“This is the best Turkish restaurant I've ever eaten at stateside.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tuba Restaurant

Tuba Restaurant
1007 Guerrero St, San Francisco, CA 94110-2930 (Noe Valley)
415-826-8822
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tuba Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #432 of 5,014 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish, Vegetarian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Noe Valley
Cross street: 22nd
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
“This is the best Turkish restaurant I've ever eaten at stateside.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Cok, cok, cok guzel!! This is the best Turkish restaurant I've ever eaten at stateside.

We started with the cold mezze platter, which was so, so worth it. The hummus, cevizli ezme, and kizartma were all to-die-for, although it was all so, so good. The table polished off every last lettuce leaf garnish on the plate. Phenomenal.

My fiance and I are pescatarians/vegetarians so for our main entree we split the musakka and the somon. Both were melt-in-your-mouth candidates for best meal in a restaurant. The musakka especially was for me, truly exceptional.

The restaurant surely isn't perfect; it's small, for one thing, which meant that our table wasn't ready when we arrived for our reservation at 8:00 pm on Saturday. Still, they let us go across the street and have a beer; when the table became ready they held it for us, which mostly made up for the delay. Mostly.

Although I can resent them for putting off my life-changing experience of tasting that musakka...

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
San Francisco, California
“Great San Francisco neighborhood restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you'd like to get off the beaten path and experience a restaurant that exemplifies the unique culinary and cultural experiences you can have in SF then I recommend Tuba. It's in the Mission neighborhood but not on Valencia Street where lots of tourist go. It's at an intersection that has a couple restaurants & bars, which is very SF (no chain restaurants). They have a couple tables outside & if it's warm enough it's lovely to sit out there. The Turkish food is flavorful and well made. It's unique and interesting and just plain yummy. The owner was super friendly and came out to talk to us. He even remembered us and said hi when we say him the next day out in the neighborhoods. It's easy to get to. Take the bart to 24th & Mission. Head east on 24th. Turn right on Guerrero and walk to 22nd. Tuba is about 3 doors from the intersection.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“Turkish Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

From the second we were greeted this was a culinary experience unmatched by none. We were early for our reservations, no problem we were warmly greeted and promptly seated. Four women, one recovering from recent surgery, and still we were seated at a desirable table. We asked for recommendations and boy were we glad we did, the entire experience was over the top, starting with the wine (a wiine and only produced in Turkey) and ending with mouth watering desserts with Turkish coffee. Our interest and questions regarding their cuisine ignited their enthusiasm to share their culture with us. There is nothing that could have made our experience more enjoyable.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Petaluma, California
“Turkish Restaurant without Doner?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Being a big fan of Turkish cuisine, I was disappointed to find that the menu at Tuba did not offer the delights of Doner Kebab. But of course, this is a more upscale Turkish restaurant located in a less traveled part of the Mission District that would shy away from being associated with the "fast-food" karma of Doners. I was especially impressed with "Cevizli Esme", a purée of roasted red bell peppers, walnuts, tomato paste, garlic and olive oil served with fresh Turkish bread. However, the Adana Kebab fell short of expectations perhaps because the blend of lamb and beef tasted as if they went through a food processor instead of being ground therefore lacking texture to chew on. Nevertheless, the service was friendly and attentive.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York, NY
“What a surprise (in a good way)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My MIL made the reservation and I was already skeptical (especially of the name Tuba). The place was small/cozy. We left at 9 pm and every single table was packed. The waitress was super nice and the owner was also helping out. The only thing missing from the menu was whole fish which I usually get at a Turkish restaurant. The food was really delicious especially the Grilled Lamb Chop and the Grilled Shrimp w/ Asparagus. Dessert was excellent too but I can't remember the name of it (it was not the baklava I know) something like pressed noodles, I think it was at the top of the dessert menu. It was a very solid meal and I would go back again. Also, kid-friendly.

Visited June 2013