“Comfortable and competitively priced.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at the Opera

Save Saved
You added Inn at the Opera to your Saves list
Inn at the Opera
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Fulton Street, San Francisco, CA 94102-4423 (Civic Center)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #30 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chester
“Comfortable and competitively priced.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We picked this hotel based on the average rating on Trip Advisor and the like, I think we pretty much got it right. Firstly it's reasonably well located, you might prefer to be further down Market St or nearer Fisherman's Wharf, in which case you should book elsewhere, but as keen walkers we were happy to walk everywhere. It's about a 10 minute walk from the main shopping area on Market St, about 45 minutes to the wharf, 45 minutes to AT&T Park and the same to Golden Gate Park in the other direction.

The rooms are comfortable, clean, a little small but that's what we expected for the price and given that space is at a premium in San Fran. Handy to have the kitchenette with a microwave and fridge (turn it up to 6 as soon as you arrive). Wi-Fi is a bit hit and miss, works well on a laptop with a stronger connection than on a smartphone, but my iPhone picked it up in the lobby and restaurant much better that in my room.

Breakfast is very nice, plenty on offer, tea, coffee, juice etc to drink, porridge, bagels, toast, cakes, muffins etc to eat. No cold meats or cheeses, be aware of the varying definitions of a continental breakfast, very different to what German guests would be accustomed to for example. I'd say it's probably a $10 value per head, so if you take that off the cost of the hotel room it will give you a better cost for comparison.

Having read some other reviews here I guess we got lucky with our experiences of the staff, they were pleasant, efficient, we didn't ask a lot of them though to be honest. The chap on the desk at 5am when we checked out was perfectly nice too! Plus they offer you free cookies in the afternoon.

Tip: I wouldn't bother with the restaurant of an evening, San Fran is home to some very fine restaurants and some great cheap eats too, if you're going to spend $60 a head you might as well find a Michelin starred restaurant serving the kind of food you like.

Room Tip: If you get the ballet studio you'll be on the inside of the building with no view to speak of, b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

558 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Bedfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

To be fair to The Inn at The Opera, I had just come from the best hotel I'd ever stayed in immediately prior to arriving in SF from Sydney, Australia, but first impressions of the area and the hotel itself were a massive let down. Especially as there was little disparity in price.

The walk along Grove from the BART station on the Sunday morning that I arrived was an eye-opener to say the least! Down-and-outs everywhere, several appearing very disturbed, some with Tourettes... Anyway, let's say I didn't feel safe.

I got to the hotel to be told that check-in is 3pm and could I come back later. This is fair enough, but after a 14hr flight over the international date-line without sleep, it wasn't the best thing. I left my bag and went for food at The Grove on Hayes (recommended) and then walked up to Alamo Square, where I sat for a bit. On returning at 3, I was given a keycard to my room. Thankfully, my bags had been put in my room ready for me.

When I got to my room, I was immediately disappointed but incredibly tired. The "compact" size of the room - it was just big enough for the bed and my suitcase, the tiredness of the decor and the lack of a view through the small window were only really apparent once I'd woken up. It was at this point I wasn't sure whether to stay the full 4 nights or to check out there-and-then and go for one of my second choice hotels. As I'd already paid up-front via an online travel company, I decided it would be more trouble to leave and decided to make the most of it.

I suspect, reading other reviews and looking at pictures on here, that some rooms are better than others, and I was unlucky to be given a particularly small room and one that hadn't been updated in some time.

The complimentary breakfast (with gratuity slip and pen provided - Welcome to America) wasn't up to much if you don't like having massive amounts of sugar and weak coffee in the morning. I only bothered the once, given that there are several cafés and coffee shops nearby.

To give them their due, the staff were friendly, but seemed a little disinterested in guests.

The area felt less intimidating with people going about their daily business on weekdays, although as a solo traveller, I would have felt much safer in the Fisherman's Wharf area. It was well situated for bus and tram routes to nicer places, though. The 3 day visitor MUNI pass was my saviour!

It ended up that I spent most of my time out of the room sightseeing, only using it as somewhere to crash. It didn't put a massive dampener on my first visit to SF but I will stay elsewhere as and when I return.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I haven't even made it past sitting in the lobby trying to check in, and I am ready to give my review. I arrived early and was told my room would be ready either right then or three hours from then. Since then I have waited 30 minutes to get an answer as to which of those choices it would be because the maid was 'busy in other rooms' and couldn't check. Talking to the manager has been about as effective as talking to a pug dog- she just has a pained and irritated look on her face no matter what you say (sorry pug lovers). It's obvious she feels she is doing me a HUGE favor by thinking about getting my room ready early...but seriously? Most hotels I stay at can get me an answer as to whether a room will be ready in under 5 minutes and it is NOT considered a huge favor. The hotel itself is a hike from the BART- not easy with luggage. I hope to God the room is decent- if it is not, this will be dropping to a one star review. Otherwise, it is unlikely it will climb past this two star review. Unless there are complimentary diamond earrings sitting in the room for me. That might make up for the poor customer service.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

This amazing Hayes Valley area of SF is a super place to be. Can not wait to return to this area. My stay at the Inn of The Opera was less than stellar. The front desk service remained consistently aloof. The staff came across as people who did not exactly "love their job". The room I stayed in was in need of a good make over and super cleaning, although surfaces were ok, it was certainly not immaculate. Bed was comfy, but other furnishings were old ish and barely making it. Request for a fan on a very hot day was granted, but the fan was full of dust :(
Will probably try another Hotel in this area next time.

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The hotel was very conveniently located for my needs. Service was friendly and mostly efficient. Facilities were comprehensive and room size was adequate for my sole use. Overall I enjoyed full value for the price I paid. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

My wife and I wanted to stay in a unique hotel that met our expectations, but also didn't break the bank. We were incredibly happy with our stay at the Inn a the Opera. I know the hotel offeres different types of rooms. We stayed in one of the Studio rooms on the 5th floor. We walked into a beautiful room! Robes were waiting for us on a hanger. There was a small fridge in the corner with a tiny kitchen counter. In the kitchen drawer there were eating utensils and a wine opener. We also had a coffee pot in our room. The room was clean every day when we got back and it satisfied my wife (who has very high cleanliness expectations). The staff at the front desk always greeted us when we got back and that was nice. They also offered a great continental breakfast each morning! If we ever visit San Francisco again we will only stay here.

Room Tip: We loved our Studio room on the 5th floor. We attached a photo.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

If you like bland tower hotels with standard rooms, this might not be the place for you. If you are charmed by a tiny, old-fashioned elevator and rooms that remind you of staying in a friend's guest room, then you will love the character of this nice hotel, conveniently located right by city hall and within walking distance of a bunch of great restaurants and cool shops.

When I return to San Francisco with my wife, I look forward to bringing her to this excellent value!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Inn at the Opera? Share your experiences!