“Superb deal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Vernon, Connecticut
“Superb deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed five nights for a conference in town. Very well done renovated building. Refrigerator, coffee maker, flat screen TV, huge bath tub that you can soak in, wonderful rain shower shower head, plenty of clean fluffy towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer, free coffee/tea in the mornings and free wine tastings each evening. I never saw any of the street people talking to or bothering anyone from the hotel. All you do is cross Market Street and you see Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom's. The staff went out of their way to help me at every turn. And by the way, the homeless are all over the city. As my grandfather used to say "never let a prejudice keep you from a bargain." The room rates were one half to one third those of the other conference hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Shawn C,

I shared your comments with our entire staff and it makes me happy that they went out of their way to help you at every turn. Thank you so much for your 5-star review as it validates the pride we take in creating a memorable experience at the Hotel Metropolis for every guest. I am glad to hear that you were not bothered by the crown in our area and you were also happy with our location.
Looking forward to welcoming back when you return to this beautiful city.

Best regards,

511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit to San Francisco and it was only for one night, so the price of the hotel was great. The hotel inside was clean and comfortable, the staff i dealt with were brilliant and gave great advice on places to visit and how to get there. But sadly all this was tarnished by the vast amounts of homeless people and drug dealers right outside the front entrance of the hotel.
I'm not easily intimidated be I really didn't feel safe,that said its like 5mins walk from the fancy shopping area at Union square. So you decide!

Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear doobman79,

Thank you very much for your review and contribution to the Trip Advisor community. I'm delighted that you found our hotel to be clean, comfortable and that our front desk staff provided brilliant service. We look forward to having you again in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful stay. We were in town for a conference and this was one of the more affordable options in the area. Previous reviews were spot on. The area can be a little sketch at times but honestly we were never bothered by anyone. If you use the entrance through the lot you avoid the corner where there can be groups gathered. The front desk staff were fantastic and the rooms were a good size. Happy hour was a great addition and the coffee and tea in the morning were great to have. Thanks to the staff for making my first trip to San Francisco amazing, I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear YEG_2011,

I agree with you 100% that the Hotel Metropolis is a gem along with your 5 star review! I'm delighted that you had a wonderful stay and found our staff to be fantastic along with our spacious rooms. More importantly is that you gave us the opportunity to make your first trip to San Francisco Amazing and we thank you for that. I have passed your compliments to our staff and we look forward to having you back with us soon!

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had our wedding guests stay here and we did as well for a night. The hotel is updated and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. They went and beyond in helping us with parking needs and even ensuring that the necessary rooms were ready before check-in. The area is sketchy on one side but fine on the other. The elevator was a tad slow because there's only one for all 9 floors, so be patient...there's also a staircase. Staff was great and everyone says hello every single time they see you. Location was great and we were able to walk to the Giants game (less than 2 miles) and a very short walk to Union Square.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Michelle L,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review and on behalf of our entire staff and myself we wanted to congratulate you again. We highly appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to provide outstanding to your guests and yourself on such a monumental occasion. We hope your travels lead you back to San Francisco soon and whenever you need to make a reservation feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best Wishes,

(415) 775-4600
jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel gets a bad rap in some reviews because of the nasty corner location right on the edge of the Tenderloin, a truly depressing section of SF that is right next to the main tourist center of Union Square. But for me, it's a perfect location because it's only 1 block from BART (which means no taxis necessary from the airport, a HUGE plus), and virtually everything is easily accessible by foot or public transport. I have found the staff to be super nice, the rooms totally cute (small, yes, but it's an old building and SF is a big city, so most hotel rooms are going to be small, unless you want to pay $300/night and up!) and the little extras like morning coffee/afternoon wine are a nice touch. The only reason I didn't give "comfort" 4 stars is that it's true that the walls are thin and so you hear every noise as if it's right there with you (earplugs save the day). For the price, this place is a great value in my book, but you do have to be able to handle seeing very down-and-out people when you enter & exit the hotel. That's Big City life, people!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Dina E,

I'm delighted that we were able to exceed your expectation and that you found the Hotel Metropolis to be great! I have passed on your compliments to our Super nice staff and want to thank you for your contribution to Trip Advisor. In addition, I completely agree with you that our location is perfect making it accessible to downtown, BART and public transportation. We look forward to having you back so you may continue to enjoy our beautiful city San Francisco!

San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great hotel, great service, very clean and friendly. Location was not ideal and you could not get any sleep due to the noise outside. It was constantly very very loud and you could not walk I the hotel without 10 crackheads bums bothering you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Jaime G, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Chelsea A

Thank you for taking the time to offer your comprehensive review and we do look forward to your return. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay especially that you found our staff to be friendly, that our hotel is clean.
I am sorry your stay was not perfect due to the homeless issue in downtown San Francisco.

I'm glad that you decided to share your experience with the Trip advisor community

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here before joining a tour as it departed from this hotel early. I read the reviews on tripadvisor before staying here so I was prepared for the area.

The information provided on here was so helpful. I ended up in a room where the dead bolt on the door will open if the fire alarm rings. Being a solo female traveller I was not keen on this. Spoke to the staff at reception and they changed my room straight away.

Rooms were basic. Not sure if cleaned well before me as I found long dark hair on one bed and in the bathroom.

Staff were great. They helped me organise a few last minute things to do as I did not plan very well.

There location is very convenient but the area is intimidating for a single female traveller. I came home by taxi at night and stayed in. I would have not been concerned going out longer if I was not by myself.

Overall basic hotel with great staff in an convenient area which is overrun by the homeless and addicts. If returning to San Fran I would definitely find a hotel in a safer area.

• Stayed April 2013
Jaime G, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear SherryKisses,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I’m glad you enjoyed parts of your stay, but I apologize it wasn't 100% perfect due to the homeless people downtown. We are currently working with local authorities to keep the homeless traffic in our block to a minimum.

I'm pleased to hear that your request of changing rooms was immediately taking care, and also our staff was able to help you in organizing your last minute plans.

eve though you mentioned that you will look for safer area in the future, but we will like for you to know that we take pride in our service and it will be a great pleasure if you choose our hotel again.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Metropolis? Share your experiences!