“Great Location and Friendly, Helpful Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Hayes Valley Inn
417 Gough St., San Francisco, CA 94102 (Hayes Valley)   |
Ranked #20 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Great Location and Friendly, Helpful Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Hayes Valley Inn in Oct 2012. I made the reservation directly with the hotel and ended up making 3 changes to my reservation. They were always friendly and helpful; and they never acted put out by my changes.

The Inn is located in an area with good restaurants and interesting shops just a few steps away. It is also convenient to City Hall, Opera House, and public transportation to anywhere in The City.

The Inn is an original victorian. Some of the rooms were more elaborately decorated than the relatively plain room(s) we had. The weather was unusually hot so we had to open the windows and found street noise disturbing. The Inn was able to move us to a room on the "back side", not as bright as our original room, but quieter. They warned us that there was an exhaust fan outside that room that made noise, but we were not bothered by the constant hum of the fan, versus the honking, gunning engines and general partying when the bars closed that occurred on the street side. That second room was a "pet friendly" room, spartanly furnished with simple bedding and without carpet. My husband is very animal allergic but had no troubles in the room. I consider that a very good testimony about thoroughness of the cleaning crew. Rooms have sink/vanities and each floor has two water closets and a separate shower. All of which were clean.

The Inn has no lobby, but has two common rooms: an informal kitchen/dining room and a parlor. Both were comfortable and a good place to interact with the other guests. The cold breakfast buffet offered a wide variety of choices (breads, bagels, muffins, cereals, cheese, ham, peanut butter, jams, fresh fruit and juices) and coffee, teas and coffees were available every evening until at least 9pm.

A few words about parking:
A car is not needed to visit SF and if you bring one parking can be a hassle. Realize that parking anywhere in SF is killer and unfortunately the Inn does not have any guest parking and basicially takes no responsiblity for guest parking. Overnight parking 7p-7a in that neighborhood costs about $30/night. That only covers overnight, you have to move your car or pay the day rate, too. If you are an early riser you can park for free at a meter overnight, but then need to go feed the meter early in the morning. About 3-4 blocks away is 2 hr non-metered parking, where you can park overnight for free, the 2 hours parking starts in the morning so you'll need to move your car by 11am. Another parking option is the Performing Arts Garage, which had the most reasonable rates in the area, but it is only open weekdays and when there is a performance. We parked there on a Friday, the garage was closed on Saturday (which was fine because we did not need the car on Saturday), but we could not have got it out of the garage without paying at least $50 fee to get the car out when the garage is closed. The garage was open on Sunday when we needed to retrieve our car, so that arrangement worked fine for us. But ASK and verify the garage hours if you elect to park there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Recently travelled to San Fran with friends, and were looking for affordable accommodation north of Market St. - Hayes Valley Inn definitely fits the bill! Just a couple blocks away from City Hall, HVInn is surrounded by wonderful restaurants and is only moments away from major bus routes, and a short walk from the F-line streetcar (which gets you to the Embarcadaro & Fisherman's Wharf). The rooms aren't expansive, but they are very comfortable! You have a sink in your room - each floor has a shared shower and 2 washrooms. While the shared bath concept has deterred me in the past, I never had to wait to use the facilities, and they were always kept clean & well stocked. The HVInn made my 4-day stay in the area very pleasant & the desk staff were always very friendly & quite knowledgeable. I would definitely go back here if I come to SF again!

• Stayed October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hayes Valley Inn is a nice hotel and I`m sure there countless nice hotels in San Fransisco - What makes this place is the people who work there. From the manager to the maids they were all genuinely friendly and treated us with respect and courtesy throughout our stay.
The hotel itself is not a new building but has been beautifully decorated and is as nice a place as any for comfort your likely to find at this price. Its about 20 mins by bus to the main areas of Downtown, Fishermans Walf or the Beach areas but if your feeling fit and want to see a little SF by foot its not actually much longer as the traffic in SF is always choked.
Street noise at night can be an issue in this hotel but then I honestly think all but the tallest suffer the same thing. SF is a vibrant place and when the partying stops the services start so there is usually some noise. The hotel perhaps could fit secondary glazing which would really transform the sleeping experience but as I say this hotel is no worse than whats typical in a city.
The rooms are no en-suite that might put some off but we had no issue with it as the bathroom and toilets are seperate so there was never a time we had to queue.
The breakfast was the best we had in all the hotels we staid in with a wide range of buffet style foods. In the evening they offer complimentary cookies and hot drinks whiich is a really nice addition but didnt do my wasteline much good :)

Within easy walking distance from the hotel are places to eat to suit all budgets (we liked Flipper Dippers) a burger place but dont confuse these genuine freshly prepared burgers with the rubbery rubbish you get from the place with the big M.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms adjacent the extractor fan that runs 24/7 and is noisy - Sorry Steph just telling it...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Just loved everything about this hotel!good place to stay!next time I would stay here again.we didn't have any problems with one bathroom on the floor.local people around,with cute restaurants,close to public transportation,safe and clean!

• Stayed September 2012
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Very friendly staff. The rooms and bathroom were clean and tidy. The breakfast was great and well stocked. The rooms don't have air condition and when we were there when the weather was very warm. If you have a room facing the main road it can be a bit noisy. The rest room and bath are very small but very clean.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the main road
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
napoli
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Breakfast is very tasty and big. Muffins, milk, yogurt, cornflakes,orange juice, cold water, fruit, several types of bread and peanut butter and always two kinds of jam. The breakfast room and the parlor aside are so cosy! Tideness is a must. Rooms and bathrooms are spotless. Every day long. The cleaning staff works without rest, My best compliment. Never seen shared bathroom so clean!A comfortable basin in the room. The staff is very helpful except one of them: the older one. He is sometimes lazy. He didn't tell me they had a bike room when he sent me to a place to hire it. I was stolen my bike cause I parked it on the siidewalk just outside the hotel.It's simply unforgivable. That caused me a 200 dollars deposit loss. He delayed to call me a taxi causing me to almost miss the greyhound bus to Salinas. I made notice that to him and he was so rude.location is very central, so close to Opera and some museums, It's in the middle between Civic Center, Market Street by one side and Soma, Castro and Mission by the other. Moreover: Heights with Alamo Square, Buena Vista Park and Golden Gate Park below.All places far for touristic traps. I couldn't believe to my eyes! Wonderful experience that I'll repeat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Prairieville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here the past three during our yearly football trip. We love everything from the staff to the breakfast. I personally am a fan of the cheese and meat tray. The rooms are clean and the shared bathroom and shower are always clean and fresh. If you are a light sleeper or can be easily awaken via traffic noise you will need to make sure to ask for a room on the backside of the building or in the annex.
All and all I am glad we found this place and I will continue to return.

Room Tip: The Torret room gives you a little extra space at the end of the hall. 307 is the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hayes Valley Inn? Share your experiences!