“Keep calm and put the kettle on!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown and Crumpet

Crown and Crumpet
1746 Post St, San Francisco, CA 94109 (SoMa)
(415) 771-4252
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #649 of 4,919 restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sandwiches
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: SoMa
“Keep calm and put the kettle on!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you love anything British this place is it. The way they tap into their tradition and deliver it all in the most curious packages is quite enchanting. Located in a very touristy and tiresome area of San Fran to pop in for a tea and a crumpet is just what the doctor ordered.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
San Francisco, California
“English Tea in Japantown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Crumpet and Crown has made surprisingly good use of the lobby of the New People's Cinema in Japantown and is much better than the nondescript cafe that was there before.The space is bright, clean, and modern. My husband and I actually prefer it to the "fussier" look of the shop they had in Ghiradelli Square. The Afternoon Tea was ample for two people--3 small, tasty sandwiches and a pizza quiche; a scone and a crumpet with curd, clotted cream and jam; 3 small desserts; and a large pot of tea. We're looking forward to more afternoon teas there!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Barrie, Canada
“Great food, odd setting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My daughter and I visited this "tea room" on March 1 - their re-opening day in a new location. Our meal was superb - sandwiches, crumpets, the best scones ever, and small desserts - both squares and mousses. The selection was lovely - egg, ham and cheese, cucumber and herbed cheese, and chicken salad sandwiches, raspberry and orange scones with jelly and Devon cream, as well as lemon squares, mini mousses and small cheesecakes in chocolate cups. The service was good for an opening day - attentive to begin with, then a little slow.
I had seen pictures of the former location on the web, and was very disappointed in the new location. Although the tables were beautifully decorated the restaurant is now located in a very modern, open concept space (high ceiling, too much sunlight, and stark walls) and shares an entry way and elevator access with the entire building. Has little resemblance to and ambience of an English tearoom. In Japantown, and easy to get to.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Urbana, Illinois, United States
“Perfect Girl's Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I actually visited in November 2011, but it's not an option on the review selection.

A few girls friends took me here for a girl's late breakfast/ early lunch. The decor is like a little girl's dream tea party. It would be a great place for a baby shower, bridal shower, mother-daughter brunch or tea time.

We each had an order of tea and a breakfast order. I had the crumpets which were delicious, especially with their lemon butter and jam.

They have a wide selection of teas, some traditional, some whimsical. Be warned, I thought I ordered a Marie Antoinette... and I got a whole tea pot. I was bouncing off the walls for the rest of the day (since I don't normally have caffeine). If I come again with only one other person, I would share a pot.

There's also a cute little shop where you can purchase tea and decorations.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Loved the tea and decor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Crown & Crumpet is a super feminine tea room and gift shop - but my husband humoured me and shared a big six-cup pot of raspberry tea and petit fours with me. The servers are called "trolley dollies" and ours was very attentive and friendly. I just loved the decor of the place! I wish we had one back home. Each table had a different floral table cloth and the saucers have witty sayings on them. Even the menu was quite funny. Speaking of that, their tea selection is quite extensive.

I thought the prices were quite reasonable and comparable to other tea rooms I have been in. The gift shop included handmade items as well as tea and tea accessories.

Our server noted that they will be moving to a new location soon, so I'll be sure to look them up again when in San Francisco.

• Visited May 2012