“Comfortable, Friendly Stay in Pleasant Location” 4 of 5 stars

Book a Free Breakfast PKG
Ranked #8 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Comfortable, Friendly Stay in Pleasant Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

A lovely boutique-type hotel 3 mins from Chinatown, Nob Hill right next to the Hyde-Powell cable car stop. Was here for 3 days on business and got upgraded to a suite (room 301). Great space and a gargantuan bathroom. Hotel staff were wonderful, pleasant greeting from door staff through to the cleaners, really top notch. They couldn't have been more helpful.

The hotel is very central and on my one day off, was a great starting place to walk through Chinatown to North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf.

Room itself was clean, tidy, well decorated and the bed was fantastic, if I could've sneaked it out of the room and to my house, I would have. Would definitely come back again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed at The Orchard Hotel for a week in early October and loved it. This was our second visit to this hotel and both times the staff were friendly and helpful; room and bed were comfortable and the location was convenient.
The restaurant was also very nice-- the meatloaf was great! Didn't have time for breakfast most days but it looked nice enough.

Bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Booked a two day stay based on TA reviews. On arrival we were told that some guests had not booked out of their rooms and there was no availability for us, and as a result they had arranged for us to stay one night at the Club Quarters and they would refund us the cost of one night's stay in compensation for the inconvenience. There was not a lot that could be done about the situation although it was fairly annoying as we had chosen the Orchard for its proximity to Union Square and Club Quarters is in the Financial District. Upon checking in to the Club Quarters we were given a tiny room with a queen bed, - apparently CQ does not have rooms with two beds or so they claim. This was certainly the smallest hotel room I have stayed in and the bathroom was similarly minute.

The following day around 2.30 pm we duly turned up at the Orchard to check in, to be told that rooms were still being made up. When eventually we got a room, the wireless internet did not work. After spending half an hour talking to the wireless service provider without any solution, I then found that the issue was due to our room being too far from the wireless node for a strong enough signal to be detected by the laptop. Some time later another network was set up which worked.

On checking out of the hotel, I enquired as to how the refund for the first night's stay was going to be made as I had booked through a travel web site and pre-paid. I was then told that no refund would be forthcoming as I had booked online and that was that. Needless to say I was less than amused that they had reneged on their word.

We also had a maid come barging in to our room despite there being a Do Not Disturb sign hung on the doorknob. She wanted to check the minibar fridge and when I said we had not used anything she then left, grumbling away in her dialect.

Putting all those issues aside, I would say that the staff are not overly friendly, the service (what little we saw of it) was average, the room, furnishings, TV and bathroom were dated. I won't be bothering them again in the future.

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

The Orchard Hotel is a favorite in San Francisco. I've stayed at the Park 55, the Hyatt, the ANA, and others and have found this smaller property is a jewel that can stand up to any of the major hotels. The service is first class, the rooms elegantly maintained and larger than most SF properties. The bathrooms are spacious and beautifully done in marble with contemporary fixtures, etc.

I frequently travel alone on business and the dining experience provides attentive service and excellent food. The friendly wait staff alleviate any awkwardness that a woman dining alone may feel.

I'd recommend this property for business or pleasure. It has the connectivity you need for business, conveniently located near Union Square and within walking distance to the financial district, and it has all the comforts for a very relaxing vacation stay.

Sheffield, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

Husband and I stayed for one week at the end of september/beginning of October. We booked based on the reviews here and we weren't disappointed. It was our first visit to San Fran and found it quite hard to get our bearings after catching the BART, but eventually got where we needed to be. The hotel is in an excellent location, just about 2 blocks from Union Square (Go to the cheesecake factory for lunch - in our opinion, the best value meals), and literally on the corner of the cable car stop. China town is 5 minutes walk away, and so too is the Westfield shopping centre.

Our room was very big and had a very large bathroom. We couldn't fault anything. It was very clean and housekeeping did an excellent job. The bed was huge (compared to our standard double back home!) and was actually the comfiest bed I've ever slept in!

We stayed on a room only basis so didn't get the breakfast option, however, we ate in Roxanne's (on the corner, next to the hotel) and in the Cable Car Cafe (on Powell street, almost opposite to the entrance to Roxanne's). The cable car cafe was very good value for money - Bagels, crepes and healthier options were very good.

Reception staff were always very friendly and the concierges were brilliant - we asked for restaurant recommendations a couple of times and they were spot on. (For excellent Pizzas you have to visit Uncle Vitos, opposite corner of the intersection - it doesn't look too inviting, but is the best pizza we've ever tasted).

Wireless internet is free and more than adequate for our needs. There's also a laptop in reception and you can print for a modest fee (handy if you want to check-in online and print your boarding passes).

If you want to travel about a bit the cable car works well but can be very busy with tourists. We found it easy enough to use our 7 day muni pass and caught the buses and F-line wherever we wanted to go.

We could sit here and sing the praises of this hotel all day, but that would make this review too long and boring!

In short, if you want a great hotel, in a great location, with great staff then this should be your first choice. Overall, we found San Francisco quite an expensive place (maybe because Sterling just isn't as strong as it used to be) but there are gems worth paying for and this is one of them.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

I can't remember when I stayed in a nicer place. The staff was very pleasant, and the hotel is perfectly located for my purposes. My room was soooo comfortable, I wish I could stay for a few weeks.

Bennington, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

I chose The Orchard Hotel based on the reviews in tripadvisor. The hotel is everything good said about it previously. The room and bed was so comfortable and the front desk personnel pleasant.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Orchard Hotel? Share your experiences!