“Be yourself” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mission District

Mission District
San Francisco, CA (Mission)
Website
Activities: Dining, Shopping, City walk sightseeing
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The city’s oldest and most vibrant neighborhood has an eclectic collection of shops, bars, restaurants and clubs rich in history and Latin culture. Colorful murals decorate fences, building walls and garage doors.
calgary
“Be yourself”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our most recent visit to SF was our third. We've stayed just outside of town, downtown (Market Street) and Mission. On future visits, we'll definitely come back to Mission. The highlight of this trip (our first with a baby) was the walkability of the area; everything you need is within walking distance - shopping, restaurants, sightseeing. We walked as far as Westfield Centre one day, and over to Castro the next. From the Castro, you can also take cable cars to many other attractions; we'll make use of this on future visits.

Visited May 2013

• Greek first
Madison, Wisconsin
127 attraction reviews
“Ethnic and diverse but sketchy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went during Carnaval 2013. After we left the blocked off areas for Carnaval, we walked around Mission district and it was very sketchy at times. A lot of homeless people on the streets selling used goods or just mumbling to themselves. The BART station on 16th smells of urine and there are a lot of people just "hanging around" outside. However, I can tell that this area is very diverse with a lot of ethnic cuisines. One of the best Mexican restaurants in SF (as recommended by a lot of websites), La Taqueria, is located on 24th. That area doesn't seem as sketchy as other parts of Mission that we were in.

Visited May 2013
Manchester, England
66 attraction reviews
“Lucky to have picked this district to stay in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

On a short working trip to SF, we decided to get an apartment in the Mission District rather than stay in a Financial District hotel. What a good choice! It's my first visit to SF, and I fell in love the minute I arrived. The Mission is very vibrant, very pretty (all those pastel painted houses), scattered with loads of amazing murals reflecting the Latino culture and the history of the district, and some fab eateries (though I quickly learned you need recommendations, as there are many, and the first one I picked by chance was not great). There are a fair few homeless people here, which took me aback at first, but no aggression or hassle at all, in fact, some of them helped me when I was a bit lost. Don't be afraid of this district, it's a great place to stay.

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
38 attraction reviews
“Really different and vibrant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I spent a few hours walking around and loved the back alley art & awesome food locations! My favourite food was the Clarion Murals & Balmy Murals.

Visited March 2013
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Love the mission”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We spent half a day exploring the mission district, absolutely loved it here. Wish I could have been here longer. The murals are fantastic. If you get a chance grab a burrito or go to Paxton gate or hang out at the park. The f line stops at the top of Delores, just explore from here. Cool place xx