We recently stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding.
Unsure of what to expect with "The Marine Club" - we were a little hesitant about staying here.
I'm happy to report, we were pleasantly surprised! Perfectly situated in San Francisco's busy tourist area of Union Square, this hotel was only a short walk (downhill!) to many tourist attractions: shopping, cable cars and more important, the public transport systems (BART and MUNI) at Powell St. There was a fun bar (The White Horse) two doors down, a liquor store right next door and a Walgreens, a short walk away; all necessities when booking a hotel in my opinion.
The boutique hotel has a small lobby, but is quite large once inside. The hotel is a memorial to past Marine service and a service to current Marines; so the hotel is a Marine museum and we saw many Marines (past and present) on the premises.
Our standard room was small; but very clean with all the standard hotel amenities. Our friends were staying in the Deluxe rooms and Suites; which were both VERY spacious; so if being able to spread out is important to you; I would opt for a Deluxe room. The (Bridal) Suite was enormous with a full sized living room, separate bedroom and separate bath area/toilette area. Definitely worth it for a special occasion.
Included in our standard room rate, we received complimentary full buffet breakfast and "happy hour" cocktails. Both were fabulous. The breakfast buffet was traditional breakfast buffet with eggs, sausages, French toast etc. with all kinds of breads, pastries and fruit, coffee tea and juice. The happy hour from 4-6 included complimentary beer, wine and cocktails and was such a generous amenity. Worth the price of the room, right there!
As the hotel is geared at the service community; as expected, there are many older couples and families staying here; so don't expect partying in the halls (or if it was going on, we didn't see it/hear it). My friend also hosted her wedding here; and I can say that the cocktail area and dining room were spacious and very classically beautiful.
The service we experienced at the front desk, dining’s rooms and event staff were absolutely lovely.
However, because this is a boutique hotel; expect to call for reservations (and make note of your own confirmation numbers; no email confirmation here); and expect the front desk to get a little busy, we called several times to no answer; but the staff themselves are absolutely fabulous.
Also, I advise booking early, as this place sells out very quickly!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marines' Memorial Club & Hotel is just off Union Square and the cable car next to art galleries and museums. Built in the 1920's the 138 room hotel is fully renovated with comfortable air conditioned guestrooms and suites. Free wireless, robes, wall safes, on demand movies, cable TV and breakfast for two included in the rates and 2 hour cocktail party nightly in the 12th floor steakhouse restaurant and lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Marines Memorial Club Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marines Memorial San Francisco
- Marines Memorial Club
- Marines Memorial Hotel San Francisco