“Great location” 3 of 5 stars

411 O'Farrell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Don't be put off by reviews that slate the location- it is actually right across the street from the Hilton and really close to Union Square. We had a private room which was pretty basic, but clean. There was some noise from the street, but considering the price and location I would recommend this hostel for anyone that's on a bit of a budget.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We shared a private room with bath. The room was small and the street a bit noisy. The included breakfast was very basic but waffle makings were provided. The shared kitchen area was a bit dark and depressing. The location can't be beat, the staff friendly and helpful, and the hostel atmosphere encourages camaraderie amongst the guests. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: The street side rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Location was SUPERB. We could walk over to the Powell tram stop where you could see the tram turn around and there is lots of shopping and a below-ground visitor centre nearby. It took like 10 minutes for us to walk over. Room was clean but sparse - two single beds, a small writing table and a chair, and a TV hanging over a chest of drawers. Bathroom, including the shower area, was tiny and there were not many spots where you could hang or place your toiletries and clothes - you have to hang your stuff right next to the toilet bowl. But I was still quite happy with Orange Village cos of the fabulous location. The kitchen has a lot of cutlery and breakfast was a simple daily offering of cereal, waffles and hot coffee, but you can check out BK near the Powell tram stop. The laundromart is on the same floor as the kitchen so we popped in our dirty clothes and went to have breakfast. Kitchen is small so there aren't many seats. There is a small lounge on the same floor which I did not check out. You have to sign for the use of hairdryers. There were I think 3 PCs in the lobby. I felt safe as you need to buzz a staff member to let you in. They also offer special airport limo rates, I cannot remember which limo service provider, but the rates are good. There have been comments about the noise but I did not have trouble falling asleep, even though my room was really very near the lift.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This Hostel is located a few streets away from the BART and MUNI station. For the price I paid, I believe that it is fair to give this place 5 stars. The rooms had hardwood floors, power outlets and the shower had running hot water. BRING EARPLUGS! This hostel is located in the busiest and loudest areas of the city. One night, I woke up around 3AM to the sound of taxi drivers getting into a fight, and fist fight. The second night there was a bad accident that woke everyone (Without earplugs) up.

The elevators are old school but I loved it. Breakfast was great, I loved their waffles. Overall everything was clean and best of all i did NOT experience a foul odor smell. Wifi was fast at all times.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed at Orange Village with the knowledge that it was quite quiet so I was not surprised when there was not much going on. The rooms were comfortable and they accommodated us nicely with a pull out bed for an extra person. The front desk staff are a bit unfriendly and unhelpful and the breakfast and things wasn't too exciting but it was quiet and convenient. The location, on the other hand, was really good - so close to Union Square and all sorts of public transport!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The dirtiest hostel I've ever stayed in.
Seems like nothing have been cleaned in months, the walls were full of stains, the bathroom was simply disgusting. I complained about it and nothing was done.
One night a homeless got in the bed next to mine, no need to add anything else, I guess.
With few bucks more, you can stay in much better places!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Upon arriving, I found out I would have to pay a fifty dollar deposit for my stay since I was paying cash. Nothing was stated on the website nor was I given this information when I called the previous night and told the receptionist who asked for my card I would be paying cash. I requested to speak with management and was refused. I have stayed at many hostels across Europe and the US abd my advice would be to find a more suitable place. No hostel is worth a fifty dollar key deposit and this one ertainly is no exception.

• Stayed March 2014

Been to Orange Village Hostel? Share your experiences!