“Spacious rooms, excellent situation.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Orchard Hotel

You added The Orchard Hotel to your Saves list
The Orchard Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   665 Bush Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Union Square)   |
Special Deal
Book a Free Breakfast PKG
Ranked #9 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Paris, France
“Spacious rooms, excellent situation.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We had an early arrival, the staff was very friendly in order to accommodate us as soon as possible. The hotel is situated 5 min walk from Union Square and 2min from Chinatown gate.
The rooms are very clean and spacious. A very big bathroom for San Francisco. It is equipped with a minibar and a safe. unfortunately there is no kettle, but Starbucks is 5min from there. The wifi connection is very fast.
Choose a room in the back, it is very quiet, you are not disturbed by the street noises.
A very good place to stay in SFO!

Room Tip: Choose one in the back.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
El Dorado Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I have stayed at the Orchard on business twice now. Really nice location just off Chinatown gate and close to the Financial District. Away from the tourist hustle of Union Square but close enough to walk to everything. Also, there are 3 or 4 nice French restaurants within a few blocks.

The hotel itself is an older building, nicely restored. The rooms are not bad size for a big, expensive city, and some nice amenities like quality bath products, nice chairs, etc.

The restaurant in the hotel itself was good for breakfast but closed one of the night I arrived, which is a hassle for a business traveler that needs to both fuel up and get some work done. The rooms were also fairly noisy even though I was on a higher floor - but hard to mitigate that right in the middle of the city.

Overall a really pleasant stay and I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Higher floor - street noise!
Green Features: Hotel seems to go out of it's way to be eco -conscious - eg really nice bath products but in dispensers so no waste.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The location of The Orchard is AMAZING...just off Union Square at Powell & Bush with a cable car route at the corner. It offers the character of an older hotel with the amenities of a new property. Rooms and bathrooms are sizeable and immaculate, with comfortable beds and free Wifi. Overall a great stay with a friendly staff.

Green Features: Very environmentally-friendly. There was a card advising we col hang the towels up to indicate we would keep the same towels or throw them on the floor if we wanted clean ones.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Collins C, Front Office Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thanks so much for your review! We have to agree with you that our location suites all travelers with convenient access to all kinds of activities. We are delighted to know that you have had a great stay and found our staff friendly. We appreciate your kind words and commending us on our efforts as an eco-conscious hotel. We sincerely hope to see you again in the nearest future.
Somerville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for five nights during a recent visit to SF. Location is fantastic with about 10 minutes to Moscone Center and you are right in the heart of Union Sq with access to every restaurant imaginable. The staff were beyond helpful and the one issue I had (plug in sink broke), was fixed while I was out one day. The accompanying chocolates when you bed is turned down is a nice touch. Don't forget it's a 20 minute wait for your car if you are using the valet service. Only once did the timeline fail. Most times the car was ready to go. The thin walls are fine, it's an old hotel and the guy farting a floor above is what goes with the territory, but not a show stopped in my mind. If you want a new hotel with sound proof walls for the price here, then you might have a long commute into town.
A coffee machine would have been nice, but then again Starbucks is a block away.

Room Tip: I had #305 about three doors from the elevators and I heard nothing. I faced onto the back alley an...
Green Features: There was an option that I remember not to change the sheets. I also opt for this as it's only a few nights I am staying.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Collins C, Front Office Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience during your recent stay at the Orchard Hotel. It's really great to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It's always good to know that our guest liked our amenities, so we are happy that you were able to enjoy our convenient location, and found our staff were beyond helpful to assist you with all of your needs. Anytime you are traveling back to the Bay Area. I hope you will keep us in mind as your hotel of choice! Until then, Take care and safe travels.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We have had very good experience with this hotel starting from booking our two connecting rooms to checking in to valet parking to getting directions and recommendations for restaurants etc. The staff were all extremely friendly like Phil, Randy, Alfonso, Cornell and the courteous ladies manning the reception. The rooms are clean and tidy and the bath room of surprisingly good size. The hotel is perfectly located between Chinatown and Union Square and is within walking distance to almost everything that San Francisco downtown has to offer. There are plenty of trendy eateries near the hotel and Walgreens, Starbucks etc are everywhere. The cable car, BART, street cars are all nearby. Finally, the valet parking service offered by the hotel is excellent and at only a slightly higher than the park-yourself rate at a nearby garage. I would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Stayed February 2015
Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad that you found us to exceed all of your expectations. Phil, Alfonso and Cornell are great team members and you were in great hands with them during your stay. We can’t help but agree with you on our location. The shopping, the restaurants, the sightseeing… The only decision you really have to make is which direction to out from our front doors? We are happy to hear you have enjoyed the comfy room, considering they are one of the most important elements of the hotel. Please make sure to visit us on your next trip to San Francisco.
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have only positive things to say about this place. This was a very special trip for my mother and I. Although my real purpose for being in San Fran was to present at a conference, I ended up inviting my mother with me because my father just died, and it was always his dream to take her here. This trip became a memorial/try to have some joy while grieving trip, so it was very important to me my mom had a great time. She did, and Orchard was a huge part of that. They treated us like VIPs from start to end, and they didn't even know how special this trip was to us, so this is the sort of treatment all guests can expect (i.e. They weren't just being so nice out of pity). My mother has pretty severe mobility issues, too, and they were so incredibly kind and accommodating. Here are just a few areas of praise I want to single out:

1) The hotel/room. The hotel is lovely, and our room was clean, comfortable, and a good size. I followed the advice of other travelers here and booked a deluxe room facing Bush St. on a high floor. I have not experienced other rooms to know whether this was entirely necessary, but I can say my room was very quiet, and we both slept well despite being light sleepers. The beds were amazing, too!

2) The staff. I should have put them first because they were what really set this place apart, but I know people always want to hear about the rooms first. The staff went above and beyond. The people at the front desk give you a warm welcome each time you walk in, like they've genuinely been looking forward to your return. The servers in the restaurant were very accommodating and helpful. However, the doormen/concierges were the best. Alfonso, in particular, was a total doll, treating my mom like royalty, answering all of our questions, a bailing us out within minutes when a tour company I'd booked for my mom to tour with while I was presenting canceled on us at 9:30 the night before! Within ten minutes, Alfonso had booked a new tour that would accommodate her disability and ran the brochure up to our room so we could check it out. He was amazing! Cornell (I hope I got his name right) was also incredible, answering questions, giving advice on/booking tours. Amazing.

3) Location. You are right in the heart of things here. Chinatown gate and Union Square are both two blocks away, the Bart is less than ten minutes' walk away, there is a cable car stop on the corner, and everything else is accessible via a short cab or bus ride. Plus, there is a lot of shopping and great restaurants nearby. You'll be very happy.

4) The food. I booked a special package on tripadvisor for a free breakfast with my rate. If you can do that, do. Even if you can't, I think it would still be worth it. The food is great, the portions are very generous, and you get decent variety. I don't think (by San Fran standards) the price you would pay is outrageous (I saw the prices on the menu but won't put them here because prices are always subject to change). Also, they are very accommodating to dietary needs. Although nothing on the menu is vegan (great veggie options, though), they happily adjusted a dish for me each morning, and it was fantastic! They should really make it a regular menu fixture because it was amazing, but they're very willing to adjust the food for you as you need it.

You really can't go wrong booking here. I think this place would work for families, couples, and business people, so there is something for everyone.

Thanks for a great time, Orchard! You made a very special trip even more special!

Room Tip: Deluxe room, high floor, facing Bush St. was great. Others might be, too.
Green Features: Fantastic! Very green! They're planting a tree for every review they get!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for the gracious review on our property, specifically our staff. I must admit, we are extremely lucky to have a team of employee’s that sincerely care about our guest and their experience. From the Front Desk, Housekeepers to the Restaurant servers… We are work together as a team with one goal in mind, YOU! We are pleased to hear we have met, even exceeded your expectations. Come back and see us again soon.
Tel Aviv District, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A lovely little hotel at the heart of everything. just two blocks from union square. Very clean and well maintained. Very helpful staff. This is a boutique hotel, so don't accept too many amenities and the lobby is only functional. The hotel is at Nob hill's slopes there is some climbing but not that bad.

Room Tip: From some reason, the window wont open
Green Features: They claim a tree will be planted for each TripAdvisor review. positive or negative!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review! We are thrilled to hear that you have experienced a warm welcomed from us throughout your stay. Our staff is our pride and joy. We are glad that they have assisted you during your entirely stay and that you found our room clean and very comfortable. Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Orchard Hotel soon.
Front Office Manager

Been to The Orchard Hotel? Share your experiences!