“comfortable stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni San Francisco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Omni San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Omni San Francisco Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Parking or Rooms!
Ranked #2 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“comfortable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Enjoyed our one night stay. The staff was super friendly, helpful and pleasant...all the time. The room was clean and very comfortable. The hotel is in a good location: walking distance to Union Square with public transportation nearby.

2,746 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our family just stayed at the Omni SF this last weekend for my birthday. We will never stay anywhere else again. We were treated like royalty from the amazing staff. At check in they asked if we were celebrating an occasion. By the time we arrived in our room there was cake wishing me a Happy Birthday and cookies and milk for our boys. What a great way to start a stay! Everyone in the hotel from the gal that checked us in to the valet was as nice as can be. The room was also cleaner than any room we had been in before and we travel often. I encourage everyone to stay in this gem.

Folsom, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The Omni hotel had the best customer service! We were there for a 35th birthday weekend and they had upgraded our room without asking. We were greeted in our room by a complimentary bottle of wine, chocolate cake and waters and cookies for the kids. Upon check-in they greeted our girls and the bell man was singing Christmas Carols as we walked in. The kids then got their Omni kids backpack and the bell man did an exceptional job making sure we all felt welcomed. We had gingerbread cookies and warm cider in the evenings. The 1st night of turn down service a rose welcomed me on our bed. The view from our room on the 17th floor was outstanding. We had joined the loyalty program and had fresh coffee and orange juice delivered each morning. You can choose 1 beverage each for up to 2 guests. The Nespresso coffee machine was delicious! The kids got cookies and milk each night (we were there 2 nights). The shampoo and conditioner was nice and a good size to use for all of us. I brought my own but found that I actually liked theirs too. Service overall was wonderful! The lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas. It's close to China Town and North Beach (Italian) and a short walk to Union Square. We were all able to walk without a problem and had a 4 and 7 year old with us. The streets were all pretty flat in the area and the area felt safe for San Francisco. Lots of great restaurants but the ones really close are closed on the weekends. We didn't eat at Bob's so I can't comment on that which was open. We would highly recommend the Omni and would definitely want to stay there again!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed 2 days at the Omni due to being caught in SF due to the impact of Sandy. I made the reservation online at the last minute, and was happy to find a direct online sale rate at a very reasonable $200+/night, which was a monumental bargain compared with other Financial District hotels nearby. I was even more pleasantly surprised at check-in to discover that I had been spontaneously upgraded to a suite. The suite itself was oddly laid out in that it is really two medium-sized rooms connected by a fairly long hallway with a smallish bathroom in the middle, but that is probably a function of the conversion of a historic building. As I had to work most of the day during my time there, the separated space was a wonderful amenity in any event, and as I was being upgraded to the prime accommodation at the property I have no complaints in that regard.

The lobby is quite beautiful and the location is truly a non-issue given the city's small size. You are in the heart of the Financial District, but a 10 minute walk to Union Square, the waterfront, Chinatown and SoMa - and even the heart of Nob Hill, if you have the thighs to walk up California Street. The Financial District lacks nearby dining options, but as I was visiting friends and heading out to dinner in other neighborhoods every night this was a non-issue; and it was a quick walk to Market Street for its many public transportation options, and a few minutes farther beyond Market Street for lunch at Yank Sing, my dim sum mecca whenever in SF.

What really struck me about the Omni however was the staff's extremely warm and welcoming attitude. Between the huge smile and the upgrade, I was treated so much like a VIP at check-in that I almost thought they had mistaken me for some other guest! I passed along my positive comments to management at the time, but the details were really telling - when I was checking in, I was told that the suite assigned to me did not have windows as large and airy as the same room/suite on another floor, which wasn't ready yet (I arrived at 1 PM). I was asked if I would like to wait a little longer for the room with the better view. I thought that that was a very nice touch in a business hotel; and so I just left my bags, strolled to the Embarcadero and back again, and was in my room half an hour later. Similarly, at about 6 PM I started hearing jackhammers outside in the street and called down to the desk to ask about construction at night, which would have made sleep impossible. The staffer who took my call asked if he could call me back as soon as he looked into it, and within 10 minutes returned my call, advising me in detail (and correctly in the event) that he had ascertained that some work was being done in front of the BofA across the street, but that it would be over by 7:30 and that there would be no work beyond that hour or during the day.

I can't comment on food, fitness or other amenities as my stay was brief and focused on my laptop and the hotel's internet connection (free Wi-Fi comes with membership in Omni's no-cost loyalty program); but I was really struck by the warmth and graciousness of the staff across the board. The Omni is by definition a corporate/business hotel that is part of a large chain, but feels like none of the above due to its personable, personal, and charming staff, who went out of their way to be helpful and even knew and remembered me by my second trip through the lobby. I would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I scoured the Internet for hotels and reviews and am so pleased we selected the Omni! The service was excellent, our turn down service included a personal note, bottled water and ice, and we had complimentary coffee each mornings Omni select members.

The room was spacious, the location was central to everything we wanted to see... Overall a great hotel and an excellent value!

• Stayed December 2012
Pacifica, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

we got a room here for the weekend to celebrate my friend's 50th birthday. for the most part, it was a great central location! however, saturday night, upon arriving back (just three adults) in the wee hours of the morning, we got a knock on the door immediately telling us we were not allowed to talk in our room this late, we needed to 'chat in the lobby'. we were not being loud, we didn't have the music on and we didn't have the TV on. normal conversation. not 20 minutes later, again, they knocked on our door telling us we couldn't be talking in our rooms at this hour. for $200 a night, i will do whatever i damn well please when it is normal talking level, and nothing like teenagers whoop it up with hooting and hollering. i have never been in a hotel where i was told we were not allowed to chat in our room at 3am because it was too loud? we are in an area paying GOOD money, i wouldn't stay there again if our lives depended on it. that was just disrespectful and rude.

then lets add the next morning when someone tried to barge in at 9am (after going to bed late!), something about the minibar?? (never touched it) then we asked for a late check out with 2 more attempts at housekeeping to get in (even with the privacy sign). couldn't sleep because all i could hear was housekeeping knocking on other's doors and the slamming of the doors constantly.

Avon CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

First time in San Francisco. Booked this hotel literally the day before arrival and got a great rate through hotels.com.

Front desk and concierge service was exceptional - staff was very helpful with directions around the city and recommendations for restaurants. Everyone was very friendly and seemed to genuinely want to help you. Room was very well kept and had a large bathroom. Only negative was no refrigerator, but on the plus side they do have free morning coffee and leave out fresh fruit and cold tea during the afternoon.

Location is great-- very easy walk to Chinatown and just a slightly longer, but still easy, walk to the Ferry Building and Union Square. Valet parking is pricey but not out of line with other SF hotels and there are lots in the immediate area where you can save a little bit. Close to BART if, like me, you prefer public transporation whenever possible.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Omni San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!