“Charming and European, but maybe not so great for business” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at the Opera

Save Saved
You added Inn at the Opera to your Saves list
Inn at the Opera
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Fulton Street, San Francisco, CA 94102-4423 (Civic Center)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #30 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Cincinnati
“Charming and European, but maybe not so great for business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip during which I need to be close to the Conservatory and the Opera. Next time I will probably opt for a different place downtown and take a cab or the BART. The location is great for the Opera, Ballet, Symphony, or Conservatory events, but it is a bit isolated. Unless there is a show, hardly any people are around in that area after 5 or 6. Given that there are security guards at the Conservatory (a few blocks away) who won't let you into the facility unless someone says you have official business there, I gather that the area isn't all that safe. There are a couple of blocks of good (independently owned) restaurants and shops nearby, but many of them close early, catering primarily to the pre-show crowd. I finished work late and had a very difficult time finding a place to eat around 10 pm, and room service was closed. The room was extremely small with a very small closet for storing clothes (no dresser), and no place to put luggage. There was a microwave and fridge, which was convenient, but they were both a little beat up, as was the structure that held them--it was falling apart. The entire time I was there, the wi-fi was not in service, which was extremely frustrating, given that I was there to work. The staff did offer use of a computer downstairs, but everything I needed was on my laptop.

Also, there was no desk or chair in my room, which meant that I had to work on my bed or at a nearby cafe.

Breakfast was included, and is served in a plush dining room. The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful.

Inn at the Opera reminded me of many hotels in Europe--very small rooms and elevator, limited room service, things not working, and plush old-world decor. I think it could possibly be nice for one night for going to the opera or symphony, but even then I would probably choose a different place in a different location. To me the proximity to the arts doesn't outweigh the tiny rooms and isolated feeling in that area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

564 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
San Jose
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

When I checked in, I walked to the front desk and waited. Nobody responded. "Hello?" I called out. Movement from the back, then a person came out, saying nothing. I said "checking in" and gave my name. Still without any response or greeting, the person shuffled the reservation list until she found my name. It was not a good start.

Then she told me the hotel parking lot was full, so I could not valet park. She told me to drive one block and then left one block, couldn't miss the parking lot. I asked if there was an attendant, because it was night, and dark. No, she said, you just swipe your credit card. I followed her directions, parked, and found the kiosk to pay. It dd not take credit cards. It was hard to read the sign in the dark, which said if you want to use credit cards you have to pay across the street. The hotel should have told me that. It's not the best area to be running around after dark, waving cash or a credit card.

Room was okay, nothing special, somewhat rundown. I had three lumpy puffy pillows, which made my neck crook at a funny angle. I called the front desk and asked for a flat pillow. "Flat? You mean deflated old pillows? No, we don't have any of those."

In the morning, the hot water was not very hot. Breakfast was continental only, which was a disappointment, because I had a long day ahead of me and wanted some scrambled eggs. Bad cheesy christmas music was playing too loudly in the breakfast room.

It's right next to City Hall, the opera house, Davies Hall, and state government buildings, so the location is good if that's why you are there. Otherwise, give me the Hotel Rex or Adagio downtown any day.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Bakersfield,Ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

The Inn At The Opera stay was very nice. From the minute we entered the Hotel the entire staff treated us very nice and they were all very friendly . The room was very clean and cozy.We will stay there again and tell our family and friends.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
San Rafael, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

We stay at the Inn every month for a 3-day 2-night getaway. We are always completely satisfied with our stay. The Inn has a European feel to it. Comfortable and cozy. They have a wonderful FREE breakfast -- the usual continental stuff plus hard boiled eggs. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We always look forward to our monthly getaway. The Inn at the Opera makes it all the more enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Had a wonderful stay at the Inn at the Opera! Located across from City Hall and a nice walk to Union Square. The decor was charming and quaint, yet updated and classy. Service was excellent.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

A charming and lovely hotel, with a few minor glitches. First, my room proved to be rather noisy: I was awakened nearly every morning as my neighbors showered! I couldn't believe how loud the sound of water in the pipes was!!!!! The real problem, though was an inattentive concierge, who spent more time on what sounded like very personal calls before looking up to see people waiting for things she could have helped with.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We recently spent a few nights at the perfectly situated Inn At The Opera in San Francisco. It is a small hotel right across the street from the stage door at the gorgeous San Francisco Opera. Just a short walk from wonderful restaurants and shops, is is a great location to stay in San Francisco. We rented a car this time, determined to figure out the driving, and being right in the Civic Center made it so easy to get around. Tiny lobby, big hearted staff, we loved the guy who parked our car and took care of us, the delightful concierge who printed out a huge list of vintage shops for me and the woman who made up for the tiny rooms we too big people complained about... We are looking for our next trip there, to catch the music, the vitality and most of all, the joy of Inn At the Opera. It was fun...and we are two older, somewhat handicapped seasoned travelers.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at the Opera? Share your experiences!