We stayed here for 3 days in September 2011. We had a great stay and can't really fault this place. From arrival, everything went smoothly. We had room 612 which was a double room, very comfortable. All mod cons, including: hairdryer, toiletries provided, plenty of towels, small fridge, safe, coffee maker, free wifi, lots of pillows and a very comfortable bed, pay movies, air conditioning and fan. Water and ice available down the hall.
Breakfast was great - all the food you could wish for. One morning there were lots of men in uniform (what with this being a place with military links), so nice eye-candy for the ladies! All the staff are very courteous. They don't mind you taking away anything you can't eat or getting a take away breakfast or extra cup of coffee before you go. In fact, there are paper cups and carry-out boxes especially for this purpose.
In the afternoon there is a free 2 hour happy hour which we indulged in every day! This is a brilliant perk and we found out some great tips of places to go from the bar staff.
The business centre is good. It has 4 computers and a couple of printers. This was useful for us as we managed to book hotels for the rest of our trip using this facility. There is also a little garden terrace off the business centre which is a nice place to sit on a sunny afternoon.
We didn't use the sports facilities but they are extensive - pool with 3 lanes, lots of gym equipment. It seemed quite busy around tea time as the gym is also open to non-residents.
We didn't use the restaurant either but I heard good things about it from other people who we chatted to at happy hour.
The concierge is also really helpful.
The hotel is well placed for all the sites. We took the cable car one block away up to Fisherman's Whart to get the Alcatraz and it's a short walk from the hotel to Union Square. We also walked to Chinatown on a couple of evenings and this is a relatively easy walk (not uphill!). We also walked from the Powell St BART when we first arrived. A very friendly local gave us directions. I think it is 5 or 6 blocks from the BART station up Powell.
I really like this place and would recommend it to anyone visiting San Francisco.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marines' Memorial Club & Hotel is just off Union Square and the cable car next to art galleries and museums. Built in the 1920's the 138 room hotel is fully renovated with comfortable air conditioned guestrooms and suites. Free wireless, robes, wall safes, on demand movies, cable TV and breakfast for two included in the rates and 2 hour cocktail party nightly in the 12th floor steakhouse restaurant and lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Marines Memorial Club Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marines Memorial San Francisco
- Marines Memorial Club
- Marines Memorial Hotel San Francisco