“A handy eatery that exudes Bistro atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of California Pizza Kitchen

California Pizza Kitchen
53 3rd St, San Francisco, CA 94103-3151 (SoMa)
415-278-0443
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night Food, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: SoMa
Sydney, Australia
“A handy eatery that exudes Bistro atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The main feature of this restaurant is the dry rock walls that are at either end, relected in the large, round, subdued-lighting features. Like a lot of bistros, the kitchen is open to the public view and carries its own ambience a la Francaise. but yopu go to this "kitchen" for its specialties of pizzas (original hand-tossed or crispy thin), extensive salads and pastas or poultry, and Hispanic/Mediterranean-inspired appetizers. It also has take-aways if you'd prefer to eat in the comfort/convenience of your own hotel room. I never made it to the desserts, so generous are their portions. The wine list is extensice but not expensive and the service prompt, friendly and efficient. It's directly opposite the Westin on 3rd Street, close to Market Street, so it's in a pretty handy spot for business and vacation travellers alike.

Visited May 2014

LI, New York
“Good lunch choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Waiter was very upbeat, helpful and pleasant. Wish I could remember his name! Pizzas had good flavors. Salads were prepared well. Seating comfortable and staff attentive.

Visited February 2014
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Amazing salad and pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have always been a fan of CPK in India and this was the first time I went to a CPK establishment in the US. This is a well located restaurant and did have quite a bit of diners. The staff here was great, and listened to our dietary requests. We got the Roasted Veggie Salad and the California Veggie Pizza on thin crust(minus cheese, mushrooms, and olives) but we asked for artichoke topping on the pizza. The thin crust at CPK is very crispy and tastes excellent. The salad was very good too. I like the fact that CPK's website also gives information on what one can eat if they are vegan, lacto-ovo vegetarian, etc. The restaurant has good ambiance and clean restrooms too. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited March 2014
“Nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were exhausted one evening from walking all day so we popped across to this restaurant as it was right opposite our hotel. It was very quiet so we were a bit skeptic about going in.
Our waiter was very friendly and we ordered a pizza and pasta and a bottle of wine with dinner. Both meals were lovely, pizza was big and we were stuffed afterwards. I did have room for some Key Lime pie after which was delicious!!!
Overall very nice food and nice quiet atmosphere which was needed after a long day.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“A delicious meal marred by issues on bill which were unacceptable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

My wife and I arrived in San Francisco after a 10 hour flight from Heathrow courtesy of British Airways at 2pm on Thursday 16th January. Obviously with the time difference and having been through the usual queues at SF Immigration by the time we arrived at this restaurant it was 2-15am in the morning real time, 6-15pm California time. We were greeted and seated and an excellent server Brennan took care of us from our Local Draft Beer to our Pear Gorgonzola Pizza and California Cobb Half Beets. All of which were delightful and full of great flavours. Having consumed an excellent meal we then received our bill. Firstly it appears we have to now pay for San Francisco Healthy surcharge and although it was only 87c this is in my view the problem of the outlet not mine. Then the totally annoying and unacceptable practice of telling me for what they say is my so called convenience putting at the bottom of the bill a gratuity guide from 15% to 20% tip based upon this bill. Firstly I do not welcome being told what and how to pay a gratuity, it is not something I do as a norm my tips are given based upon quality of service and also quality of the meal, I am not ignorant and do not need this type of suggestion on my bill it is in fact offensive to me as an English person that this practice is in place. Maybe I should reverse the tables and say to these people that as I come to the States with dollar currency I should then be free to ask for the relevant charge made by Credit Card companies around 3% to 5% to be taken off my bill!!!!
I feel this is a very good issue to pursue and would like those people at Trip Advisor to note that I will be pushing this agenda wherever I am in the world.
So hopefully the owners of this outlet and others will note that they need to remove this offensive detail from the bill and let us decide what is appropriate both in terms of the server, quality of food and also of course the healthy surcharge which is not my problem.

• Visited January 2014