“Basic hotel in a great location at an affordable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel North Beach

You added Hotel North Beach to your Saves list
Hotel North Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   935 Kearny Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (Formerly St. Paul Hotel) (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #186 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne, Australia
“Basic hotel in a great location at an affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at North Beach, mainly as it is in such a great spot to explore the city. Within walking distance to Union Square, Chinatown, Little Italy and a short bus ride to Fisherman's Wharf and Coit Tower.
The rooms are small but was not an issue for us, it was quite warm without a fan at night.
We stayed on the top floor and had no problem with noise.
Not a big fan of shared bathrooms but were usually clean and free when needed.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Awesome location, walking distance to many places.
Price is very good too.

If those are your two key features you are looking for, then stay here.

However the bathrooms are shared and get manky. The rooms are hot and lack air. The worst thing is the noise. The road outside wakes you up through the single glazed windows all night!

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I felt unsafe in this hotel cause I noticed that someone has been coming in to my room without my knowledge during my stay here. And I never forget to leave the sign (do not disturb sign) hanging on the door knob before I get out of the room. They totally invaded my privacy. I should have talked to the Manager but I did not bother myself doing it. The staff are mean, they don't know how to show respect and offer good customer service. I don't know maybe it's just me, they don't like me to be in their hotel. What can I do, some people don't know how to behave and they're acting like a small child. It is sad but I could not do anything and control the situation. I have tried myself to deal with it cause I don't have a place to stay but I am not successful to control myself all the time. I'm just a human being and not God. Why would I respect you if you didn't respect me. I will treat you the same way you treated me.....

• Stayed May 2013
Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

excellent hotel for the price.small room,but with comfortable bed,chest of drawers,cable tv,closet,sink.fridge,microwave,desk and nightstand.shared shower and bathroom. (separate) never had to wait. all impecably clean. nice friendly staff.lobby w. wifi. i paid 360.00 for 7 nights including tax. great deal unless you want to spend your time in sanfran in a hotel room! otherwise,a great value for anyone on a budget who is satisfied with a no major frills accomodations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I am still currently staying at this hotel while writing this review, hearing all kinds of noises through their old windows: from bus squeking, to people yelling at each other, to friends just talking. Who would call this place quiet? I saw some reviews mentioning that word...
The first stroke I got when I just entered this hotel from the street (I thought the street was smelly..). So, the smell all over the hotel is such as if all the carpets have been peed on from the lobby to the third floor, and I am usually not a princess type of a customer..
All windows in the corridors were open (and it wasn't particularly warm) to get rid of the smell, but I doubt that helps.. The room looked decent (!) until I discovered there is no bathroom in the room, and it is just on the floor. Hmhmhm.. There is no coffee pot in the room, but there is a phone - obviously this hotel is for super busy people who value phone conversations in a smelly room more than a cup of a hot beverage in the morning, or even such a luxury as a bathroom in the room.
There is just one shower cabin for the whole floor of about 30 rooms. I was wondering how long I would have to wait in line. Phew! It was vacant! So happy I was until I discovered the tap in the shower room is hard to be kept at one point. It is so loose so it always slides to either very hot or radically cold. How entertaining.
So, one , no, two things that are outstanding about is free wireless due to which I can revenge for the sleepless night that is ahead of me (both for not being able to breath the air and the noise outside coming though the old windows, and the location, which is North Beach and we could walk everywhere we needed without taking a taxi - no wonder, I would walk a thousand miles away from this place!!!).
After all, I am NOT staying here again. And even though the price is quite good, it is still not worth all this nastiness I have to experience during my vacation in the Bay area.
I am such a fool I was not paying better attention to the reviews!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lahaina, Hawaii , United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Historic ambiance right in the heart of the city. I have to admit I was nervous about " shared Showers" when I first arrived BUT! that quickly changed when I realized the quality and history of this place.
I felt like I was living a movie scene with all the old fixtures and phone booth etc.
the front entrance takes out to one of the most famous post card perfect views of Coit Tower, and many other great architecture.
I have a whole new view of the " shared bathroom" thing - They are cleaned at least 5 times a day, are all modern shower systems, and I felt like I was showering in a 5 star bathroom!!
love it and will continue to stay there on my business trips - FOREVER!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Patrice, Janice, Heidi and staff have made my stay in the Bay Area comfortable over the years that I rarely look elsewhere when in SF. The cost gets you more than what is fair as it is only minutes away by foot from the essentials of the city that concern me, such as the BART/MUNI, great food, friends, and entertainment. Public safety was clearly in place and the neighbors were Francis Ford Coppalla at Zoetrope and his entourage, the industrious people of chinatown, and the world of visitors from across the globe.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Kearny and Columbus gave a great view of the movement of the neighborhood. I saw Ma...