“Very nice city hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni San Francisco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Omni San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Omni San Francisco Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Parking or Rooms!
Ranked #2 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Derby, United Kingdom
“Very nice city hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a really nice welcoming feel to it which starts the minute you walk into the nice lobby. With it being a smaller brand than others I've stopped in all the staff seem to make it feel like a family run business which is very endearing. The check in was swift and informative with a help yourself table containing fresh fruit and drinks which was a nice touch. Lex the concierge was very helpful and highlighted a few things on a map for us. He also rang through to a ticketing office for us so that our Alcatraz tickets were confirmed.

Nice good sized room, very clean and a ample warm feeling bathroom. In fact my wife said its the best bath she's ever had! For me it wasn't very long so really tall people might not be able to stretch out like my wife did. Saying that the shower is quite nice although it is not seperate to the bath.

The best advice I can tell you about this hotel is to sign up to their select guest scheme via the website. It's free and takes 10mins of your time. The result, free wifi plus free drinks delivered to your room every morning. Well worth doing!

The downside to this hotel is the noise from the street. With it being a city hotel I expect this somewhat but other hotels I have stopped in have provided me with higher rooms. This time I was on the fith floor so was quite close to the action.

I found the location to have pros and cons. It's only a 15min walk to Union square for all your shopping but its more like 45mins to fishermans wharf which, lets face it, is the main area to visit. We bought a muni travel pass for the busses and trolleys but never actually seemed to be in the right place at the right time so never used them. If you don't actually scratch off the start date you can get your money back which is useful. You can buy them from the front desk and as far as I'm concerned might as well just in case you do ever need them on your travels. I think they were $22 for a 3day pass.

Hotel aside - if you want to visit Alcatraz prebook or else you will be disappointed! It's such a good experience and was easily my most fond memory. Bus tours - these are really worthwhile even if its to simply get from one place to another. You can hop on and off at any stop and they come regularly. One I used came with the Alcatraz tickets I'd already booked at home so i didn't have much of a choice with the selection. With hindsight I would have gone with a different company. It was called City Sightseeing San Francisco. They all have similar names which is confusing as we tried to get on another company's bus. Although there was nothing wrong with the tour guides it was the regularity of the busses that irritated me. We were once waiting at one of the stops and there were SIX busses from one competitor go by before ours turned up. I got the impression it was a smaller company with less busses as I got on one on different days and got the same guide. The competitor busses also looked a lot newer and nicer.

I hope my experiences in San Francisco help make your holiday as good as ours and I'm sure if you are stopping in the Omni you will be in safe hands.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

2,687 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Rooms are nice too. Bed a bit soft for me. Location is in the Financial District, 10 minutes by foot away from the Times Square area. Wifi is effective and free by signing up to their loyalty program (no cost, and it is shared across the different brands of the Global Hotel Alliance, including very nice properties in Asia under the Anantara name).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I love San Francisco but we love it even more since we started staying at the Omni San Francisco. Heading back up there for my third stay at the end of this month and we are already planning a fourth stay for May. The front desk staff, the doormen, the bellman, the concierges, the housekeeping staff, all charming, dedicated, extremely helpful and seem to also love the hotel. The location is fantastic, the bar, the restaurant, room service are all excellent. If I had one complaint it would be that we can't get there often enough!

Room Tip: We love room 1430 and you can bring your little doggie!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Everything was awesome at this hotel. Nothing I'd change! I'm hard to please and this sets a very high standard. Champagne at checkin and wonderful (free) Starbucks in the morning. Love this hotel and will stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
Calabasas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Hard to top this place. I travel regularly for business to SF and there is no hotel equal to this (this includes my stay at the much more upscale and expensive Mandarin Oriental).

For starters, the location is ideal for business travelers (it's in the financial district) and vacationers (stayed with the family here). It's just a few steps away from Chinatown and the cable car stops right outside the hotel.

The hotel is stately but warm. The rooms comfortable, well-appointed, reasonably spacious, updated and clean.

What makes this hotel is the service. I have double digit stays here and am still awaiting my first unsatisfactory service experience. To the contrary, I am consistently wowed by the excellent service. Everyone from the doormen to the front desk personnel to the concierge to the cleaning personnel are genuinely friendly. It renews my faith that good customer service and well-run businesses are not dead!

I even had one trip where the people in the room next to me clearly had too much to drink and were quite loud at midnight during the week. Noise levels are usually excellent here, so I had to call down and ask them to stop by the neighboring room and ask them to quiet down. That was done in minutes. To top it off, the hotel sent me a personal note the following week apologizing. Apologizing for events outside the hotel's control stands in contrast to many hotels that seem irritated to fix things within their control.

Stay here. You won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Lovely hotel, room was very nice, well-equipped and the staff most helpful. The location is fantastic too. Only down-side for us was that our request for an upper floor could not be met and we were 2 floors up from the trams running right outside. We are not overly sensitive but the noise level was incredible, waking up to the screech of the tramlines was not pleasant.

Room Tip: Higher floor is a must!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our first visit to the Omni and we were very happy with our choice to stay at this hotel. The location is excellent: walking distance to the Ferry Building, Chinatown and North Shore. The hotel is on the California cable car line, but do be aware that the cable cars are so full it is very, very difficult to get a ride. We saw many, many people being refused rides on several cars in a row - definitely frustrating. (But, of course, not the hotels fault. Just an observation for others visiting the city.) Our rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The hotel staff excellent, all very courteous and helpful. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Omni San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!