“A perfect choice in San Francisco” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Holiday Shoppers' Package
Ranked #11 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Atlanta
“A perfect choice in San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I sometimes find that employees at luxury hotels are on autopilot with their greetings and demeanor. Fortunately, after spending three nights at The Four Seasons, i can say that each employee I met seemed to be truly interested in making my stay perfect and really made me feel special.

The location is second to none. On Market Street and steps from everything, On days when I did not want to eat breakfast at the hotel, within a one minute walk were a bakery and three coffee stores. Of course, the hotel served complimentary coffee, lattes and espressos, so I'm not sure why anyone would want to go out for coffee.

The rooms are bright, spacious and modern, and most importantly, quiet! My first impression walking into my room was how calm and relaxing it looked. The colors are soft shades of blue with a wonderful pure white down comforter and duvet. The bed had just the right amount of firmness but super comfy and I really liked the down pillows as well. I suppose if you wan a faux antique look you can check into the Ritz but I appreciated the contemporary decor and relaxed elegance. The bathroom was huge with a separate room for the commode . The shower was amazing and the water stayed hot and consistent at all times.

My only minor issue was with the elevators. When arriving, you must take an elevator to the 5th floor lobby, then walk around the corner to another elevator that served the hotel floors. Sounds like no big deal but changing elevators gets tired after a while. I get that this design perhaps improves security, and that this was my only issue in four days is pretty amazing.

The rates at some of the nearby hotels wasn't much less, so I think the Four Seasons represented a good value as well. You can't go wrong. Overall, A++.

Room Tip: The Premiere rooms add an extra 30 sf to the Deluxe rooms and this makes a difference if your budget...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
FSSanFrancisco, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
-Doug Housley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is expensive, but I can't wait to come back. The location is fabulous, close to shops, great restaurants, and more.

I had a premium room and it was spacious and just wonderful. I had a lovely corner room on the 16th floor, #1609, which made for wonderful views of the bay, golden gate bridge and downtown.

The bathroom is large and has a separate shower and wonderful soaking tub..I took a bath each day and haven't taken an actual bath in years.

Bed was comfortable, large TV and work desk. My only complaints are that a coffee maker in the room would be much appreciated. Lesser hotels offer this and it would be a welcome convenience. They do offer coffee and tea and espresso/cappucino in the lobby each morning though.

The other complaint is the internet service. It was expensive, and unreliable. I had to call tech support to get the speed up to normal and that was after paying extra for fast speed. However the tech guy was great and got me fixed up. Next day though, it was a little slow again, so just be aware if you plan to work via internet.

My favorite extra....the slippers, so soft and comfy.

Room service was excellent too....fast and delicious and service everywhere was very friendly.

I ate several times at Seasons and had room service a few times, standout items were:

Breakfast.....the breakfast burrito...outstanding, with chicken sausage, caramelized onions, avocado, potatoes and scrambled eggs and pico de gallo on side. Still dreaming about this it was so good.

The tuna tartare appetizer is out of this world, one of the best if not the best I've had anywhere. The mix of flavors is so good, a salty soy dressing around fresh tuna, avocado and other seasonings that just worked so well. I had this and the tomato soup for lunch....I'd get the tuna again in a second. Tomato soup wasn't my favorite version.

Second lunch I had the crab louie which was just ok. Probably because I'd had an amazing one the day before at Swan Depot....which was recommended and I knew it was going to be good when I stood in line for 45 minutes and got there at a few minutes before noon. The difference, Swan Depot had huge chunks of fresh dungeness crab atop a bed of lettuce with dressing. At Seasons, they mix the crab with the lettuce, and it was a very different texture. I probably wouldn't get it there again. However, I did have dessert that day, and it was amazing, an almond cake with cherry filling and vanilla ice cream on top. Amazing.

Another room service meal was truffle french fries (which could serve several rooms, the size was so large!) and duck confit spring rolls. Loved the fries, will definitely get those again.

I do look forward to staying here again. It was a wonderful, quiet oasis!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, the views rock! See pics for views of room 1609
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
FSSanFrancisco, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
"Thank you for taking the time and writing about your recent experience with us here in San Francisco. We are excited to hear that you had a great time with us and hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future. "
Scarsdale, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The SF Four Seasons was a great experience in every way. The concierge, Joe, was outstanding. He suggested and secured reservations at some of the top restaurants in SF. He responded to email requests in a timely manner and really went out of his way to make sure we were happy with everything.
Also, the sports club associated with hotel was fantastic. It was the largest club I've ever seen, had wonderful equipment and great yoga and aerobics instructors. Great addition to the hotel amenities. Also, the location of the hotel on Market Street was quiet and accessible to Union Square and all modes of transportation. Great place!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your detailed comments about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback as this is the best gauge by which we can measure our success and make changes where necessary and appropriate. We will certainly share your insight's with the entire team and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. I will also be sure to share with Joe and the Sports Club your review and comments.
-Doug Housley
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

First of all, the location is fantastic for a shopping visit or for sightseeing as virtually everything is within walking distance and is very close to public transportation. There is an incredible sports facility included which offers a plethora of classes, all of which are complimentary. The rooms were immaculate and very quiet. Service was exemplary. Only one negative for me--no in-room coffee or tea service. Room service in the AM can take 30-45 minutes which was torture as I am used to quickly making that first coffee. If they add Keurigs, the place would be unbeatable in my book. Also, if you are there Sunday or Monday, the restaurant is closed for dinner. Try the lounge for an great deal--custom burgers, a side and a class of wine for $20. Very nice selection of wines by the glass and that price cannot be beaten in the city!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
FSSanFrancisco, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night while passing through San Francisco. The staff were thoroughly delightful, it was my birthday and the hotel sent a birthday cake portion to my room. The room was very comfortable with a great view. The dining room staff were excellent. The hotel is well positioned. Critcism, yes there should be free wifi and a coffee maker in every room: this is the 21st century. Would I stay there again? Absolutely.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your feedback as this is the best gauge by which we can measure our success and make changes where necessary and appropriate. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your birthday with us here in San Francisco. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband, son and I recently stayed 3 nights at the 4 Seasons hotel in San Francisco. We have stayed at 4 Seasons property before, so had a certain expectation of what we would find. I would have to say that this property does not live up to that expectation. On arrival, we entered the ground floor of the property and went to the desk to check in only to find that we had to take an elevator to the 5th floor to actually check in. Come to find out later, this is for security. Even though the hotel is very close to Union Square, it is still in a scary part of town after dark. When we did get to the check in desk, the clerk was very nice and we sincerely appreciated the early check in. However, we were escorted to the next set of elevators and that was it. When we got to the room, a king deluxe view, we found the room nice, but totally unremarkable. In all honesty, we have stayed in Holiday Inn Express rooms that were nicer (except for the bathroom). The room looked over Market Street and had a king size bed which was very comfortable. The room was tastefully done and was clean but there just wasn't anything about it that made you feel like you were staying at a 4 Seasons. There isn't even a coffee maker in the room. I realize most of the hotels in San Fracisco charge for internet, but $14.95/day at a hotel of this caliber seemed ridiculous. The bathroom was large and had L'Occtaine products which was really nice. We had drinks in the bar, which, again, was ok, but nothing special. The staff was friendly, but not overly so. Maybe my expectations were just too high. The location of the hotel is very user friendly to Union Square and Chinatown, but if you venture more than a block or two away from the hotel in any other direction, it gets really seedy very fast. Tons of homeless people and trash - not to mention the constant odor of urine around the grates in the street. I realize this is not the hotel's fault, but I think if I did this trip again, I would stay closer to the Wharf and take a cab to visit Union Square and Chinatown. We just weren't impressed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
FSSanFrancisco, Front Office Manager at Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. If you would like I am more than happy to discuss your stay in more detail. My direct extension at the hotel is 415 633 3495.
Imke Gahrmann
Asst. Director of Rooms Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Had a business trip to San Francisco.
The Hotel was great, as any four seasons.
Very business-like hotel. Rarely see any families.
Location was excellent, although not much time for anything.
Gym was good, although its better to have an "open to the public" gym, it has its disadvantages - too full.

Service great, cleanliness great, comfort in rooms great.

Room Tip: views arent that great but the walk in the city is worthwhile
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
FSSanFrancisco, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
General Manager Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco

Been to Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco? Share your experiences!