“Great hotel, horrible location” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Metropolis to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Mason St, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Ranked #153 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
San Francisco
“Great hotel, horrible location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great hotel, great service, very clean and friendly. Location was not ideal and you could not get any sleep due to the noise outside. It was constantly very very loud and you could not walk I the hotel without 10 crackheads bums bothering you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Jaime G, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Chelsea A

Thank you for taking the time to offer your comprehensive review and we do look forward to your return. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay especially that you found our staff to be friendly, that our hotel is clean.
I am sorry your stay was not perfect due to the homeless issue in downtown San Francisco.

I'm glad that you decided to share your experience with the Trip advisor community

Warm Regards,

Luis Morales
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here before joining a tour as it departed from this hotel early. I read the reviews on tripadvisor before staying here so I was prepared for the area.

The information provided on here was so helpful. I ended up in a room where the dead bolt on the door will open if the fire alarm rings. Being a solo female traveller I was not keen on this. Spoke to the staff at reception and they changed my room straight away.

Rooms were basic. Not sure if cleaned well before me as I found long dark hair on one bed and in the bathroom.

Staff were great. They helped me organise a few last minute things to do as I did not plan very well.

There location is very convenient but the area is intimidating for a single female traveller. I came home by taxi at night and stayed in. I would have not been concerned going out longer if I was not by myself.

Overall basic hotel with great staff in an convenient area which is overrun by the homeless and addicts. If returning to San Fran I would definitely find a hotel in a safer area.

• Stayed April 2013
Jaime G, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear SherryKisses,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I’m glad you enjoyed parts of your stay, but I apologize it wasn't 100% perfect due to the homeless people downtown. We are currently working with local authorities to keep the homeless traffic in our block to a minimum.

I'm pleased to hear that your request of changing rooms was immediately taking care, and also our staff was able to help you in organizing your last minute plans.

eve though you mentioned that you will look for safer area in the future, but we will like for you to know that we take pride in our service and it will be a great pleasure if you choose our hotel again.

Luis Morales
Hotel Manager
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

It's not fair to give this hotel a bad review because the hotel itself and the staff were very good. The woman at the front desk was especially helpful with check in, to restaurant suggestions, and giving us a guide to how to get around. The room was decent, clean, warm enough, felt safe. The outside of the hotel was not so nice. Lots of homeless people all around, sometimes people would be yelling for no reason, lots of people on drugs, and some prostitutes too. The area wasn't so bad because there was a really nice mall less than five minutes walking distance away. There were restaurants all around too. Transportation was also a short walk away. There are 20+ hotels in a mile radius of the hotel so it's a problem they all share in the area. If you can tolerate loud noise at night and homeless people all around then the hotel won't be a problem. The hotel has key locks for the elevators and stairways so you don't need to worry about people sneaking around the hotel who don't belong there.
You can easily get a taxi to get around if need be.
We got this hotel with our flight so the price was right.
I know it's not a hotel for everyone but we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: You might hear less street noise higher up.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Johnny D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer this review. Also, we appreciate your recognition of the great service you received from Jennifer upon checking in at the front desk. We look forward to your return to San Francisco.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The metropolis is clean, chic and has incredibly friendly staff that go above and beyond. We checked in to our room which was slightly small but unique - this hotel has personality! Bathroom had a pedestal sink and vintage style. The lobby is warm and the library provides a welcoming area to relax. We had a family emergency and had to depart quickly, the front desk staff had a taxi for us within minutes and were extremely sensitive during a difficult time. We will be back - caring staff that treat you like a valued guest and not just a number are not often found, especially in a city this size.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear 2CAW2,

Thank you for your 5 star review and contribution to the Trip advisor community. I definitely agree with you 100% that the Hotel Metropolis is clean, chic, with an incredibly friendly staff with tons of personality.

More importantly, I hope that your family emergency turned out for the better and that we were able to assist your family during a difficult time. We hope your travels lead you back to San Francisco and feel free to contact me directly when you make future reservations.

jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The room was as pictured in the hotel's photos. I was on the 8th floor and even though I could hear the street noise and the people next door, it was never loud enough to keep me (nor my boyfriend) awake for the three nights we were there.

Yes, if you haven't been to a large city in the U.S. where there are homeless (many have some type of mental illness)and drug addicts then you may be fearful. On the other hand I never felt threatened. I am in my mid 50's and my boyfried who weights about 150 lbs is in his 70's. I would go out early (7am) and walk around until my boyfriend awoke. We went to the Mission area (the Golden Cuckoo has a great blues pianist) via bus and got back around midnight and walked around the area for awhile (we temporarily were displaced)and no one bothered us.

Nearby is the Bart and Metro and Union Square and in easy walking distance to Chinatown. We are hikers and walked to the Wharf and North Beach. We rented bikes from Alcatraz rentals at 482 Geary St. ($19.00ea/24 hrs), rode to Sausilito and took the ferry back.

Overall I was very pleased with the Metropolis and plan to stay there again. The staff was friendly and the lobby was clean as was the room and well maintained. The beds were very comfortable. There is coffee and tea in the am along with a computer and printer free of charge. There is no AC but the window did open about 2 foot.

Room Tip: Stayed on 8th floor after requesting a quiet room.
Dear GirlonthegoUSA,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your comprehensive review and we do look forward to your return. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay especially that you found our staff to be friendly, that our hotel is clean and that the beds were comfortable. I'm glad that you decided to share your 3 day experience with the Trip advisor community especially since you did so much.

Warm Regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

It would be unfair for me to comment on the hotel in a bad way as I checked out within a few hours of checking in. The hotel seemed ok. The issue is the area, I was in a group of 6 lads, we felt uncomfortable and unsafe and had to leave. As soon as we went further up our mood and attitude lifted. I was only at the hotel for 30 minutes when i was approached by man asking for money. When i said no he didn't take to kindly to it, i have no doubt in my mind if i'd have taken my wallet out he'd have snatched it. I'm not the type of person to write any kind of review, good or bad but I felt people needed to know how bad the surrounding area is, genuinely filled with homeless and drug addicts. The hotel could be a lovely place to stay if they could lift it up and move it, unfortunately that can't happen. Just felt people should be aware of what they are agreeing to
If they wish to stay there.

Andy

• Stayed April 2013
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Parkerchops,

Thank you for your comprehensive review and contribution to the Trip advisor community. I'm happy that you found the hotel lovely but found the outside area to be your issue. We are constantly working with local authorities and being proactive to reduce the number of homeless people that are found downtown. It is unfortunate you were not able to experience the hotel by itself and as you can see by previous reviews our guests enjoy the Hotel Metropolis.

Rehovot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

For some USD 135-140/night the bare essentials room with toilet and bath comes at a price where it starts to be worth considering some of the standard brand name hotels, esp. if you can get convention/conference rates. To be fair, I got the smallest room on my floor, something I did not argue about after intercontinental travel and evening arrival (room had been reserved some moths in advance). The hotel is run by a Chinese chain/company and one can read, if one is so inclined, the China Daily, American edition. The morning coffee is significantly worse than what can be brewed in room with the coffee provided.Location is excellent, though, but the place seems over-priced, considering the option of hotels in nearby China town.

Room Tip: well, you do not want the cubicle close to the elevators and stairs
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear vughtenaar,

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as you would have liked. Thank you for taking the time to offer this very thorough review, and we hope that we can win your confidence in us in the future.

Hotel Metropolis

Been to Hotel Metropolis? Share your experiences!