“Hidden downtown destination” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
durham, nc
“Hidden downtown destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Located on second street, nearby the Moscone center and not far from union square, a quiet, not so expensive place to stay with good rooms (spacious) and decent services. Good service, nice location. I wouldn't rave about any of the above but you are near the heart of SF, at a convenient location and price. View of the bay bridge is added value.

Room Tip: High floors have better views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thanks so much for your recommendation of our hotel. I'm happy our convenient location worked so well for you. The views from many of our rooms are a definite value. Thanks again for taking the time to write of review. We look forward to having you as our guest again! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Alpine, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having left the Fairfield Inn in Millbrae over poor service, arriving at the courtyard was a welcome experience. The location was definitely much better for my business purpose of being in the city, and the hotel and rooms were well kept and clean. Location was great too. Service at the restaurant in the lobby and staff put a smile on my face. Only three blocks from Montgomery Station if you;re taking BART to get there, so it was convenient for me to get to/from the airport.

Room Tip: High floor gets you possible view of the bay
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dave thanks so much for your review. I love your comment that "service in the restaurant put a smile on your face”. I will be sure to share this with the team! Thanks again! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
Fullerton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

we stayed here on the last weekend of September 2013and although check in was in till 3 o'clock through the help of great staff we were able to check in early at 11 a.m. The hotel is an a good location lots of options for public transportation, many options for eating out within walking distance or you can head to the wharf. Room was impeccably clean. Bed was very comfortable we were able to get a great nights sleep had no issues with outside noises.
But be prepared for parking at the hotel which is very expensive if you don't have to bring a car and can stay here and visit the city using public transportation I recommend you do so.
60 US dollars to park at the hotel. We brought our car it was just for the weekend trip but staff was very helpful in pointing off sight parking options which saved us a ton of money. don't be afraid to ask them for system

Room Tip: Stayed in room 829..no outside noise issues..slept great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sirilo, thanks so much for your review. I am happy we were able to accommodate you for an early arrival and our location worked well for your needs. Please be assured I will pass on your kind remarks regarding our service to my staff. We hope to see you again soon! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is a very comfortable Marriott property located in SOMA, close to the Financial District and many tourist sites. The rooms are large and and my room on the seventh floor had a very nice view of the city. The staff are very professional and courteous. It's more expensive than Courtyard properties in many other cities, but hey, this is San Francisco!

Oh, don't eat breakfast there - it's an extra $18.95. You have a Starbucks just off the lobby as well as several restaurants around the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind reveiw. I'm so glad you enjoyed our location! We have the best of both worlds...only a couple of blocks from all the great San Francisco attactions but with a neighborhood feel. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the City. Please come visit us again soon! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager, 415-486-6401.
Norcal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Booked a room at the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown for my stay during a meeting in August of this year. It is a short two or three block walk to the Moscone South Convention Center and convenient to many South of Market (SOMA) restaurants and attractions.
The room was clean, quiet and convenient. The bed was very comfortable and I had a restful sleep for the two nights that I was there.
I made my reservation to include their valet parking.... a pretty good deal, considering the normal costs of parking in San Francisco. The valet attendants were quick.
The front desk was friendly and efficient.
There is a Starbucks in the lobby to help get your day going, if you need it....
I will seriously consider this property if I should need to stay in The City again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am thrilled our location, close to Moscone Convention Center, worked well for you! Thanks, also for your kind feedback on our hotel amenities and service. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager, 415-486-6401.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Hotel is located just of Market Street which is a main shopping area with great transport links.It is just a short walk up Second St to the hotel.Lovely big reception area with comfortable seating areas,a Starbucks and a small shop for snacks and souveniers.We like to not eat breakfast in hotels and instead to eat out and explore the area,so cannot rate the hotel breakfast.The rooms are big and had two huge beds.(Also a comfy armchair and footstool.)Good shower and large bath. The hotel staff were helpful and pleasant,with free maps and comp newspapers each day.There is also a stylish bar area.We were on 18th floor which had good views.We made use of the utility room having stayed in Marriot Hotels previously.We found great places to eat nearby each evening although there is a good bus service on 2nd St to venture further afield.There is an underground stop at bottom of street also,for Bart train to Airport or just for M.U.N.I underground.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the views from the top floor (18th) and the fact the hotel is on a hill
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your recent review. I'm so happy you enjoyed your visit with us and that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location. I agree, we have some great dining options both in the hotel and very nearby. Good for you that you got out to enjoy our city! Please let me know if I can be of any help for future stays at our hotel. Debbie Bonafede, General Manager, 415-486-6401.
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here for the first time. I've stayed at nearly every Marriott property in the city and this one is just average. There is nothing wrong with it, its just not a stand out. Its your typical Courtyard. The rooms are a bit sparse and showing some age but it was clean and comfortable. Valet was quick. Breakfast was good. Rates seemed a bit high. You can stay at other full service Marriott properties for the same or a bit more.

Room Tip: 18th floor is the top. Get a city view if you can.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Debbie B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. I am happy to hear you found your room accommodations very comfortable and clean. I will also pass along your kind comments to our Valet staff. I know Downtown San Francisco prices can discourage travelers. Please know we are making every effort to keep our hotel up to date and competitive within this market. Again, many thanks for taking the time to send us your review! Debbie Bonafede, General Manager, 415-486-6401

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown? Share your experiences!