“Great sashimi good price” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hana Zen Sushi Bar - Pier 39 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #736 of 5,012 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Embarcadero
Transit: Public Transit available
Singapore, Singapore
“Great sashimi good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Figured when at fisherman's wharf, seafood like sashimi must be good and was not disappointed.
Honestly I was apprehensive about entering as the place was empty as the dinner crowd has not come in even though it was past 7pm. Low crowd turnover for eating sashimi would be bad idea! But my Asian son was desperately in need of eating rice! So we were seated right by the windows with the blinds slightly drawn. The scenery is beautiful but the sun was burning on my back. So I tried to move a seat but in the end, ended changing table as the sun was too much for my liking. The waitress attending to me obliged with a smile and was nice about it. My son ordered the kids teriyaki chicken bento and we ordered tempura and also sashimi which was the best ever! The tuna and salmon melted in my mouth and did not have any fishy smell. A must try! There were 12 thick pieces of sashimi.The hostess, a Japanese lady, was friendly and came by to pull the blinds up to let people enjoy the sunset. She also came by to chat with us. I would definitely go back again!

Mortsel, Belgium
“Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

It was time for lunch when we visited Pier 39 and decided to go find a Japanese restaurant, when we stumbled accross Hana Zen at the end of the pier. We suspected that - given its prime location - it would be overpriced and a clear tourist trap, but this was not the case. Nice food, correct prices and a friendly service. And what a view !

ENGLAND
“Lovely Tuna Steak and a fun experience with the Hot Stones”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Came across this by chance as I was wandering around Pier 39 on my first night in San Francisco. Wanted to eat somewhere with a view and and fancied some Tuna which Hana Zen was showing on their boards outside. I didn't realise when I went in that it was a Hot Stones place and wouldn't have known what that was anyway.

Friendly waitress explained everything which is that you get the Tuna (or other steak) raw and then you slice it and cook it yourself on the hot stone they bring for you.

Steak was great and it was a fun experience.

Will go back.

• Visited March 2014
San Francisco, CA
“Best thing about this place is the views of the SF Bay.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Upon entering, my friends and I were greeted by an empty hostess station. We see the staff towards the back socializing with each other and we weren't greeted/seated until we flagged someone down (The restaurant wasn't even busy) (strike one).
Wait staff - pleasant but definitely lacking in quality serving skills (strike two)
Food - best thing out of the dishes we ordered was the Miso soup (which doesnt say much) (strike three).

The saving grace of this place is the great views of the SF Bay. My recommendation, ask for a table by the windows, order a simple appetizer and drinks and savor the views. Save your money for another restaurant with high quality servers and better food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Olathe, Kansas
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Sushi rolls were half the size that we expected. Service was slow and the restaurant was not busy. Good views at the end of pier 39. Just not worth the money.