“Absolutely wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at the Opera

Save Saved
You added Inn at the Opera to your Saves list
Inn at the Opera
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Fulton Street, San Francisco, CA 94102-4423 (Civic Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% Off Discount
Ranked #42 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Princeton, New Jersey
“Absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed in the "opera" room which had ample space and was equipped with two large baths. Bedding was comfortable as well. Location is convenient with city bus tours starting right from the entrance of the hotel. Entire property is clean, well maintained and well managed. Front desk staff was helpful. They provide valet parking and the valet who was on duty was a nice very person and very courteous. Free continental breakfast included different types of muffins, cakes, bread, bagel, egg, fruits etc. Quality of all items was superb, best I have seen so far. I travel frequently and this was simply the best free continental breakfast ever. Along with other employee, a lot of credit goes to the manager of the hotel for running this place so well. I would strongly recommend this place to anyone visiting san francisco.

Room Tip: Stay at the opera, that's the largest suite in this hotel. I have heard that other rooms may be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Vacaville, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our family of four including 2 teenagers found this to be a hidden gem. We stayed in an Opera suite, which had 2 spacious bathrooms, 2 sleeping rooms (one with a double sleeper sofa) separated by a kitchenette that had everything we needed and more! We felt like we had our own apartment. Our suite was located at the end of a hallway and was very quiet (the quality of windows helped). We ate our complimentary continental breakfast by the fireplace in the hotel's restaurant, Plaj. All of the staff were very attentive and helpful and the person at the front desk, Dan made sure all of our needs were met. The atmosphere reminded us of Europe; comfortable elegance.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the Opera suites
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Glen Dale, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed in a very small room which was fine because we were only there to sleep. That's where the problem comes in: there was no air conditioning, and while San Fran. is not overwhelming hot, AC is still important to me. I could not sleep with the window open due to the city noise. It seems it would not be a major investment for them to install a small room air conditioner.
The staff was friendly, the location was good, but I would only stay here again if I were guaranteed AC and new carpet.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an air conditioned room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SeanPierson, Manager at Inn at the Opera, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Vuvu14,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for your feedback concerning your stay. I do apologize for the issues you had with us during your stay and wanted to respond to some of your comments if I may. Yes, we do not have any air conditioning and have never advertised as such. I understand that on days that the city gets warm (above 70 degrees) it can make it uncomfortable, but, these types of days happen rarely in the city, and most of the hotels, as well as houses, do not have any AC. Opening windows does help relieve the heat, but of course this does come with the price of having to deal with the general city noises such as sirens, garbage trucks, etc. We do offer fans upon request, and I do apologize that this was not offered as a solution to you.

As to the carpet, we just replaced all the carpet throughout the Inn in January. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I welcome the feedback, and can hopefully welcome you back personally in the future.

Sean Pierson
Assistant Resort Manager
Inn at the Opera
Indialantic, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in May. After reading reviews on how small the rooms were, I was pleasantly surprised on our accommodations. The room was nicely decorated and very comfortable and clean. The front desk staff were very welcoming and friendly. Breakfast buffet was very nice... oatmeal, cereal, boiled eggs, yogurt, bagels, breads, fruit, cottage cheese, coffee, juice and milk.
Probably the best part for us was the great location, as our daughter was graduating from a nearby conservatory. We have been to San Francisco many times in the past 2 1/2 yrs and had been staying outside of the city, due to noise,etc. With the windows closed we really did not have much noise during the night and so we rested very well.
I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel was a great find.good location,handy to public transport.and in a nice area.The breakfast was delicious.Thanks to all the the staff for a most enjoyable stay

Noel &Tracy Maxwell

Northern Ireland

Tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We booked this hotel through a timeshare trade, and were so disappointed. The room was tiny, there is no AC, and the carpets are disgusting. We kept the windows open just to be able to breath, but the noise from the streets made it impossible to sleep. Between ambulance sirens and honking cars we were lucky to sleep 2 hours at a time. To top off this terrible vacation we were unable to take a shower for the 5 days we stayed here!!!! They claimed to be replacing the hot water heaters and shut the water off from 11am to 5pm three days in a row, but even when the water was on the shower was either so hot you couldn't stand it or so cold you would freeze. They only have queen size beds so my husbands feet hung off the bed a foot and when we tried to move the bed felt like it was going to fall apart. After 5 days of no showers, no sleep and daily complaints which were brushed off by the front desk we were not even given a break on the parking fee of $28 a day.This is by far the worst place we have ever stayed and I would pay double the price just to avoid this place.

Annabell,

Thank you very much for your feedback concerning your recent stay with us. I do apologize for not getting back to you sooner and for the issues you experienced during your stay. I would like to follow up on a couple of your comments and try to explain what happened.

First, yes our rooms are small as the building was built in 1927, and we do advertise the Inn in this way. We have replaced the carpet throughout the Inn in January, and I am concerned about the comments you made about it being disgusting. We, as most hotels and residences in San Francisco, do not have AC, as we rarely see temperature above 65-70 degrees, except for a handful of days throughout the year. And yes, when the windows are open, you do get regular city noises such as garbage trucks and sirens.

I sincerely apologize about the water situation you, and every other guest, experienced during your stay. Our domestic hot water boiler was having issues, and we decide to replace it rather that waiting until next year, when it was scheduled to be replaced. After much discussion, we decided to do this during late May, instead of possibly having it fail, and not being able to get a replacement that could have taken up to three or four weeks to get delivered. Did it cause some issues? Absolutely. We did notify our guest/owners as soon as possible of the downtime during two days between 10am and 5pm that we would have no hot water. Did this miss some of our guests/owners? Unfortunately it did. Were we expecting this new boiler to fail on Saturday morning? No we were not, and I understand that this caused some major inconveniences to you and others. Finally, I just wish that you would have asked to speak to myself or my assistant, Javier, P\personally, as we were there on property during the time that this was happening. I strongly believe that our staff handled this situation in a professional manner, and I apologize again, if you felt that we brushed this under the rug.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to reach out to me via email at spierson@shellvacations.com, or via phone at 415-294-8920, as I would like to assure you that we take our guests/owners concerns very seriously.

Sean Pierson
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for four days and were wowed by the friendliness of the staff. The entire hotel was exceptionally clean and well kept. The complimentary breakfast was good as well. I strongly recommend. We saw a lot of reviews that said the rooms were small - you should disregard these. The rooms were much bigger than I would expect for the price, especially considering the hotel is in a major city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at the Opera? Share your experiences!