“Perfect location. Impeccable service...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni San Francisco Hotel

You added Omni San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Omni San Francisco Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #2 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
“Perfect location. Impeccable service...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Positives: The service is second to none. The location is fabulous. The price was fantastic through Travelocity. Complimentary champagne in the evening was a nice touch. We needed someone to uncork our wine and they actually sent someone up to the room to do it for us.

Negative: Their coffee machine was down and therefore was unable to make a latte for us (Really not a big deal since there was a Starbucks right around the corner).

I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Greek first
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I made reservations at the Omni largely because of the predominately very good reviews on Tripadvisor. However, we encountered a stream of problems. First, after making reservations on Orbitz, I had a work conflict develop. Almost a week ahead of time, I tried to change the reservations. Not cancel, change. Here was the deal for us: if we wanted to change our reservations, they would keep ALL of the money. I know that there are different deals and specials. But despite asking Orbitz, who even talked to a shift supervisor at the Omni, and calling back the next day and trying ourselves, the deal was, for two rooms at two nights each "if you change the reservation, the cancellation fee is 100% of both nights for both rooms". It makes me wonder if they put people on mute and laugh "buawahhhaha" right after telling this to guests.

As a frequent traveler, I was surprised. Even when there are stated policies like this, if someone wants a change almost a week in advance for different days with a decent reason, I haven't seen others try to keep all the money for all the nights as a change fee. Doing so has a tendency to have travelers never stay there again, tell their friends, tell their coworkers, and put bad reviews on Tripadvisor. Seems like exactly the kind of thing Omni's owner TRT Holdings in Irving TX might want to consider changing.

So, I had to miss my business appointment. Still, I might not have given this hotel such a poor rating. But other things went wrong, especially at the concierge desk. Despite going to the concierge desk four times from Friday afternoon Nov 30th to Sunday morning, Dec 2nd, we didn't actually talk to a concierge.

Instead, it was mostly the front desk people. Not particularly good at restaurant recommendations or how to get there, which was important because it was rainy and windy.

We asked about tour buses, and they struggled. When we chose a tour company, they called the company to ask what hours they were running (probably a good idea on a rainy day). They gave us some nice-looking discount vouchers, which didn't say how much of a discount they would provide. The vouchers have shiny copy-protection things on them like old school retail software packages. They kept them in special boxes, and they are numbered for tracking.

However, when we went to use them, one of the four vouchers had, according to the tour company, already been used. Two of them we did not get any credit for, because they gave us two "family" vouchers, which are meant for children, not adults. We had four adults and those two were useless. Four vouchers, one actual discount.

The hotel staff also didn't know there were two nearby places for pickup, both about a quarter mile away. They directed us to Stop 5 on the Big Bus map, near Embarcadero. Not knowing if the tour would be any good in the rain, we went to Stop 18 instead, Hotel Triton near Chinatown. That had the advantage of us seeing Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, and the waterfront near Downtown first. It also made for an easy return to the hotel if weather was awful. Hotel Triton has a large awning so that waiting in the rain is ok.

The Big Bus tour was good, considering it was rainy and windy at the beginning, and fairly cold most of the trip.

When walking back to the hotel, if you aren't using your GPS keep in mind that the arrow showing the Omni Hotel is in the wrong place on their own map that the front desk or concierge will give you. Their citywide map shows the Omni located on Montgomery between Clay and Sacramento Street. What's actually there? Not the Omni, but rather the Pacific Heritage Museum. Luckily, this struck me as odd, and I used the GPS on my phone. The entrance for the Omni is on California just uphill from Montgomery Street.

The Omni is one of those hotels that thinks it's a cool idea to charge $10 for internet access.

The good parts were: decent snacks like gingerbread cookies and warm cider in the lobby when it was cold. Apples and pears at other times of the day. There are good restaurants nearby in Belden Place. If you are there during the week, directly across from the Hotel in the bottom of the 555 Montgomery is Saint Germain Crêperie. Very good, but that location is only open M-F.

The fitness center has good equipment, and everything worked in our room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Every year we stay at the Omni on the weekend after Thanksgiving. It's a wonderful quiet location near the Financial district, and a short walk to Union Square, Chinatown, North Beach, or the Ferry building. The hotel interior is beautiful, clean, with nice touches in the lobby, like apples and tea. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Sign up for the omni loyalty program for free wireless and free morning tea or coffee delivered to you room. Check out Belden Lane (one block south) for cool restaurants in easy walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hurricane, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I read some reviews and decided to try out the Omni. One review said there was a lot of street noise. We didn't find that to be true. We were there on July 4th so we were ready for noise. There was some but I think there was noise everywhere. Our stay was wonderful. The service was excellent. The staff was friendly and very willing to give us ideas on the best ways to get around and places to see. The entire time we were there we only opened the entrance door once. We were always greeted by friendly doormen coming and going. The rooms were clean and roomy. The Omni was in a great location with a trolley stop just down the street. If I get to return to San Francisco, I will be staying at the Omni!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Las Cruces, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Omni and we enjoyed it. The staff were very helpful and friendly and they were especially nice to our kids. They even gave them a small gift on arrival. It's located in the financial district close to nice restaurants and walking distance to the Embarcadero, China town and Union square. It's not a 4 star hotel but it's very nice and we would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights here on a first visit in San Francisco, booked online and it's been a dream experience and worth every cent.

Location:
Location is great and in a very safe, clean, convenient and well kept area. There are awesome neighbourhoods to explore right around. The business district is always safe and well lit day and night. An easy 5-15 minute walk to the Ferry building, union square, Chinatown and Little Italy. I didn't take the cable car or Bart but it's a very short work to the trollys and BART at market street which were easy to get around in. I didn't drive and took the supershuttle to and from the hotel, with traffic it was about 40 mins (maybe more for stops), and without it was 20 mins.

I'm glad I wasn't staying in the wharf or union square because the surroundings didn't seem like a tourist trap. I had almost all my meals at Chinatown/North Beach (little Italy) nearby and food was abundantly cheap ($5-15 per meal), many choices of restaurants and menus and very authentic.

Staff and services:
Staff were helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. Check in was and they were helpful in orienting myself around the city and pointing out sights to check out. I needed a late checkout on the last day and they easily accommodated that. Housekeeping and turn down service is great and kept everything in good order. There was a note on arrival and daily memos which was a very personal touch. Definitely sign up to be a Gold member for free on the website for free wifi, morning drink and complimentary pressing/shoe shine.

Wifi is fast and reliable. Simply connect each time loggon on, no need to refresh every few hours. There's apple cider and apples in lobby each day which was great. Bell staff courteous and helpful.

Room amenities:
I stayed in a King room facing California. View was ok, quiet. There's a mini bar but no space for keeping drinks cold (maybe I could have asked, I didn't). Turn down service brings you ice anyway in the evening, which was a great touch. My king bed was great, bed and pillows were spotless and very comfy. Bath was hot and strong, lots of space and everything in good working order. There's a safe, bath robes, lots of hangers, iron and ironing board. Big flat screen TV, writing desk, alarm clock, relaxing chair and footstool. There's a coffee maker and supplies.

Would definitely come back if I can afford it. A definite no brainer for its price category.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed here a Friday and Saturday night. As a member of their Select Guest program you get a beverage delivered to your room in the morning and a paper of your choice, free wifi, and other perks that helped to make my stay very enjoyable. It was very nice to have fresh hot coffee, which was very good for hotel coffee, and the Chronicle to read Sunday morning when I awoke.The room was decent sized and clean, with robes and plenty of towels. I didn't pay for an upgraded room so the view from my room was the inside of the block, a roof below and buildings on the other three sides. Check in and check out was very quick and easy, and for that little interaction the front desk staff was very pleasant and courteous. I liked the room and would definitely stay there again and will try other Omni hotels, the wifi was ok.

Room Tip: I was on the 10th floor in an interior room and it was very quiet.