“Top notch service with fine culinary treats” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Canela Bistro Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #715 of 4,944 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Spanish, Tapas, Bistro
Dining options: Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Noe St.
Transit: One block from Castro or Church Muni stations (K, L, M, J, T) Also two blocks from Noe and Duboce station for N. Multiple buses (22, 24, 23) run within a block distance of Canela.
“Top notch service with fine culinary treats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is actually a cute place in Castro. We decided to check it out since my brother-in-law knew one of the owners. It's got a nice ambiance - cozy and romantic. The service was fantastic with very attentive wait staff. We got the white sangria - my sister had never had that before. I wish it had more fruit and wasn't as tasty as other white sangria I've had but it was a light, refreshing white wine.

The Spanish tortilla, flatbread with ham and peaches and seafood paella. If you want the paella, order right when you sit down since it takes a while for them to make it. The flatbread was an interesting mix of salty and sweet. While the paella had some type of seasoning that is different from traditional Spanish paella, it was very tasty and we couldn't get enough of it. I'm glad I got to experience this eatery as I'm sure I would have walked right past it on Market, otherwise, since it's on a quiet block with not a ton of traffic. Definitely plan on going back and trying other dishes - perhaps take my Spanish friend when he comes to visit to get his thoughts, especially since he makes awesome paella as well.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Long Beach, California
“Great Spanish Tapas in Prime Castro Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It's wonderful to find a restaurant started by people with an actual passion and interest in the food they serve, who want to create a comfortable space and do playful things with an established type of cuisine-- say, Spanish tapas. Canela does tapas quite well, and does so in a lovely space just off of a busy corner of Market Street (just east of Noe). The waitstaff couldn't be friendlier, the short wine list works with the food, and the food itself is great.

For me to enjoy mussels (which normally I just do not like), the dish must be pretty darn special. The empanada gallega (with tuna en escabeche) was awesome, the lamb pinchos morunos were to die for, the sopa de garbanzos warmed the body and soul (and reminded me of when I was a student in Madrid), and the birthday candle-decorated churros con chocolate were a perfect end to our unrushed, lovely meal. Well worth every penny!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“This has become a regular hotspot for us. Well done!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

It's easy to rate this restaurant as excellent...because -- just like tapas where you eat many plates -- there are many reasons why it's excellent.

We love that we can choose from so many items (we now have our favorites no doubt) but what Mat, the Chef, and Justin his sous, do so well is that they bring in many items depending on the season. We love seasonal and farm to table food and they are great at that.

We love the decor and by choice, we have sat in pretty much every area of the restaurant. Most restaurants you may truly only want to sit in just a certain area, but with Canela there is no bad seat in the house.

Lastly we love the service. Their staff are smart and friendly and treat everyone with care and a smile whether it seems its your first time or been in (like us now) pretty much every week.

Like I said this has become a regular spot for us and we are truly ecstatic when we are able to turn others onto Canela as well. Cheers!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mountain View, CA
“Great tapas and great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We decided to try a new restaurant that we had never heard of tonight and had an excellent meal. Canela offers tasty tapas - papas braves, Spanish Tortilla, Flatbreads, Gaspacho, warm homemade bread, and more. The wines were smooth and our server was just the right blend of friendly and knowledgeable. This is a good choice for Tapas in SF.

• Visited June 2013
San Francisco, California
“Authentic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The food hear does remind me of tapas in Barcelona. Overall, if you like tapas, I think you'll enjoy this place. I'm not a seafood eater, so some of the menu options don't work for me, but I enjoyed the ones we chose.

I'd like to go back to try some of their more substantial entrees and flatbreads.

• Visited May 2013