“A Very Long Review” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
atlanta
“A Very Long Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We booked the Orchard based on other TA reviews and because they have suite rooms with sleeper sofas, a necessity since we were three people.

First I will start with all the things we liked about The Orchard. The property is in a great location with plenty of eateries, a Walgreens, Starbucks, a rental car place, Union Square and Chinatown within a few blocks. If you are a shopper, it is also near all the big retail stores. The trolley is right at the corner (this is VERY noisy but it shuts down about 11 pm or so) and the Muni is about 6 blocks away. The Orchard has wonderful linens and very comfortable bedding (except as noted below) with nice squishy pillows. Our room was very clean (there were some stains on the very light carpet - they may be hard to remove), the bathroom was HUGE and even had a scale in it. Be warned, if you have a cold or allergies, the eco-tissue paper is flimsy – double up! We had plenty of room and closet space, with a safe, two luggage racks and robes inside. We were next to the elevator but we never heard it in the sleeping areas. There is a pod coffee maker in the room but for what the hotel charges per night, it would be nice to have complimentary brewed coffee in the lobby. Many lower priced hotels do. The doormen/concierge were extremely nice and helpful with directions, etc. During our stay we interacted with four front desk receptionists: the ladies were quite friendly and nice, but the two gentlemen could be a bit warmer. The housekeeping staff was also very sweet but…. (see dislikes)

Now for the dislikes. Most are minor but one odd gaff. We were happy to have the turn down service (I agree with another reviewer, the chocolates are miniscule) but on two nights we were there, the sleeper wasn’t pulled out, even after a reminder to housekeeping and acknowledgement it would be done. Maybe that isn’t included? BTW, the sleeper is very uncomfortable. When we asked for a mattress pad, the hotel provided a rollaway bed at no charge -it was much better. A dirty glass was left for over a day before replacing. These are minor but here’s the reason for only 4 circles: One afternoon we came back to find someone else’s hairbrush in our room. Yuck!! Housekeeping was apologetic and I also mentioned this to the front desk and they were also very apologetic. There were a couple of other minor nit-picks - housekeeping seemed a bit scattered during our stay. I hate to mention this because they were so cheerful and friendly and overall the room was very clean.

A note on the shower/amenities: Upon arrival we were provided with one very small bar of soap but that was quickly remedied upon request for another. If The Orchard ever redoes the shower area, I hope they consider moving the valve closer to the door (nothing like getting sprayed with cold water!) and adding more space for toiletries – one small bumpy soap shelf doesn’t cut it for soap, shampoo, conditioner, razor, etc.

Having said all that, given the location, cleanliness, comfort (except sofa bed) and roominess, I would probably stay there again, if the prices stay in the current range (San Fran isn’t cheap). Hence the 4 out of 5 rating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Ongar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed there seven nights following a week in the Wynn at Las Vegas. The tasteful ambiance was a welcome relief from the OTT glitz of the other. It is perfectly situated for exploring the city, with good public transport connections close by. Our room was at the rear and was very quiet, the only noise being an occasional low and heavy 'thrum' through the walls when a cable car passed, this wasn't intrusive though and stopped before midnight. Staff were helpful and friendly and the room was pleasant with very comfortable beds. Would recommend it to anyone staying in San Francisco.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
playa vista
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed here for the first time recently and was beyond pleasantly surprised at everything this hotel offered. Location is great, very close to Union Square, China Town, Financial District. Rooms were large and comfortable, and actually the ones that faced the back were pretty quiet. The bed and pillows were REALLY comfortable, I was surprised. Service was outstanding, and overall I would book this place again when I come up for business. Really enjoyed this hotel. Great Value and Great Quality.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the back not facing the street, you can hear the cable car lines just a bit otherwi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
vdeltoro, Front Office Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience of the Orchard Hotel on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to hear you found our location to be ideal, our rooms large & comfortable and our service to be impeccable. We anticipate your next stay with us when you come out for business!
Tuscaloosa Al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We just returned from a week stay at this property and could not be more pleased. The staff were all courteous and helpful and appeared to enjoy their jobs. The rooms were very comfortable and the bathrooms very modern and spacious. We usually stay in a more $$$$ hotel when we visit San Francisco, but we had family with us on this trip that required two rooms. I think we made an excellent choice with this hotel and will certainly stay here again on my next visit. Also, many great restaurants within walking distance. Our favorites were Le Central, Scalas Bistro, Cafe de la Presse, Claudine and Cafe Claude.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you kindly for sharing your experience of the Orchard Hotel on TripAdvisor! I am so glad you found a hidden gem with us. Next time you visit San Francisco, we would be more than happy to be of service!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The hotel is ideally located for downtown. Very comfortable, clean with friendly and helpful staff. We had a family suite which was pricey but very spacious and had very comfortable beds, apart from the sofa bed for my son. Valet parking was expensive but not out of line with others in the area. We had breakfast in thehotel restaurant by the pool which was excellent and again, the staff here were very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
First and foremost, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of the Orchard Hotel on TripAdvisor! I am glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious, comfortable accommodations & our staff was excellent. While I am very happy to hear you enjoyed breakfast at our restaurant, I must admit I am a bit confused as we do not have a pool on site. Were you maybe referring to our fountain in the lobby? In any case, I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Should you come back to San Francisco again, we graciously open our doors to you!
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed 3 days and had good impression about the hotel and the staff over there. Doormen, receptionists, cleaning ladies,waiters in a restaurant were helpful, friendly and polite. Can't complain about size of the room, had complimentary wifi besides. Maybe tv is probably from 90-х, as somebody noticed in a report below:) but I guess is normal anyway. First room I got , seemed a bit noisy from a cable car but maybe it was just my imagination anyway I asked to change it and receptionist gave me other one which suited me. Breakfast suited me too compared to what I found in restaurants nearby. You can see Bush Street and some buildings around from a window and no need to explain about convenient central location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience on the Orchard Hotel on TripAdvisor! It certainly sounds like you appreciated our courteous staff & breakfast! Whenever you decide to visit San Francisco again, we will most certainly be here for you!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The previous reviews have pretty much summed up the Orchard Hotel. However, After dinner, I had a terrible sore throat and they came through with salt so that I could gargle. Still feeling rough the next morning my husband went to the front desk before room service was available and inquired about getting some tea and honey for me. The front desk immediately came through. The staff made my day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience of the Orchard Hotel on TripAdvisor! I'm glad that our staff was able to accommodate those good ol' "home remedies" while you were not feeling your best. Thank you for your kind words and know that we would be more than happy to be of service should you return to SF!

Been to The Orchard Hotel? Share your experiences!