“Don't book here if you want to be sure to get what you asked for!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of San Francisco International Hostel

Save Saved
You added San Francisco International Hostel to your Saves list
San Francisco International Hostel
140 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (SoMa)   |
Desborough, United Kingdom
“Don't book here if you want to be sure to get what you asked for!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Avoid this hostel, there are other better, friendlier, cleaner and more organised hostels in this town. Me and a friend booked a room more than a month in advance. We made a mistake of booking the wrong date on their on-line webpage and called them immediately to rectify our mistake. We were told that everything was ok and that it wasn't necessary for us or them to verify by e-mail. It was a priority to have a private bathroom so we called several times to make sure we would get that. When we arrived from Europe they seemed to have forgotten that we would come. They could offer us a room without bathroom and seemed to think that they did us a favour of being able to give us a room at all. Also, even though they couldn't offer us the type of room that we "bought" they still won't give us our deposit back. What a waste of money and time!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hostel seems like it is perfect for travelers in their young 20s who don't mind quality of service or convenience. The hostel has a cool vibe, and most of the people who stay there seem fun and social.

However, the staff (and in particular, the owner), made this stay unenjoyable. In fact, the owner barged into my room at 1am (where I was sleeping with my wife), and accused me of bringing someone who was unauthorized to stay in my room. I had to explain to him that both my wife and I were paying customers, and we were assigned the room. After the explanation, he simply shrugged and walked away. There were also a few instances where I literally heard him screaming profanity at his staff in front of guests--not very professional or welcoming.

The hostel does have convenience though. They allow you to store their bags after check out. The location is a bit sketchy, but there's not much the hostel can do about that.

So if you are 22 and are looking for a party spot, this might be it, but after reading other reviews, I would at least look into those places (for the location and the service).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

After hearing such good things about this hostel we thought we'd give it a try after staying at two other horrible hostels in the City (Amsterdam Hostel and Union Square Backpackers Hostel).

Rooms weren't very clean.

Smallest bathroom ever to share between whole floor. My face actually touched the door whilst I was peeing - its that small!!

One mutton on whole floor.

Pancakes were great in morning.

Brilliant location!

• Stayed July 2012
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed here in Jan/Feb 2012. The location is great, central San Francisco, close to shopping centres, buses and everything you need. I met some interesting people while there. I mean for $20 a night, it's pretty alright. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

A friend and I booked a twin-ensuite and were given a quad with ensuite on the third floor. Even at that height the street was a bit noisy (the hostel provide excellent quality earplugs for free) but, aside from the claxon announcing the party was about to start at 2130 every night, that's all we heard. The party area is situated out of sight in the basement so you can go or choose not to, no biggie, though it would be hard to pass up a free drink. The front desk were really friendly and helpful. Shower was pretty good, with consistent hot water. The dining area was nice with free filtered water, hot water, tea, coffee and creamer available all day. Plenty of room in the cupboards and fridges for storage of stuff. One or two of the frying pans were a bit of a challenge to use - some people's creations came out more pancrumble than pancake. Great central location, and the homeless like it too, so you're bound to go home with a story or two about your encounter with the people of the streets.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Just a great, great hostel. Excellent location, very friendly staff and great crowd overall. When I booked it I had no idea it was America's #1 party hostel - which was awesome. Free booze every night! Had a blast playing beer pong. Great value!! And the hostel is huuuge. I would definitely come back (to San Fran and the hostel). Also, free pancake/oatmeal all day long - saves a lot of money if you're on a budget. And $15 valet parking (24h) service!!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

It was only $25 a night for a 4 female dorm, ensuite. Bargain, but you get SO MUCH more than just a room. There was free oatmeal and pancake batter (to make your own pancakes) everyday, so that covers breakfast. Then in the evening they have parties downstairs in the basements with free beer and vodka, beer pong, dance floor/DJ and poker.

If you're a traveller on a budget and like to party, this is the place for you. The location is also, 5mins walk from Westfields shopping center/cable car station. It's perfect for students. The staff are also so lovely. I got tonsillitis and one of the staff members drove me to the hospital and back again. They really do care about their guests, but don't tolerate drunken disrespectful people, which is good :).

So overall, it was the best decision my friend and I made, the beds were fine, things were pretty clean and it was all only $25! Loads of international students stay here so if you're a sociable person, it's easy to meet lots of interesting new people :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to San Francisco International Hostel? Share your experiences!