“Shabby” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“Shabby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Rooms shabby.over priced. Run down basic room for the price. Service good. Nice concierge. Try and up sell you when you check in. Should upgrade you complimentary instead of trying to sell you. Not even a bottle of water in room despite high price. Stay in four seasons hotels frequently also a centurion amex reservation. Very tacky.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Christian K, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at check-in and with the rooms. I apologize that it was less than stellar and I've addressed your concerns with the team. I can be contacted directly at (415) 633-3000, if you'd like to discuss your stay further.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Indonesian first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We just spent another great and relaxing time at our favorite place in San Francisco, The Four Seasons. The staff is exceptionally attentive. Our children had personalized cupcakes and drinks waiting for them in their room. We enjoyed our breakfasts at MKT, and while we had a slight complaint for the long waiting time on our order, the staff made sure we left happy while preparing a bag of treats for our drive back home. The level of attention to the guests is impeccable. A very sincere thank you to the management and staff at MKT.
A special thank you to Alex at the reception. We had an issue with our room which he took care of and changed our room immediately, while checking in again to make sure we were pleased. Thank you.
The concierge was most helpful with our dinner reservations at Kokkari and Amber, and any other assistance we needed. Perfection.
We left, a very happy family again. We look forward to seeing you again in September.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for coming back to San Francisco and staying with us! I was so glad to hear that the team was attentive and that the entire family enjoyed. I will share your thoughts with Alex and the concierge. We look forward to having you return in the fall, and if we can help set up anything in advance please let me know.

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We chose the Four Seasons once again for the third year in a row for so many reasons. This hotel is always an amazing experience for us. The location is perfect! So close to Union Square, Chinatown, North Beach & unlimited shopping. The views are awesome! What's great about this hotel is the main lobby is located on the 5th floor. So you never experience any chaos off the street that you would normally see at your typical hotel. I can't say enough good things about the staff. The one thing we noticed is that a lot of the same people are still working there from the first time we visited, which says a lot. Knowing our time there was part of an anniversary celebration, hotel management, David Schubert & Alex Warren went above & beyond to make it special for us. From roses on our bed to champagne & the most delicious, amazing, chocolate covered strawberries to a beautiful flower arrangement in our room, we couldn't have been treated any kinder. Thank you both for your personalized touch! Breakfast every morning with our wonderful waiter, Jesus, was another great experience for us. He was just the most sincere, upbeat, accommodating waiter we've ever had. Every morning, six in a row, he had the same smile, same great attitude. Made us feel so welcome! Paige and Joe at the Concierge desk were also amazing. They helped us so much with whatever we needed, whether it be scheduling a trip to Carmel or making dinner reservations every day. Doormen Chris & Joe, who worked downstairs, accommodated us whenever we needed a driver to get to a restaurant that was too far to walk. Quinton, our driver, who has been there since our first visit, was a class act, as always. Even the maids that comes in to tidy up the room are all so cheerful and sweet. There are so many people that work in this hotel that are just wonderful. Too many to name but all in all, this is a great place to stay. You will not be disappointed. I look forward to hopefully returning next year. Thank you to everyone who made it special for us...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow, thank you for taking the time to share your celebration with us, and for sharing the names of the folks that made it so special. It truly makes me happy to hear that we can continue to welcome you both to your home away from home!

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at the Four Seasons for just one night as a special treat while in town to go to a Sunday Giants game. We normally stay at hotels that top out at 300 to 350 a night (and always looking for a good deal) so staying in a $500+ a night room was definitely a splurge for us. And we were not disappointed. The room was not outrageously fancy in any way, just very lovely, spacious and comfortable with a fabulously comfy bed and a big marble bathroom with a great tub and shower.

What really set it apart, however, was the service. It was second to none... While my husband was playing golf, I checked us in by myself, and was impressed when I was personally escorted to the guest elevators. As I walked down the hall, I came upon a housekeeping employee, who stopped to acknowledge me and waited until I passed to go on their way. I am in no way the snobbish type, and would never expect a staffer to acknowledge me in that way, but it was so honorable! Room service set the table as if we were in the dining room, rather than just dropping off a tray on the desk, and even the valet offered us waters for our trip when we got into our car for the long drive home Sunday afternoon.

We were tired and looking for a pretty casual dinner expereience so we ate dinner at the bar in the Market restaurant, and really enjoyed it. My husband had a steak and I had the roast chicken with some phenomenal mashed potatoes mixed with parmesan. It was very, very good!

I want to comment about the other reviews complaining about the cost of valet parking. I completely understand that $60 a day seems very expensive, but EVERY decent hotel in San Francisco charges $55 to $60 a day for parking! It is just the way it is... parking is at a premium in this city for everyone... residents and guests. I don't flinch about it, it is expected, and the Four Seasons doesn't charge any more for parking than most other hotels, Hiltons, Marriotts, Hyatts, or Boutique hotels.

Now, having said that, I do have a pricing complaint. We ordered room service for breakfast, and it was $92! We had a pot of coffee (which was nice and hot, I might add, which is usually tepid with room service!) an egg white frittata, a Belgian waffle with a side of bacon and a side of berries to share (Blackberries, strawberries and blueberries). It included delivery charge and tip, but that was crazy expensive. Note to self: no more breakfast room service.

Regardless of the breakfast, we will happily stay at the Four Seasons again when we want to splurge a little. It was also a great location, so close to Union Square. We even walked to the Giants game on Sunday and kept our car in the lot. ( It would have cost us another $40 to drive 8 blocks to park at the game!)

Thank you, Four Seasons!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Four Seasons is always a great stay. We were here for a friend's wedding and the FS did not disappoint. The rooms are clean, love the L'occitane toiletries, prompt service whenever and easy access to where we needed to be. The price is VERY reasonable as well, especially for a Four Seasons.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I chose the Four Seasons San Francisco for a special 3 day trip with my daughter who had been at university in Europe, and splurged on an Executive suite. I wanted a typical over-the-top 4S special experience. The hotel was a disappointment.

Firstly, upon walking through the lobby, we were beset by high-decibel fun emanating from the Market bar. Presumably the Four Seasons SF is trying for an atmosphere of energy and enthusiasm. But the noise was disturbing, loud and boorish. The bar and restaurant certainly seemed popular, because most of the times we passed through the lobby we got bashed by the noise, except for early mornings. I found it unpleasant--call me fuddyduddy, but I prefer the old Four Seasons elegance.

The room decor was institutional and lacked both warmth and interest. The the huge, well furnished bathroom was fabulous.

To my shock there was no booklet of services placed in the room. The hotel believes that guests should call the concierge and be treated with great care in every matter--fine, but we had to call for every question. There was no list of spa services in the room, or information about the health club, for example. The hotel has partnered with an ENORMOUS urban gym located in the same complex. The gym is great for locals certainly, but it was huge and again--loud--although every conceivable machine was there. I enjoyed working out there. I did not try the spa, because the energetic vibe did not strike me as conducive to a spa experience.

The breakfasts were free because of our AmEx platinum reservation. The food portions were huge. But the complete menu was not shown on any of the THREE different menus: the piece of paper on the desk, the put-on-your-door card, and the menu given to me by Market. Each had different foods on the breakfast menu, and all of those foods were available. We enjoyed a number of items and the staff tried to meet our specifications, but each day the cappuccinos, teas and fruit plates were prepared differently. I expected to receive the same items because the lovely room service hostess told me they had our particulars from the first day, but the food arrived differently prepared each morning. They were very kind about replacing it, but still, it was disappointing. Room service lunch and snacks were great.

Finally, the technology needs looking at. I tried to use the fax machine in our room to print boarding passes, but no one--I, phone tech support, or in-person tech support, were able to get it to work. There was a cable in the drawer for direct internet, but after 10 minutes with phone tech support I was told that the hotel supports only wireless internet. So why is the cable still there?

On the positive side, the staff tried very hard. They were fantastic. The restaurant recommendations were great, and every whim was their delight to meet. I have only the highest recommendation for the hotel's staff.

Generally, despite how hard the staff tried, the hotel was not for me. I wish them well, but would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed at the Four Seasons recently on a romantic trip to SF and wine country. The hotel has a great location on Market St.--we happened to be there during the annual Pride Parade, which passed right by the hotel in all its wacky glory. (The hotel alerted guests to the parade and local street closings, noting that some of the attire would be "quite liberal".) As would be expected with a Four Seasons property, the rooms were well appointed and the staff attentive. The hotel also includes free access to a huge LA Fitness facility in the same building, a real treat for fitness fanatics.
There were a couple features that kept the hotel from being top of the top. First, they charge almost $15 a day for wifi access. That's ridiculous--you get free wifi at most hotels today, and it certainly should be included at a luxury property. They might as well charge for television. We were also surprised that the parking was $60 a night, which no one mentioned when we checked in. I figured it wouldn't be cheap, but really!
There was one other thing that struck me as odd when checking in. They have a separate "check-in" for kids, which is certainly a nice touch when things are quiet; but when we arrived there was a bit of a back-up, yet one staff member was fully occupied "checking in" two children under the age of five. I would rather have seen that resource devoted to getting the rest of us into our rooms!
All that said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Four Seasons to friends going to SF!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco? Share your experiences!