“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at the Opera

Save Saved
You added Inn at the Opera to your Saves list
Inn at the Opera
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Fulton Street, San Francisco, CA 94102-4423 (Civic Center)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #30 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Perth Scotland
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Initially very disappointed after entering our room, Alley cats in the area would have no problems as there was no chance of any of them being swung in it.. It was described as a 'Studio with Queen bed' but really it is a room for one person.. there is literally no more than 2 feet between the bed and the walls..and the window looks right onto.. the parking alleyway.. after we lay on the bed for 5 minutes we realised how Monty Python everything was as he worked out how we could get past each other as we moved about.. I assigned my Wife 4 square feet on her side and same for my side.. then I said 'This is silly' so I went to reception and requested a move.. there was no problem at all with this the staff very polite they said they full at the time a room would become free later in the day- just told us to put everything back in our cases and they would take care of it..So we went off for the day to see the sights and when we got back, reported to reception who gave us the keys to room 27.. what a difference, plenty of room here and very comfortable. They had moved all our stuff there for us. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and we were impressed. This is an old Hotel, but the rooms have a nice retro look, apart from the modern electronics you could almost be in a hotel room out of a 1940's movie.. but we liked that..Facilities are excellent, the room has a Fridge, Microwave and coffee machine and even cutlery in the cabinet. Bathroom large enough, there is a hair dryer and they also provide an Iron and Ironing board. A continental breakfast was included and this gives you the option of Bagels, boiled eggs, cereal fresh fruit of all kinds, different breads and even cake and cookies (We do not tend to eat those at breakfast in the UK so interesting).. the lady on duty in the breakfast room very nice. They have a restaurant called 'Plaj' I believe this is a concession and not owned by the Hotel.. must say I found the menus a bit pretentious and expensive so did not bother . We had a couple of drinks in there and chatted to the nice Bar Tender but again felt the prices were high. The Hotel is in Fulton St just next to City Hall.. it is a short walk to Van Ness and to the Muni and other transport stops.. walk up Van Ness till you reach Sutter St walk to the left and you are in another very interesting part of Sna Francisco, Japan Town, with its pagoda and many Sushi bars and Japanese themed stores. Turn left out side the Hotel, down Fulton, to Gough, then right at Market St till you hit Dolores street and you will find a hidden Gem of San Francisco, the Mission Delores, the oldest building in the city (1775) five bucks to get in and a bargain..
All in all a lovely little hotel, with comfortable beds, friendly and welcoming staff, and I would highly recommend it.

Green Features: Towel option.. fold them away to use again.. or leave them on the floor for staff to collect and launder.. the former option we preferred
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

558 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

High points :
Terrific value for the price! Perfect location if going to opera, symphony or Asian art museum. Boutique hotel with lovely paintings and art throughout. Upkeep is excellent and condition is superb.
Great resturant on lower level with complimentary continental breakfast that is well prepared and nicely served.
Warm cookies for guests in late afternoon.
Friendly staff through out.
Nice area with small sink, coffee maker. refrigerator hidden within wooden Cabernets. Lovely furniture, lamps, etc.
Bed and pillows good.

Low points;
Check in was after 4pm before rooms were ready. Second day room was not cleaned until after 3 when we returned from sightseeing and wanted to be in room. We requested fresh to wells so we would not be bothered.
Staff is attentive but valet parking is slow. Apparently the location. Is more than three blocks away so make sure to request car in plenty of time to avoid waiting.

Very small armoire for closet is not tall enough for dresses to hang without having to be folded up. Hangers are not removable to hang somewhere else in the room.

No air conditioner but hotel provides fan if requested.

Highly recommend. We plan to come back next trip.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
torrance
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Close to opera, symphonies near Van Ness and Market Streets with access to all SF by bus, street car or cable car and train. First stop is Walgreens to buy a $27 one week pass of SF Muni. Cost of parking a car is $210 for the week.

We took advantage of all the forms of public transportation in a city were that is best and easy to use. Using a phone Google map program push on the Bus app or Walking. It will give you all the bus, street car routes to were you tell it you want to go. We walked a block or two depending on where we wanted to go. Getting to Cal Trans Trains, #47 bus, with a stop at Trader Joes. Going to an AMC movie or the California Cable (Starbucks is right there) use the number 5 bus. Headed to Powel Street for Cable Car, Ferry Terminal or Fisherman's Warf try the Street Cars from all collected from all the cities which got rid of them.

Close by is a great coffee at Blue Bottle in the ally off Linden about 2 blocks away from the Inn, and Smitten ice cream (see review) made by using fresh ingredients and nitrogen.

The Inn has smaller rooms reminiscent of a former era, tastefully appointed. They serve a nice complimentary breakfast of cereals, yogurt, bagels, hard boiled eggs, cream cheese and tomatoes with a nice selection of muffins and coffee cake.

Room Tip: Try for a room at the front facing Fulton Street.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

OLDER hotel in the SF Theater District. Stayed 7 Nights.
The Good - Friendly staff, Complimentary Contenental Breakfast, newspaper, Small Fridge and MicroWave and nice location.
The Bad - Small Room, Small Bed, Small elevator, Construction across the street, street noise, $25/night to valet your car OR park on the street and try to avoid ticketing / tow.
We chose to Rent a Dollar Car and used street parking. $1-$2/hr on Fulton and McAllister. $2-$3/hr on Gough and Franklin. BEWARE of Restrictions, Street Cleaning varies (M,W,F on one side then Tu, Th on the other from 2am to 6am). Street parking meters are generally FREE from 6pm - 9am. Most meters take credit cards now. We tipped the Valet Guy(s) for extra information / help and saved ourselves about $150.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Placentia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We just spent Memorial Day weekend here. We had a 1-bedroom deluxe and loved it. Three rooms and 2 baths! European style hotel. Satisfactory breakfast. Excellent service. We walked 1 1/2 blocks to the symphony.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We picked this hotel based on the average rating on Trip Advisor and the like, I think we pretty much got it right. Firstly it's reasonably well located, you might prefer to be further down Market St or nearer Fisherman's Wharf, in which case you should book elsewhere, but as keen walkers we were happy to walk everywhere. It's about a 10 minute walk from the main shopping area on Market St, about 45 minutes to the wharf, 45 minutes to AT&T Park and the same to Golden Gate Park in the other direction.

The rooms are comfortable, clean, a little small but that's what we expected for the price and given that space is at a premium in San Fran. Handy to have the kitchenette with a microwave and fridge (turn it up to 6 as soon as you arrive). Wi-Fi is a bit hit and miss, works well on a laptop with a stronger connection than on a smartphone, but my iPhone picked it up in the lobby and restaurant much better that in my room.

Breakfast is very nice, plenty on offer, tea, coffee, juice etc to drink, porridge, bagels, toast, cakes, muffins etc to eat. No cold meats or cheeses, be aware of the varying definitions of a continental breakfast, very different to what German guests would be accustomed to for example. I'd say it's probably a $10 value per head, so if you take that off the cost of the hotel room it will give you a better cost for comparison.

Having read some other reviews here I guess we got lucky with our experiences of the staff, they were pleasant, efficient, we didn't ask a lot of them though to be honest. The chap on the desk at 5am when we checked out was perfectly nice too! Plus they offer you free cookies in the afternoon.

Tip: I wouldn't bother with the restaurant of an evening, San Fran is home to some very fine restaurants and some great cheap eats too, if you're going to spend $60 a head you might as well find a Michelin starred restaurant serving the kind of food you like.

Room Tip: If you get the ballet studio you'll be on the inside of the building with no view to speak of, b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bedfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

To be fair to The Inn at The Opera, I had just come from the best hotel I'd ever stayed in immediately prior to arriving in SF from Sydney, Australia, but first impressions of the area and the hotel itself were a massive let down. Especially as there was little disparity in price.

The walk along Grove from the BART station on the Sunday morning that I arrived was an eye-opener to say the least! Down-and-outs everywhere, several appearing very disturbed, some with Tourettes... Anyway, let's say I didn't feel safe.

I got to the hotel to be told that check-in is 3pm and could I come back later. This is fair enough, but after a 14hr flight over the international date-line without sleep, it wasn't the best thing. I left my bag and went for food at The Grove on Hayes (recommended) and then walked up to Alamo Square, where I sat for a bit. On returning at 3, I was given a keycard to my room. Thankfully, my bags had been put in my room ready for me.

When I got to my room, I was immediately disappointed but incredibly tired. The "compact" size of the room - it was just big enough for the bed and my suitcase, the tiredness of the decor and the lack of a view through the small window were only really apparent once I'd woken up. It was at this point I wasn't sure whether to stay the full 4 nights or to check out there-and-then and go for one of my second choice hotels. As I'd already paid up-front via an online travel company, I decided it would be more trouble to leave and decided to make the most of it.

I suspect, reading other reviews and looking at pictures on here, that some rooms are better than others, and I was unlucky to be given a particularly small room and one that hadn't been updated in some time.

The complimentary breakfast (with gratuity slip and pen provided - Welcome to America) wasn't up to much if you don't like having massive amounts of sugar and weak coffee in the morning. I only bothered the once, given that there are several cafés and coffee shops nearby.

To give them their due, the staff were friendly, but seemed a little disinterested in guests.

The area felt less intimidating with people going about their daily business on weekdays, although as a solo traveller, I would have felt much safer in the Fisherman's Wharf area. It was well situated for bus and tram routes to nicer places, though. The 3 day visitor MUNI pass was my saviour!

It ended up that I spent most of my time out of the room sightseeing, only using it as somewhere to crash. It didn't put a massive dampener on my first visit to SF but I will stay elsewhere as and when I return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Inn at the Opera? Share your experiences!