“Unfortunately, nothing positive about food, service, or decor” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
New King Tin
826 Washington St, San Francisco, CA 94108-1206 (Chinatown)
(415) 982-7855
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,520 of 5,102 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Northern California
“Unfortunately, nothing positive about food, service, or decor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We grabbed a quick lunch here on a Saturday afternoon. Service, while not unfriendly, was very slow despite the restaurant not being very crowded. This restaurant has no decor to speak of, which is not a problem for me, but there was a large uncleaned table right next to us for most of our meal which made for an unpleasant environment.

The meal I ordered, a cocunut-curry prawn dish, was fairly tasteless and I couldn't really taste any cocounut. My wife's pot stickers were a little better. We shared some lychee for dessert which was good but was literally just from a can (as we could see them make it.)

I have eaten at many "local" Chinese restaurants where there is no decor but the food is very good, and I'm fine with that - but with mediocre food, there seems little reason to go.

Visited June 2011

“Fun place in Chinatown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

This was a great lunch. You can order dim sum or a regular meal (or both). The portions are huge for the regular items! We ordered the BBQ pork buns from the Dim sum menu (my favorite - they were so good!) and then a meal each, but we easily could have shared one meal. Overall, the cheapest meal in our entire week long stay in Northern California! Ask for a soda if you don't want the complimentary tea.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Davis, California
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

The place isn't fancy, but the food is fab. I got takeout 2 straight nights. Beef with bell pepper chow fun (which was as good as I've ever had) accompanied by spring roll and fried chicken wing appetizers, both very good. This was actually enough for both dinner plus my next day's lunch. 2nd night I had beef with broccoli plus fried oyster appetizers, both great. All the portions were large & the prices very reasonable.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
California
“Delicious & economical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We were at the restaurant on Sunday just after 11 a.m. for Dim Sum. We had
Gai Lan (Chinese broccoli)-very tender; roast duck (a bit fatty); char siew (BBQ pork) - sweet; spring rolls (crispy), claypot chicken rice (fresh); and tapioca cream (light and smooth). The service was friendly and attentive but got hectic around noon, so we had to remind them of an order. It costs $45 for three and we had left over to take home. The restaurant is located at the T-end of Waverly Place, where you get off the beaten path from Grant the main drag.

• 3 of 5 stars Food