restaurant. Codmothers is what it is.. what you see and read about is what you get. Real English style fish and chips.. (no French fries to be seen). My granddad was from Manchester and he never recognized the term French fry lol. Codmothers is a bit rough, she cooks from a lunch truck and the seating is outdoors under a canopy and waving Union Jack. I ordered a fish and chips and received two large golden deep fried filets of either cod or haddock.. Being from the East Coast of Canada we know our fish.. and this was fresh and well cooked. Excellent! Was it the best meal we had in San Fran... no! But for the price, the experience and friendliness it was right up there. Thank you Codmother... great meal!

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
“Best Fish & Chips in the country and Cheap!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Fisherman's Wharf, this eatery is a block down the road. We were told that this was highly recommended and went to get a bite to eat, found it and were surprised to find that it was a self serve trailer with a bunch of tables and chairs. I was a bit taken aback, as it was recommended by a well traveled and selective type person. The food was the draw,it was excellent. It was cheaper than a meal at Arthur Treachers and was large pieces of fish and chips....and fresh, hot and delish! I was very surprised, but it is Yelp #1 British Fish & Chips, for good reason! Find this spot out, you'll be glad you did!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Great seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

You can pay a lot on the waterfront for fish and chips or you can go to Codmaothers and enjoy them for $9!!You have to be quick as it fills fast as there is limited seating but well worth it-I tried the fish tacos and my husband had fish and chips-very delicious-closes around 8 so you need to get in early

Visited September 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Cute stand - Great Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I sought this place out as I'd read about it here and I wasn't leaving SF without having some fish! It's a cute little food truck with a small eating area in front of it - it's nestled between a souvenir stand and another food truck that isn't open. Everything is made to order so expect about a 15 min. wait. I can't tell you what "authentic" fish and chips are - but the accent the young lady had was British and I loved how friendly everyone was. The portions are large! Two long fish planks and a basket of chips (like steak fries) and we also ordered the shrimp tacos - which were awesome! There are ranges of spiciness for the fish/shrimp tacos and we went with spicy - not a huge kick but a little bite of spice and packed with flavor. I dropped my fish plank on the way to my table and the lady noticed - she promptly made another one for me and while it was already too much food - I loved that it was offered. The service is awesome, prices are very good for the portion size and location and the food great! The seating area is a little packed because there isn't much shade - maybe only half the tables are covered - that was the only ding to this great place.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gainesville, Georgia
“Great Fish and Chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Found out about this place on various websites so we had to check it out. There was a bit of a line, but it was worth it. THe staff was very friendly. They have outside tables and we had to wait for someone to leave before you sit, but you wait for your fresh cooked meal also, so not a big deal for us. We had fish & Chips and Shrimp taco, made to order. The sauce with the shrimp was awesome. Great meal and not the touristy place on the Wharf.

• Visited September 2013