“Under new management, here's hoping for change!” 2 of 5 stars

Lombard Plaza Motel
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   2026 Lombard Street, San Francisco, CA 94123 (Marina)   |
Ranked #208 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Washington State
“Under new management, here's hoping for change!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Small room, tiny bathroom with only a shower (but the bathroom is clean and updated, and unless you are really into baths, it's just fine). No security lock on door, no curtains, just blinds, with bright lights right outside the window. It was like trying to sleep in broad daylight! The rooms are all non-smoking rooms, but people just congregate on the balcony (sometimes right outside your door) to smoke. It's right on a very busy street, so it's very noisy at night. Keep the fan on for white noise, if you want to get any sleep!
The first night we were there, it was prom night, and there was a loud, drunken party going on next door. The management did not ask them to leave till after 2 a.m.
On the other hand, management was very responsive to our requests (to fix the shower door closure and the smoke alarm, and to provide extra towels). The sign says that they are under new management, so maybe things will improve. Hope so!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for one night on a short visit to San Fransisco. The price was good for where we were and a big bonus was the free parking with the hotel. Check in was easy and after a problem with our key not working, the receptionist sorted this straight away.

The room was a good size with 2 double beds and what looked like very new bed sheets and pillows. The room offered a good sized shower room and seperate wash basin. There were also coffee making facilities (Normal and Decaf filter coffee).

The location was great as we walked up Lombard Street towards the wonky road and the views from there were lovely then continued on our sight seeing trip.

The chair at the desk was a little bit dated but other than that it was a much better experience than previous reviews had said. I was a bit worried after we booked it and then read the reports!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Pemberton, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Good value for money compared to other options in the area. "James" our host, went out of his way to help, was very friendly and accommodating. He and his family have taken over the management of this establishment recently and have undertaken a program of renovating the rooms. We were fortunate enough to have one of the refurbished rooms - excellent bathroom and very clean too. Ideally located near all the attractions of Fisherman's wharf.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms, although they should all be renovated in the near future.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

First of all, the room smelled like smoke (and it was supposed to be a non-smoking room). There were burn marks on the comforter and the blanket. I killed a roach that was crawling on the wall in room #21. The chairs were disgustingly filthy and dirty, I didn't dare put my things on them. I had to put my things only on the counters after wiping them down. The people in the "office" (if you can even call it that) didn't really seem surprised nor did they care to move me to a different room. Forget about asking for a refund. So it was either sleep there feeling itchy or sleep in the car, which was not the best weather to try that. I will NEVER sleep at this motel ever again and hope that they either do improvements or go out of business so no one else has to go through what I went through while I was there.

A last minute booking didn't leave me with many options and since I didn't have a lot of money I figured I was getting a deal in booking this room. What a mistake that was. I wish I had read the reviews on here first BEFORE making that mistake again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Santa Ana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

My mother and I decided to stay at this motel since we needed a place to crash while running around the city for a weekend. Considering the price and location- it was excellent! Chestnut St and several restaurants are right around the corner. The 30 Stockton, and the 22 Fillmore buses stop just a block away, so we could go to our favorite haunts in town. And the price of the room didn't break our SF budget.
When I booked the room, I did not expect much considering that it was a small motel on Lombard- "motel row". All we wanted was a bed, clean room, tv and refrigerator. And this place definitely met our needs.
I travel a lot for work, and spend more time in hotels than I do at home. But this is probably one of the better low-budget motels I have stayed at. At the time we stayed, they were renovating the rooms (not so we noticed it though). It seems like the new owners/managers have taken consideration to previous complaints and are working hard at improving the rooms. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I heard that when the ground floor rooms are finished, they will have hardwood floors which will be...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Queenstown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is THE WORST motel I have EVER stayed at.

Travelling is a part of my job, and on this particular trip, I'd been on the road for almost 5 months, mainly in Peru and Ecuador - often in very cheap and basic accommodations. Of all the places I've stayed, I repeat - this is simply the worst. Please, I'm begging you for your own health and safety and well-being, DO NOT STAY at the Lombard Plaza Motel!

Staff were smoking in the rooms as they "cleaned", left sheets lying on the concrete before cleaning them, and at one stage even threw broken chairs from the 2nd floor to the ground level - where they shattered, one piece hitting me while I was taking something out of our parked car.

I feel embarrassed for making such a rookie mistake as to stay at this hotel. As a last minute decision, we booked via booking.com, and didn't take the time to read any of the earlier reviews on Trip Advisor. Big mistake...

The room was advertised as having a fridge and microwave, neither of which were present. WIFI reception was poor at best, and I often had to leave our room and walk closer to the reception to get any coverage at all.

One of the staff came into our room, without knocking, for absolutely no reason, on the day of our arrival. We felt intruded upon, and no apology was given.

The old lady on reception was unhelpful and rude. Her son, Moses, who later armed the front desk was more helpful for general requests.

Sheets on our bed had cigarette burns. The carpet under our bed looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it was put down. There was a dirty beer cup and a dirty nappy under our bed, which I only noticed at check-out when I was checking to see if we'd left any of our stuff under the bed. *SHUDDER*

Worst of all - we found out too late that our bed was infected with bed bugs, and we both received multiple bites, as well as a serious rash, perhaps from some bizarre chemicals or possibly a reaction to too many bed bug bites. Now, just over two weeks later from our unfortunate stay at the Lombard Plaza Motel, the swelling, bites and rash are slowly subsiding, but it has been an incredibly uncomfortable and agonising week of unnecessary pain. In case you're wondering, we stayed in room #28. Avoid at all costs this room (and the entire property!).

I spoke with reception to complain about these issues, and while apologetic, all they did was give me the name of the manager to contact later, as she was out at the time. Now that I've returned home, I contacted the office last week to speak with Siguid, the named manager, and apparently she's on holiday until Nov, and in the mean time no one else seems to have the authority to deal with my complaint.

So, for now, I'll be contacting whatever San Francisco authorities I can, to put this motel under investigation, or at least to force it to clean up its act. No one should be subjected to any one of the above-mentioned complaints, let alone all of them!

On the plus side, the motel is in a handy location, and Mel's Diner just one block away does an awesome breakfast.

Please, do not stay here!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked it online on short notice the afternoon we headed for San Francisco. It looked ok online (didn't check here though) and price seemed right for SF. Overall basic motel with some shall we say 'interesting' looking people staying here. Room basic, bath seemed renovated and clean. All we wanted was a place for a night and it seemed right. Unfortunately when I woke up the next morning I had about 20 bed bug bites to show. My friend in the other bed was ok, it hit just me. So I guess it's hit and miss... but the low price for SF was what got us here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lombard Plaza Motel? Share your experiences!