“Good Food, Excellent Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Frances

Frances
3870 17th St, San Francisco, CA 94114-2030 (The Castro)
415-621-3870
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Frances is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 5,102 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cross street: between Noe and Sanchez
Transit: 24, 33, 35, 37, F, K, M, and L
Description: very popular new American in SF
San Francisco, California
“Good Food, Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I've been here a few times. The food has been consistently good each time and on one occasion, it was excellent. The service has been superlative everytime. There are a couple of things to note - the portions tend to be smaller, which is great for individualized dining but don't plan to share (more than a bite). Its really hard to get a reservation that is at a reasonable time - I ended up with the early bird special or the night owl. On the flip side, they are very considerate if you want to have a leisurely dinner

Visited June 2014

New York City, New York
“Amazing Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Go here for an amazing dinner! I loved my Little Gem Salad (I never order salads). My husband loved his bavette steak. The wine, appetizers, sides (green beans!), entrees, and dessert (bread pudding!) - all amazing!

The cocktails weren't really our style. We like bitters and citrus adds. They offered herbal, fruity, sweet concoctions.

Favorite restaurant of our entire CA trip!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Loved it!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband, son, and I had dinner at this restaurant last night and it was absolutely phenomenal! The calamari, the salmon, the quail, the bread, the wine. . . everything was so delicious! This is a small restaurant that probably serves less than 50 people. The service was great. This restaurant appears to be quite popular and I had to make reservations several weeks in advance. I highly recommend this restaurant!!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Lauderdale
“Frances - if you can get in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I ate here several years ago when the place first opened. I had no reservations and asked if I could sit at the bar and order appetizers. They agreed and sat me right away. The food was pretty good and if you sit at the right location at the bar, you can see Chef Melissa Perello at work. The bar tender was great but I detected a bit of an attitude with the wait staff.

Move ahead a few years and I tried in vain to get reservations my next few trips to San Francisco. Frances not only survived the first year but has has thrived and reservations are becoming a little like the French Laundry - three months out. I had pretty much given up on returning there until this trip when I decided to try the original method - sit at the bar.

I was in line when the place opened and explained I had no reservations but would like to sit at the bar. Apparently, that's pretty common these days because when I sat down at the bar this time, everything was prepared for an evening meal with all the place settings. Again the bar tender was extremely nice and I didn't notice any attitude among the wait staff - just efficiency.

I again stuck with appetizers and had the white corn soup with creme fraiche, tomatoes and basil. It was probably the best soup I've ever had. The other dish I had was the beet salad. It was pretty good but nothing could beat the soup (no pun intended).

This is a very small restaurant, so you will need reservations through Open Table if you have a party of people but if you don't mind sitting at the bar, this is an excellent way to go.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“A few reasons why you should eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is our first trip to SF and we tried Frances based on the some online research - not just TA - and it was as we anticipated. The restaurant is located in the neighbourhood of Castro. The restaurant is small with about a dozen tables and as such it has limited space but that didn't seem to matter because we didn't feel cramped during dinner. My wife noticed the decor is simple-stylish and works well in the space. Service was exceptional. Here is our review of the food: the bacon beignets were so good we finished the first order and requested a second and probably cold have eaten a third order. For our entrees my wife ordered a vegetable casserole which she completely enjoyed and I had the chicken stuffed quail which was my first time eating quail and I thought was quite good. For our dessert we had the pavlova which was a winner in our books because it was crispy outside, soft inside and came with a really tasty fresh fruit sauce - a great, light end to a lovely dinner. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone. We stayed at a hotel in Nob Hill and it was a $30 cab ride return and worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere