“Romantic, wonderful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
“Romantic, wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2004

Had an absolutely awesome time staying here. Our room felt deluxe, even though the hotel is boutique. We appreciated the DVD collection, the excellent door service, and the breakfast was a pleasure. Be sure to check out the Farralon restaurant a block or so away--you will be BLOWN away. It was the dinner of a lifetime. Awesome trip. Be aware hotel is near Union Square, lots of homeless people asking for money.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2004

The Orchard Hotel is undoubtedly the best hotel we've stayed at during all our vacations. Not only was the staff friendly and courteous, the property, located right on the Powell trolley line, was both a relaxing escape and a central location to all the things the city has to offer.

From the hotel we walked to Union Square, Market Street, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Ferry Building. And if we needed to get anywhere further, we caught the Muni or a cab. It was quick, easy and very stress-free.

During our stay — Nov. 6-10, 2004 — we took advantage of the hotel's small but adequate exercise room and free DVD rental service at the front desk.

While the rooms were simple and elegant — and stocked with Aveda products, a huge plus — it was its restaurant, Vignette, that really completed our visit.

The restaurant, which opened a couple of months ago, served us some of the best meals we have ever had. Everything on the menu was excellent. I highly recommend the restaurant's decadent chocolate cake topped with a delicate raspberry sauce. It was AMAZING!

Vignette also serves the complimentary (read: FREE) breakfast buffet of which the quality was very surprising. This wasn't just donuts and coffee. The restaurant served us a variety of breads (lemon, pumpkin, banana), coffee cake, scones, cereal, croissants, fruits and yogurt. Definitely one of the best breakfast buffets we've ever had. And it was FREE. You can't beat that!

Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2004

Recently stayed at the Orchard Hotel 10/16/04-10/19/04. This was probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The entire staff was extremely courteous and helpful. The room was of adequate size, exceptionally clean and nicely decorated. The breakfast buffet was very nice. The location was ideal and in a very safe area. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to others.

Brian Snow

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2004

The hotel's location was ideal with easy access to the Trolley. The staff was extremely accommodating. The concierge recommended a wonderful restaurant and made our dinner reservations before our arrival. The room was very comfortable and clean. Lots of extras including surround sound. Bring your favorite CD's! My one and only suggestion: Adding Downey to the towels.

• Stayed November 2004
Edgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2004

My husband and I stayed at The Orchard from October 8th to the 15th and what a pleasant experience it was !
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home by James the concierge who should soon become a San Francisco Landmark. The rest of the staff is also very friendly and polite.
The Hotel is extremely well kept; this may have to do with the fact that the owner keeps a close eye on the place at all times. Yes! the elderly Chinese lady you see every morning in the restaurant is indeed the owner of the place. I forgot her name but you will not miss her, she is always there. I am only sorry that I found out about her on our last day there, I would have loved to compliment her in person.
The rooms are immaculately clean and nicely decorated. Bathroom, although not huge, was bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in in NYC. Bed was very comfortable also.
Breakfast is included in the price and though not hearty it is fine for an early morning start. Who needs a huge breakfast when you have so much to do and see anyway? All in all great EXPERIENCE !! My only regret is that I did not get as good a deal price wise as others who have written; the average seems to be $150.00; we paid $180.00 which I still find reasonable for the accomodations though.
The location "two blocks away from everything" like James says more than makes up for it.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2004

I recently stayed at the hotel from Nov 2 - Nov 4, 2004. I was in SF for business and wanted to find a hotel near the BART, but also for less than $200. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were accurate. The place was clean, good service, very nice rooms, and overall met my expectations.

The breakfast was ok. Just fruit, a cereal and some pasrties. But hey, for free, it was definitely worth it :) I also thought it was nice to have DVD players in all the rooms and the ability to borrow DVDs for free from the front desk.

The walk from the Powell Bart station was a bit of an uphill climb (you have to walk about 6 blocks, the last two blocks being a bit steep (that is the only reason I do not give this hotel a 5/5, since access to the BART was necessary for this trip. The other reason I gave the hotel a 4/5, is that they do not use two sheets on the bed. They have a botton sheet, but then provide a feather comforter, but no top sheet, b/t you and the comforter. It as soft and fine, but a bit strange.

Overall, if you need to stay in a hotel near downtown (Market Street), need access to the BART, Union Square, and want to pay less than $200, THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2004

This is the real deal, the coffee is a bit weak at breakfast but that is all I can fault them for, excellent hotel, wish we could get something like this in London!

Been to The Orchard Hotel? Share your experiences!