“Security guard a huge jerk” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #198 of 393 Activities in San Francisco
Type: Sports Complexes, Sports
Minneapolis
3 attraction reviews
“Security guard a huge jerk”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My son and I were in town and drove to candlestick park just to look at it before it gets demolished. I drove into a parking lot and asked the security guard if we could get closer to take a photo. First he signaled to me to stay put while he finished up his phone call. Meanwhile some other guy in his car in front of me was just trying to leave and my car was blocking his way. I signaled to him that I couldn't move but then he started honking and getting upset. Once the security guard got off the phone I told him I needed help because the guy in his car was getting mad. The security guard simply said "please leave." So I did. What a terrible experience. Don't feel bad to see this landmark building come down because of the rudeness of its staff.

Visited August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Southern California
25 attraction reviews
“Candlestick Park is Pretty Crappy, But I'm Going to Miss It!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I attended two events at Candlestick in this, its last year of operation--the SF 49ers v. the Arizona Cardinals home game in October and the Legends of Candlestick, a flag football game featuring past 49er gridiron greats v. the All-Stars, former players from other teams. When I was there in October, I was frankly shocked at how crappy the stadium looked--not the field; it was kept in good condition. But quite a few other parts of the stadium were showing its age. It was kind of pathetic that a bunch of light bulbs of the stadium lights were missing and hadn't been replaced. What, the Yorks couldn't afford it? But I think it's sad that they couldn't just fix the old girl up and continue to play there. It's a stadium with history, and I hate seeing historical monuments get torn down. Farewell, Candlestick. You will not be forgotten.

Visited July 2014
Tracy, California
102 attraction reviews
“"Crowded"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

After my “YELP” assessment of “O. Co” Stadium and watching the “Oakland Raider’s” home opener, I attended a San Francisco 49’er home game yesterday. Of course, watching us lose to the Colts was a disappointment, but his isn’t about me.
I've attended countless events here over the years but with this being the last year before the 49’er’s move to Santa Clara, I thought I would attend one last game here.
Although, I’m both an “Oakland Raider & San Francisco 49’er” fan, Candlestick always packed them in, not so at “O. Co” coliseum and I wished that wasn’t the case. The day I went (Raider’s home opener against Jaguar), I heard there was over 53,000 (hard to believe) in attendance!
Anyway, getting here was an undertaking. I didn’t catch BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) like I did for the Oakland Raider’s game because you had to transfer over to a shuttle and I didn’t want the stress after the game, which sometime turns nasty and takes a long time getting back home.
The drive over was pleasurable, although congested because it’s a home game. Driving over the new “Bay Bridge” was really neat and the view was much improved over the old one which is still standing and will take years to take down.
Driving into Candlestick is the usual bumper to bumper and I didn’t look forward to leaving afterwards! Like “O. Co,” Candlestick is old but at least the 49’er’s have a new stadium to look forward to next year, and traffic for me won’t be as bad (wishful thinking)! Oakland Raider’s, I guess, we will be the oldest stadium standing pretty soon, if were not already there.
This stadium being on the other side of the bay gets cold very quickly as I have attested to from coming here over the years. I unquestionably bring a jacket no matter if it’s hot and balmy because late in the afternoon it will get cold and today was no exception!
Security…, what can I say about security here and elsewhere other than to say thanks to the “911 knuckleheads” for stepped up security just about everywhere you go in this country. I hate having to empty out my pockets, wallets, bags, etc. Hell, the only thing missing is “TSA” uniforms! “What, no body scans, aw-shucks!”
Attending games “nowadays requires you to carry just about nothing, other than cash, so they can squeeze you even more once you enter the prison, I mean stadium!” All kidding aside, I guess it’s for the better…
Another experience I would rather forget is being “squished” like toothpaste trying to navigate these hallways of hell. People yelling and cursing lends to that “stadium feeling” of being there! “Yaa, you can have it!”
Like most stadiums I’ve been to that are old, the seating is nothing to write home to mom about and this one’s no exception. And just like Raider fans, “Niner Stadium” is no exception, with the 1% of knuckleheads who do the same crap here, mocking players, fans, hurling crap like chimpanzees at a wildlife refuge, and just conducting themselves poorly. That’s why most of the time; I just enjoy watching the game at home rather than put up with all this crap...
Some would argue that it’s the “experience of being there!” Well, I’ve been “there, done that” plenty of times already! I guess I’ll spend a little more for better seating rather than settle for “general” seating. You get what you pay for as they say.
It doesn’t matter what stadium I’ve gone to, the food lines are long and the chow is way overpriced. I usually just stick with the traditional fare of hotdogs and hamburgers which are still overpriced but “You gotta eat!”
Of course after dining on the “exquisite food” you’re back in yet another line waiting to “pee” and miss the game. I think I’ve spent at least an hour away from the game, “eating, peeing, and trying to find my seat again... Oh what fun!”
The experience of watching the actual game was thrilling and in between squinting and looking through my binoculars most of the game, it wasn’t that bad. Of course watching the ball being thrown on the field along with “popcorn and other assorted items past my head was also part of the game experience I’ve seen over the years!” I guess I’m just getting too old for this stuff.
In closing, losing to the visiting Colts made the trip home that much longer and “a not so bright review!” I actually saw a lot of fans start leaving during the 4th quarter, probably to get a head start on getting out or the fact that we were losing and in hindsight, maybe I should’ve left when they did.
Traffic was amplified and grumpy fans only accentuated their frustrations by cursing and yelling which didn’t speed up the congestion. I didn’t want to remember this place with a loss but as they say, “there is always next time.”

Visited August 2013
“Game in Candlestick Park: 49ers vs. Colts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We went to a game of the 49ers. We thought we were pretty early arriving three hours before kick-off, but that was thinking European I guess. When we arrived all of the parking was filled with large pick up trucks and grills. The pre-game atmosphere was great, the game wasn't, but the experience in total was great!

Visited September 2013
Palo Alto, CA
18 attraction reviews
“Lines, lines, and more lines”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I visited Candlestick Park for the first time to watch a USA soccer Men's National Team friendly match. We had a terrible time, not because of the game but because of the venue. To start with, Candlestick park has a no backpacks or large bags rule. We didn't know about this until we were at the gate, so my husband had to make the 10-minute walk back to the car to return his backpack. Why not post signs with this rule in the parking lot so people will know about it??? Also, even though attendance (20,000+) was less than 1/3 of capacity (69,000+), the lines for the snack bars were unbelievable. Halftime was 15 minutes, and we spent all of it waiting in line to get a hot dog -- and we had to give up because the line was not moving. I think about 4 people were served during those 15 minutes. Unacceptable! We tried again, 15 minutes before the end of the game, and the line was shorter, but moving just as slowly. We finally got served, just as the final whistle blew. I will never visit Candlestick Park again.

Visited May 2014