“Family vacation/conference” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aurora, Colorado, United States
“Family vacation/conference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed at hotel for long weekend. I attend a conference at the Moscone center which was within safe and easy walking distance from the hotel. My husband and daughter toured the city. The pool is small but was adequate for an hour break for them. Hotel was clean. Close to many restaurants. Staff was very friendly. Always greeting you with a smile. Starbucks in the lobby was great to grab coffee on the way to a meeting. No complaints.

Room Tip: Top floor, ask for a bay view to get a glimpse of the Bay bridge
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hotel is not to far from the convention center if you are staying there. I don't think they read the profile preferences as I ask for a low level room due to earthquake safety and I was only offered a top floor room. I am a long standing rewards member and I have never had a problem with my Marriott profile or credit card information being accessed by someone else at a Marriott. During my trip to SF, I stayed at 3 different Marriott resorts and this was the last one with about a 5 day stay. The hotel permitted a unauthorized individual to access my personal account after I paid with my credit card approximately 2 weeks after my stay. The unauthorized work associate called the hotel essentially to rack up points on her corporate account card. I had paid cash on my personal credit card and was not notified of this act. This resulted in me being short changed about $1000 on my expense report due to unsavory acts of a associate. Marriott permitted changes on my stay/account that I did not authorize. The hotel should of contacted me directly. I am a bit surprised that the credit card company did not think a hotel return was odd. I contacted to correct and no corrective action was taken in a timely manner. Not a good experience given my Gold rewards status. I overpaid my credit card company and they say spend the money or wait 90 days for a check. The Courtyard failed me on keeping my data and information secure with a unsavory act by a work associate.

Room Tip: There is a breakfast area that is hard to find on the first floor. Court yard/outdoor was not availa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience. I regret to hear of the financial inconvenience you encountered. Please accept my most sincere apology. At Marriott International the safety and security of our guests is our utmost priority. This includes the security of your personal payment information. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in more detail so that I might better understand your situation. Please contact me at 415-486-6401 so that I may offer my assistance, and personally ensure that your personal information is protected.

Debbie Bonafede
Courtyard by Marriott, San Francisco Downtown
Capitola, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed here for one night when I went to see the Giants play. It's a great place if that's part of your plan - it's well within walking distance and you have lots of company along the route. The hotel staff was super welcoming, check-in was very quick. The room was large, had a nice view of the city and all its hustle and bustle. It wasn't a long walk at all to Union Square or the Ferry Building and I never needed to use my car. Parking is ridiculously expensive (it is at every hotel) so I parked at the garage on 5th and Mission and walked the 10 minutes to the hotel and saved $20.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
I am so glad you were able to stay at our hotel while attending a Giants game! We are proud of the fact that we are the closest hotel to AT&T Park, home to the World Champion San Francisco Giants! I hope your travels bring you back to San Francisco soon. We look forward to having you as our guest again! Thanks so much for your review!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotel is convenient located within San Francisco. It was a quick walk from BART and the Caltrain as well as several tourist sights (e.g., AT&T Park, the MoMA). The lobby and courtyard were beautiful and we enjoyed sitting by the fire several evenings. Our room was just average though - small and with an awkward bathroom in that the vanity/sink as located outside the toilet/shower and had carpeting. Comparing it to other Courtyard Marriott hotel rooms, I don't think the price was justified... but, such is San Francisco I suppose!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks so much for the review of your recent stay at the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown. I am so glad you were able to enjoy our recently renovated courtyard. The addition of the large fire pit, heat lamps and lounge seating has been very well received by our guests. Be assured I will pass on your comments regarding our guest rooms to our Marriott Leadership. We are continuously looking for ways to improve our design. Thank you again for your review!
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This is a great no-nonsense business hotel. I've stayed here three times, and it has always been easy, smooth, and reliable.

The service is good, but the staff assume you're a business traveler and "want the short version". I like that when I'm traveling on business, and appreciate how fast check-in and check-out are.

Rooms are clean and furnished fine for a Courtyard. Lobby is well above average, and there's a Starbucks in the lobby, which is handy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review and for being a frequent guest of our hotel! I am pleased to see that our services and amenities – especially the Starbucks in the lobby – work well for your travel needs. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Chinnor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed for 5 nights while attending a conference in the nearby Moscone Centre. This is a bit more than your normal 'Courtyard' and has a bar (which also serves food), outside area heated by gas heaters (this is San Francisco, remember) and a breakfast room. The breakfasts were fine although a little pricey at $20.

The rooms were average with a view of... an office block next to you! Beds as in all Marriotts were super comfy, there was free wifi and the room/bathroom was clean and relatively quiet. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your recent review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed our newly heated outdoor courtyard and that the room was comfortable for your needs during your conference. Thanks again for the kind feedback!
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This was my second time staying here. The room was clean and well furnished with a comfortable bed. Be sure to bring your water bottle because there is delicious, free spa water in the lobby. Much better than buying bottles in the room!

I'm taking the time to write a second review because I probably won't stay here again. This is because I had such a frustrating experience with the gym. This gym is small, with 3 treadmills, one bench, one mat, one yoga mat and one set of dumbbells. When I arrived at 5:45am, every piece of equipment in the place was occupied. Then someone, looking disappointed, stepped off of a treadmill. I started the treadmill and it wasn't working properly. It wouldn't accept any user inputs. I checked for a power switch, none there. I went to the cluster of plugs on the wall and warned the runner next to me that I might get the wrong one. (Thank you gym mates for being good sports on this). Anyhow, after unplugging both of the other treadmills, I finally reset mine and it started working. I got in my run, but I wouldn't have gotten a treadmill if it had been working properly to begin with.

Next I needed about 5 minutes on the bench and another 5-10 minutes with a mat. There was a guy holding possession of both, while another guy was haggling with him to get a turn with some of the weights. I decided to get breakfast and come back.

Half an hour later, everyone was different but the gym was just as crowded. Someone was using the mat and there was a woman sitting on the bench doing something with her cell phone. I folded the yoga mat a couple of times and was able to use that for my workout, but floor space was an issue. I was definitely in other people's way and we were stepping all over each other. Now the woman with the cell phone was still sitting on the bench and still not exercising, looking at her phone. I asked if I could use the other end of the bench, thinking this would alert her to the fact that people were waiting for the bench. It didn't work, but at least I got in one more exercise. I never could complete that workout that day.

The other thing is that this hotel is actually a fair distance from Moscone. The other hotels are closer. I'm going to check out the reviews and see if I can find one with a better gym next time. I'm afraid to run outside as I don't know the neighborhood well, and that early there are not a lot of other pedestrians...

I do agree with the other reviewers that this is a step above other Courtyard hotels, as it has on site dining and a bar. Sometimes when I am at a Courtyard, I feel as if I have stepped into a desert...not here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the feedback! I am very sorry our exercise room did not meet your needs during your recent visit. I am, however, happy to report that we will begin an exercise room expansion in the next 30-60 days which will both increase floor space as well as enable us to add an additional 4 pieces of cardio equipment. I truly hope you will give us another chance on a future visit to San Francisco. I assure you that your fitness experience will be much better in the future. Thanks again for your feedback!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown? Share your experiences!