“Value for money given superb location” 3 of 5 stars

You added Orange Village Hostel to your Saves list
Orange Village Hostel
411 O'Farrell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Singapore, Singapore
“Value for money given superb location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Location was SUPERB. We could walk over to the Powell tram stop where you could see the tram turn around and there is lots of shopping and a below-ground visitor centre nearby. It took like 10 minutes for us to walk over. Room was clean but sparse - two single beds, a small writing table and a chair, and a TV hanging over a chest of drawers. Bathroom, including the shower area, was tiny and there were not many spots where you could hang or place your toiletries and clothes - you have to hang your stuff right next to the toilet bowl. But I was still quite happy with Orange Village cos of the fabulous location. The kitchen has a lot of cutlery and breakfast was a simple daily offering of cereal, waffles and hot coffee, but you can check out BK near the Powell tram stop. The laundromart is on the same floor as the kitchen so we popped in our dirty clothes and went to have breakfast. Kitchen is small so there aren't many seats. There is a small lounge on the same floor which I did not check out. You have to sign for the use of hairdryers. There were I think 3 PCs in the lobby. I felt safe as you need to buzz a staff member to let you in. They also offer special airport limo rates, I cannot remember which limo service provider, but the rates are good. There have been comments about the noise but I did not have trouble falling asleep, even though my room was really very near the lift.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This Hostel is located a few streets away from the BART and MUNI station. For the price I paid, I believe that it is fair to give this place 5 stars. The rooms had hardwood floors, power outlets and the shower had running hot water. BRING EARPLUGS! This hostel is located in the busiest and loudest areas of the city. One night, I woke up around 3AM to the sound of taxi drivers getting into a fight, and fist fight. The second night there was a bad accident that woke everyone (Without earplugs) up.

The elevators are old school but I loved it. Breakfast was great, I loved their waffles. Overall everything was clean and best of all i did NOT experience a foul odor smell. Wifi was fast at all times.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed at Orange Village with the knowledge that it was quite quiet so I was not surprised when there was not much going on. The rooms were comfortable and they accommodated us nicely with a pull out bed for an extra person. The front desk staff are a bit unfriendly and unhelpful and the breakfast and things wasn't too exciting but it was quiet and convenient. The location, on the other hand, was really good - so close to Union Square and all sorts of public transport!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The dirtiest hostel I've ever stayed in.
Seems like nothing have been cleaned in months, the walls were full of stains, the bathroom was simply disgusting. I complained about it and nothing was done.
One night a homeless got in the bed next to mine, no need to add anything else, I guess.
With few bucks more, you can stay in much better places!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Upon arriving, I found out I would have to pay a fifty dollar deposit for my stay since I was paying cash. Nothing was stated on the website nor was I given this information when I called the previous night and told the receptionist who asked for my card I would be paying cash. I requested to speak with management and was refused. I have stayed at many hostels across Europe and the US abd my advice would be to find a more suitable place. No hostel is worth a fifty dollar key deposit and this one ertainly is no exception.

• Stayed March 2014
Busan, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hostel is very cold. I booked domitory for 4 person.
Hostel room is too drafty. Outside noise is not blocked.
I protested to counter administrator, but he repeated the word heater that works,
He is very unkind and rude.
The wind comes into the room so badly. You do not have the difference to sleep outside.

"There is no need to Alcatraz tour in San Francisco If you book Orange village hostel "
You will be able to experience the equivalent of a prison tour dirty very cold, in a poor environment.

Counter boy said, there is a problem to us about " cold room ".
But other people said, " Our room is warm. maybe your room seems not cut off drafy"

So,We requested to counter and changed the same type room another floor.
Changed room is much better warm and much less windy.

We were able to have experienced three days of hell.
The day is the last remaining, it was possible to much less cold.

Please do not reserve absolutely the hostel. I want to advise you to book a hostel near other better yet.

It is true that I contemplated hostel's bad facillity.
But
At least, nothing is to be the environment, such as a person can spend basically.

Cold, Dirty, Unkindness

It is terrible hostel. Please don't book!!!

Room Tip: Please do not book domitory room. If you must book this hostel, 2 person room much better domotory...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

3 of us stayed here for 3 nights traveling from Aus. We arrived at night and there is abit of scum around the streets but all they do is ask for money and when you decline or ignore you don't have to worry about much. Needless to say the location isn't the best but in that area all you need to do is walk a block off one of the main streets (Market) and you find scum. Location to shops, food, tour places and convient stores isnt bad. You can get rooms with private bathrooms or camp up in a dorm and share one in the hallway. Wifi is good and service at counter isn't excellent but not poor, the job gets done. Once you get back through to the doors off the street you feel abit safer off the street. We did go out and stumble around the streets walking home ect but if you keep to your self I highly doubt u will get attacked, more of money smoke asking scum more than attacking scum. There are always people at the door 24/7 to unlock it for you and keep the scum out. Over all it's not bad and it's cheap. Get some sleep and have a shower ect and go venture out during the day.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Orange Village Hostel? Share your experiences!