“The People made the experience” 4 of 5 stars

Hayes Valley Inn
417 Gough St., San Francisco, CA 94102 (Hayes Valley)   |
Ranked #17 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The People made the experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hayes Valley Inn is a nice hotel and I`m sure there countless nice hotels in San Fransisco - What makes this place is the people who work there. From the manager to the maids they were all genuinely friendly and treated us with respect and courtesy throughout our stay.
The hotel itself is not a new building but has been beautifully decorated and is as nice a place as any for comfort your likely to find at this price. Its about 20 mins by bus to the main areas of Downtown, Fishermans Walf or the Beach areas but if your feeling fit and want to see a little SF by foot its not actually much longer as the traffic in SF is always choked.
Street noise at night can be an issue in this hotel but then I honestly think all but the tallest suffer the same thing. SF is a vibrant place and when the partying stops the services start so there is usually some noise. The hotel perhaps could fit secondary glazing which would really transform the sleeping experience but as I say this hotel is no worse than whats typical in a city.
The rooms are no en-suite that might put some off but we had no issue with it as the bathroom and toilets are seperate so there was never a time we had to queue.
The breakfast was the best we had in all the hotels we staid in with a wide range of buffet style foods. In the evening they offer complimentary cookies and hot drinks whiich is a really nice addition but didnt do my wasteline much good :)

Within easy walking distance from the hotel are places to eat to suit all budgets (we liked Flipper Dippers) a burger place but dont confuse these genuine freshly prepared burgers with the rubbery rubbish you get from the place with the big M.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms adjacent the extractor fan that runs 24/7 and is noisy - Sorry Steph just telling it...

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Just loved everything about this hotel!good place to stay!next time I would stay here again.we didn't have any problems with one bathroom on the floor.local people around,with cute restaurants,close to public transportation,safe and clean!

• Stayed September 2012
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Very friendly staff. The rooms and bathroom were clean and tidy. The breakfast was great and well stocked. The rooms don't have air condition and when we were there when the weather was very warm. If you have a room facing the main road it can be a bit noisy. The rest room and bath are very small but very clean.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the main road
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
napoli
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Breakfast is very tasty and big. Muffins, milk, yogurt, cornflakes,orange juice, cold water, fruit, several types of bread and peanut butter and always two kinds of jam. The breakfast room and the parlor aside are so cosy! Tideness is a must. Rooms and bathrooms are spotless. Every day long. The cleaning staff works without rest, My best compliment. Never seen shared bathroom so clean!A comfortable basin in the room. The staff is very helpful except one of them: the older one. He is sometimes lazy. He didn't tell me they had a bike room when he sent me to a place to hire it. I was stolen my bike cause I parked it on the siidewalk just outside the hotel.It's simply unforgivable. That caused me a 200 dollars deposit loss. He delayed to call me a taxi causing me to almost miss the greyhound bus to Salinas. I made notice that to him and he was so rude.location is very central, so close to Opera and some museums, It's in the middle between Civic Center, Market Street by one side and Soma, Castro and Mission by the other. Moreover: Heights with Alamo Square, Buena Vista Park and Golden Gate Park below.All places far for touristic traps. I couldn't believe to my eyes! Wonderful experience that I'll repeat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Prairieville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here the past three during our yearly football trip. We love everything from the staff to the breakfast. I personally am a fan of the cheese and meat tray. The rooms are clean and the shared bathroom and shower are always clean and fresh. If you are a light sleeper or can be easily awaken via traffic noise you will need to make sure to ask for a room on the backside of the building or in the annex.
All and all I am glad we found this place and I will continue to return.

Room Tip: The Torret room gives you a little extra space at the end of the hall. 307 is the best.
Holon, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in the external building (Ivy Street). That building is in front of a construction site - didn't bother us since we're heavy sleepers. the room was excellent, so were the shared bathroom and all else in the building itself.
The breakfast was good, the staff was really friendly.
The location is OK, but there are good and bad streets around. very close to Van Ness station (7 min walk).
A Good price for a good BnB.

Prairieville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went for our yearly visit to SF and stayed for our third time at Hayes Valley Inn. We love this bed & breakfast. They've got a lovely continental breakfast with ham and cheese, fruit bowl, assorted breads and jams, cereal, yogurt, orange juice and milk.
We normally leave the windows open during the day and by the time we get back to our room, it is late and our room is nice and chilly. We close the window so it is quieter at night. The hotel does have ear plugs for you to use b/c of the street noise.

Room Tip: Try and get a room opposite the street so it is a little quieter. But if you can't score a room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hayes Valley Inn? Share your experiences!