“Average business hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Average business hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Nothing particularly bad about this hotel, it's just generally unremarkable. It's well located in the heart of soma, an easy walk to the bay, market street etc. everything works fine and is generally clean, but it's more a place to sleep than a joy to stay at, and the breakfast was poor. Gym is small. Staff are generally friendly and responsive. If you can get a good deal, great, if you happen to be booking when there's a big conference on, the prices are super expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thanks so much for completing a review of our hotel. I’m happy to hear our location worked well for you. I have shared your feedback regarding our breakfast options with our Director of Food and Beverage. We are continually trying to improve in this area and appreciate your candid feedback. You may be interested to know we are expanding our exercise room at the end of this year. You can look forward to a better gym experience during your next stay! Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I only stayed here one night and really liked the hotel. I got lucky with a very reasonable rate (for SF), my room was spotless clean, and the hotel is pretty good location - a short walk (10 minute or so) walk to the Union Square area.

I arrived at noon just hoping to drop off my luggage so I could go out and explore. The lady at the front desk asked, without me prompting, if I would like for her to check to see if I could check-in and she checked me into a room. I REALLY appreciated that she offered without me asking. I was able to gather my things and get ready to go out. Her offering meant a lot to me and is GREAT customer service. The gentleman at check-out was also very nice.

Outstanding customer service and spotless clean room = highly recommended hotel and will highly consider when I get back to SF!

FYI...Valet parking is steep (but the going rate for SF) at $52. I made a wrong turn getting to the hotel and stumbled upon a parking garage a block away for $32. It's on Hawthorne Street between Folsom and Howard if you want to save $20. It's a secured garage at night (closes at 7 PM). Highly recommend taking BART to the hotel though - I needed a car.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your strong recommendation of our hotel! I am very happy our front desk was able to accommodate you for an early arrival. Please let me know if I can be of any help for future stays at our hotel. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I've waited a year to write this review, mainly to let the anger settle. We stayed 5 days here, leaving our car in the hotel parking the entire time as we'd rather use public transportation in SF. When we picked up our car, we immediately noticed things were awry. The inside trap door for the wiring/engine access was off, lying on the floor. I had inadvertently left a set of keys inside and they were now missing (a year later, still no sign of them), and our spare tire had magically disappeared, with all of our things spread out and trashed all over the back cargo area. We were told to call the manager and let him know. We did that, and he turned us over to the valet service. They said they looked at video and never saw anything, however, we were not allowed to view it ourselves. Adding insult to injury, our billing was messed up - we were so disgusted with everything else, we just gave in and paid up just to be done with this hotel. I'm so extremely disappointed that our stay at this beautiful property was marred by all of this. We are Platinum members and have NEVER had anything go wrong with our stays. The management is amazing and helpful, and the concierge had information ready for us each morning. I wish I could say all of the staff was that helpful. I suppose the moral of this is: guest beware - check your car every single day whether you're intending to use it or not. And do NOT leave anything in there (even your spare tire?!!) that you do not want taken.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are amazingly quiet - best night's sleep away from traffic and the views are inc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with our valet service. I know it has been a year since your visit but please be assured I will discuss this immediately with our valet company. You certainly should expect your car to be perfectly safe when parking in the hotel garage. I would be happy to speak to you, at your convenience, to discuss this issue further. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me at 415-486-6401. Thank you and once again, my apologies. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
Mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We flew to San Francisco and our first night was spent at the Mariott Courtyard downtown San Francisco. It was a great location for us - easy walking distance to Chinatown, to the cable cars, and to the Embarcadero waterfront area by the bay. The hotel reception staff were friendly and helpful, even though we were early for check-in. They directed us to a nearby bar so we could relax prior to exploring the city for a brief afternoon. The rooms were quite spacious, as was the bathroom. The hotel is very clean - it has a bright lobby area with seating, and a small but nice bar we used at the end of the night. There is only valet parking. There is a gym, pool and hot tub area, but we didn't have time to use the facilities. There is access to a Starbucks from the lobby, and a hotel restaurant we didn't use. All in all, a nice downtown hotel, pleasant and helpful staff, and a very comfortable hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your review and recommendation of our hotel. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel staff helpful. I will make a point to pass on your comments about how happy you were with the cleanliness and overall ambiance of the hotel. Please let me know if I can be of any help for future stays at our hotel. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager, 415-486-6401.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The front desk staff was very friendly and the room was spacious and clean. We were on a high up floor so there was no street noise as commented on in other reviews. My only complaint has to do with the car pull-in area. For some reason there were a lot of little flies flying around. There is a trash bin outside which did not smell, but was apparently attracting something. They were there all 3 days so it's wasn't just a one time fluke and made it unpleasant to wait for the car from the valet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us during your conference. I have passed on your comments to our engineering and valet teams regarding the flies you encountered at the entrance while waiting for your car. We will certainly follow up on this! Thank you again for your review.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The staff was friendly. Our room was clean. The location is within walking distance to market street and the ferry building. Street noise was a little loud, but nothing ear plugs couldn't block out. I would stay here again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks so much for your kind review! I was so happy to read your recommendation. Please let me know if I can be of any help when your travel brings you back to San Francisco. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
Lander, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The great location of this hotel is its biggest advantage although it is clean, modern and very appealing. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are a bit bigger than average and the lobby is attractive. The food in the morning (not included in the room price) was expensive but there are plenty of places nearby that are quite convenient and reasonable. There is a Starbuck's in the lobby and a mini-market/package store across the way which is handy. The location is a few minutes walk from the Ferry Building (and the beautiful prominade along the water where the old elevated highway had been). It is in close proximity to the Union Square shopping and the business district. Typical Marriott quality. I never drive in San Francisco but if you have to have a car, the hotel provides parking but it is very expensive. I like that the hotel is more business oriented which makes it quieter and more serene, particularly in tourist season. Close to the convention center.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your kind review. I am glad you found our location the perfect fit for your needs and you were able to see some of the beautiful sights of San Francisco. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to San Francisco. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown? Share your experiences!