“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Holon, Israel
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in the external building (Ivy Street). That building is in front of a construction site - didn't bother us since we're heavy sleepers. the room was excellent, so were the shared bathroom and all else in the building itself.
The breakfast was good, the staff was really friendly.
The location is OK, but there are good and bad streets around. very close to Van Ness station (7 min walk).
A Good price for a good BnB.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Prairieville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went for our yearly visit to SF and stayed for our third time at Hayes Valley Inn. We love this bed & breakfast. They've got a lovely continental breakfast with ham and cheese, fruit bowl, assorted breads and jams, cereal, yogurt, orange juice and milk.
We normally leave the windows open during the day and by the time we get back to our room, it is late and our room is nice and chilly. We close the window so it is quieter at night. The hotel does have ear plugs for you to use b/c of the street noise.

Room Tip: Try and get a room opposite the street so it is a little quieter. But if you can't score a room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My friend and I had reservations at this place for 4 nights. We told clerk we are senior citizens and were looking for a safe place. He told us about the shared bathroom and bunk beds to which we had no objection. Upon our arrival , at 8 PM, we were given a set of keys and told to go around the corner to the annex. This annex is located in a dark, narrow alley in front of a construction site with no connection to the main building. We went back and forth , up and down, 3 times, carrying our luggage, between the main section and the annex as the keys would not open the entry door. Finally, the clerk requested assistance from a maintenance man, who also could not open the door. We were left again in the alley, lugging our luggage to the main entrance. We demanded another room and to speak to the manager. The clerk told us that they were totally booked and no other room was available. We demanded to be booked at another hotel. After waiting for 45 minutes, the clerk showed us to a room in the same floor as the reception area which she offered to us for our stay. The manager never showed up or apologized for this situation. What angered us the most was the lie regarding room availability and the lack of response from management.
Besides the above complaint, the place is clean, staff friendly and breakfast is plentiful and varied. If you drive, be advised that parking is a huge problem. But you can park at the covered parking in the corner. Do not park in the uncovered parking, it is a rip off,

Room Tip: Make sure you ask whether or not your room is in the annex or the main building
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for four nights and I have almost nothing but nice things to say about the place. Location wise, you're a 5-10 minute walk to the 47 bus which will take you to all of the major tourist spots. Excellent breakfast AND an afternoon tea time from 4 to 10 with cookies and tea. What a great idea! The woman who owns the place is very kind and helpful as are the staff members.
Rooms are very clean and attractive. Only drawbacks: one shower for each floor. If you stay here, don't wait until 8 in the morning to take a shower. It WILL be occupied. Also, if you're here on a romantic getaway, the walls are very thin and (not to be too risque) but the beds squeak like crazy! Haha. I think you know what I'm talking about. I heard at least two other couples having a a pretty good time as I walked to the bathroom. Other than that, I would recommend this place to anyone. I will definitely be staying here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Visited San Fransico and stayed here for two nights. The price was $115 per night and it provided your basic needs. My friend and I were given a room in the second part of the inn just around the corner from the main entrance. It was in a safe area. Clean environment. Shared bathrooms. Small tv. The room was nice though. Two beds and good fit in the room.
The breakfast was excellent I thought! It's in a little kitchen like area and people staying at the inn gather to eat in the area. Wide variety of food and all are really good.
Great for the price!

• Stayed August 2012
Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was a friendly place to stay and reasonably priced in comparison to some other places. It was not particularly central, although there are plenty of places to eat within walking distance and the management were able to advise on public transport. Ceiling fan in the room was great. We were less enthusiastic about the shared bathrooms - they were certainly immaculately clean, however when the hotel is busy you may have to wait a while for access to the shower in the morning! We were on the third floor which meant that we had to lug our suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. The breakfast was help yourself and really good with fantastic bagels and lovely cake. The kitchen could get a bit busy if lots of guests came to breakfast simultaneously. There is a computer and printer for guest use which is handy for printing out boarding passes etc. If you like dogs then you will like the pet dog which sits in the hallway - I am not really a fan and did not like having to step around it, avoid treading on dog toys and getting barked at when leaving. Having said that, the dog was friendly and in no way intimidating. Overall I would consider staying here again but I might be tempted to stay nearer to Union Square.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
northern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Hayes Valley Inn is not your typical predictable "modest" hotel. When I arrived, I was delighted to find this place very clean, charming, quaint, and comfortable. The hallway bathrooms are shared, yes, but this never seemed to be a problem - and they were always clean and neat. Each room has a sink in it, and that was handy, too. The kitchen had tea and cookies available that afternoon,, and also had a lovely breakfast (with plenty of variety) the next morning. There was even a frig and a microwave there, so you could bring in your own food, store it, and heat up. An old-fashioned sitting room gave my family a place to visit and relax before going to our separate rooms. I felt safe walking in the neighborhood that evening, and using public transportation was easy from this location. The resident dog, Spot - a senior mutt - was a friend to all who would stop to give him a bit of attention. The Hayes Valley Inn will definitely be my "go-to" place when I need to stay overnight in SF again! it feels like a home away from home.

Room Tip: There are different styles from which to choose...my double bed was great, and my family had a "...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hayes Valley Inn? Share your experiences!