“The Prancing Pony.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Trappe Cafe

La Trappe Cafe
800 Greenwich St, San Francisco, CA 94133-2615 (Russian Hill)
415-440-8727
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Tucson, AZ
“The Prancing Pony.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Go to the basement. Amazing beer and bar food experience. The beer menu is extensive and tasty. Recommend the "Wallovian Hot Dog".

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Shillington, Pennsylvania
“Belgian at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Found this little pub by accident while asking a local for directions. They have hundreds (I swear) of Belgian beers to choose from and some of them on tap! Add to that some great Belgian food to go with the beer and you have an awesome place to stop for dinner!

Visited March 2013
Fulton, Maryland
“Is it a bier bar or a Belgium restaurant?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The answer is, I am not sure. My point of reference is Mannequin Pis in Olney, Maryland, which is consistently rated as one of the best restaurants in the city.,

Because you can't rank various aspects separately, I decided to rank the place as average overall.

I'll start with the great part; the broth from the Spicy Tomato Mussels. It was delicious, and I could have been gloriously happy consuming the broth along with dipping my bread in it all night!! The mussels were cooked perfectly, but I felt the broth overpowered the relatively delicate nature of the mussels.

The not great, but not bad part...
I ate at the bar and asked the bartender for a beer to enjoy while I was waiting for my mussels and one to go with my mussels. The good part, they were both excellent, The bad part was that it took forever to get the first beer from the tap due to being foamy and I was still drinking it when my mussels arrived. The bartender still hadn't decided what I ought to have with the mussels and it took him a while to get it served up. Maybe it was because he had been up since 5:30am, but it was dissapointing. Since I know the mussels have been on the menu for a long time, how could he have not had at least several beers he could have recommended instantaneously. When i went to Monk's Kettle the following night, the bartender there exemplified what a great bartender ought to be like.

The forgetable...
The fries and the dipping sauce. Mannequin Pis sets a very high bar for fries and dipping sauces and here La Trappe's offering was mediocre. I though it might have been my cold, but when I had great fries at the Monk's Kettle the following night, I knew I was right. Unfortunately the fries come with the mussels.

The dipping sauces (flavored mayos) were dull in flavor. The fries were relatively crisp on the outside but inside was somewhat pasty and lacking in a rich potato flavor.

Not having been to Belgium, I not sure what a Belgium bar have in the way fo atmosphere. I can only say that it just felt like a very non-descript place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
California
“Basement beer bar”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Went with a party of six -- three women who were not interested in beer were left with a paltry wine selection, and a waiter whose response was "I only know about the beers." Food was below average, and for an early evening reservation they were out of their Belgian special, the Seafood Waterzooi, and the safer non-mussel choice, Spaghetti Bolognese. The one mussel eater among us was stunned at the enormous portion, but underwhelmed by the preparation. No one enjoyed it very much, as the phone-book sized beer list did not make up for the problems. This is a basement beer bar worth a look. Bring your beer-drinking buddies.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great beer selection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Huge 50 page beer menu with tons of international and local beers to chose from. Staff were knowledgeable without being pretentious.