“WORTH THE WAIT” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Frances

Frances
3870 17th St, San Francisco, CA 94114-2030 (Mission)
415-621-3870
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Frances is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 5,014 Restaurants in San Francisco
Description: very popular new American in SF
Oakland, California
“WORTH THE WAIT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have been hearing about Frances for the last couple of years but every time I tried to make a reservation Samanthas words were friendly but always the same... "we are booked but I will put you on the waiting list'
I finally decided to take my chances and show up for the walk in counter seating..
Thank Goodness I finally did. Patrick the Host was so accomodating, welcoming, friendly and professional.
We were a party of four on the final night of the World Series and the restaurant was packed. We were seated within 15 minutes.
From the first glass of Cava to the final bite of Lumberjack Cake....... OMG delicious.
What a beautiful menu. The presentation of the Fennel and Celery soup was as beautiful as was scrumptios... Red Snapper... melt in your mouth.... Bean Cassoulet delectable!
All topped off with extrodinary service from Costa and Mohammed.... Effkaristo Costa! Can't wait to come back. Hopefully to meet the extraordinary chef!
Sandie
Concierge
CHS

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Austin
“Good food and service - I'd recommend it to a friend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I thought the food was good and the service was good too. Not much to complain about here. We started with the grilled calamari which I thought was fresh and tasty. I had the steak which was cooked just right and really enjoyed the eggplant puree. I can't remember what my friend had but he also enjoyed the meal. They are also helpful when it comes to picking out wine (which be prepared to spend a little extra money on the wine if you choose to get a bottle). I thought all the bottles were a bit expensive however they will let you taste it first (and a few tastings) if they have it by the glass. I don't think I could afford to come here often but it was an fun place to visit!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Amazing food, service and wine. I absolutely thought this was a fabulous little gem tucked into a very nondescript place. One might think since it's "higher end" it would be stuck up but we had perfectly wonderful service. We were never rushed and our food was cooked perfectly. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone.

Winter Park, Florida
“Cozy neighborhood restaurant with a creative and talented chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife had read a complimentary article about Frances in a food magazine and it lived up to our expectations. I could almost consider becoming a vegetarian if I could eat meatless meals as good as the vegetable cassoulet. I tasted my wife's chicken dish and it too was excellent. The house wines, both red and white were very good.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Germany
“Can't say enough (good) about this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Service, food amazing. Worth going out of your way for. Probably on of the best restaurants I have eaten at. Reservations needed which we didn't have so we ate at the bar.

• Visited September 2012