“The coconut shrimp with apples=better than having a piece of chocolate!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fang

Fang
660 Howard St, Fl 1, San Francisco, CA 94105-3951 (SoMa)
+1 415-777-8568
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fang is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #383 of 5,102 Restaurants in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: 3rd Street and New Montgomery
Description: Fang is the sister restaurant of wildly popular restaurant, House of Nanking. Fang embodies both modern and authentic Chinese cuisines in a fine dining setting serving traditional Chinese fare, dim sum, as well as "off the menu" innovative dishes for the adventurous. Chef Peter Fang believes that good-tasting food is universal and should not be bound by how dishes were made in the past. With Chef Peter’s trademark inventiveness and eye for quality, the menu evolves and changes based on seasonally fresh ingredients from the same local Chinatown markets Peter has visited for decades. For fresh seasonal Chinese food in an elegant and modern setting, visit Fang.
WI
“The coconut shrimp with apples=better than having a piece of chocolate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Party of 6 multigenerational and my 10 year old grandson says at the end of the meal, "From now on when we come into the city we are eating at Fang's!" We also experienced "the put down the menus and let me serve you a meal for the family" from Peter Fang. Wow what an experience from the pumpkin soup to the coconut shrimp I experienced a slice of food heaven. Ribs in a "manly size", fish and spinach, sesame chicken with sweet potatoes, coconut shrimp with apples, and several attentive servers. Peter came around several times to make sure everything was going well and the staff never let our water glasses go dry. $20 each plus drinks. We will be back.

• Visited May 2013
Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad to know you and your family had such a great meal! It's our goal to offer all our guests "a slice of food heaven." I'll be sure to let Peter and the rest of the team know you appreciated their wonderful service. Looking forward to your next visit!

Los Angeles, California
“My favorite restaurant on the planet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Don't bother to pick up the menu. Just tell the owner you are hungry and get ready for the ride. The owner controls the kitchen staff and waiters with the skill, precision, and intensity of a veteran quarterback. You will be happy with anything that the owner brings to your table but I suggest dropping some less than subtle hints that you want the Sesame chicken added to the rotation. Make sure that you wash everything down with the Lotus Flower tea which is as beautiful to watch as it is tasty to drink. This is by far the best restaurant in San Francisco and in my opinion the entire world.

• Visited December 2012
Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Wow, your favorite restaurant on the planet! Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm honored to know you had such a wonderful experience. By creating special custom dishes off the menu, we strive to make all our guests as happy as you. The next time you're in San Francisco, be sure to stop by and say hello so I can thank you in person.

Best wishes,
Texas
“Don't pick up the menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Second trip here this week during a convention and both meals were amazing. The waiter will ask if you have any food allergies or restrictions and then food just starts arriving. Make sure you ask for the crispy beef with bok choy.

Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I'm delighted to hear that both times you dined with us, you enjoyed a special and memorable meal. That's the goal! Hope to see you again the next time you're in San Francisco!

Washington, DC
“Don't Go to Chinatown, Go to Fang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I just returned from San Francisco and actually ate at Fang twice during my stay -- once with colleagues and once with my husband. I truly enjoyed the food, which I why I went back the second time. We were with a large party and asked Kathy to order for us. She asked if there were any dietary restrictions and beyond that, it was all in her hands. The food was amazing! Asparagus salad, snow pea shoots, mushrooms with barley, beef buns, white fish, just to name a few. It was light and extremely flavorful! It's Chinese food with a twist --- highly recommend. If you can go with a group, even better. That way you can try more dishes.

We did eat dinner in Chinatown the last day of our stay. Don't waste your time -- Fang has much better food in a nicer atmosphere.

Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I appreciate you visiting us twice during your stay, and I'm delighted to know you enjoyed a wonderful meal each time. It was my pleasure creating unique dishes for you off the menu. As you mentioned, I try to put a fun, creative twist on classic Chinese cuisine.

How was your trip to San Francisco? I hope you had a wonderful time, and I look forward to your next visit.

Kitchener, Canada
“Yummy food, very nicely prepared”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This wasn't traditional Chinese food, but it wasn't the Americanized stuff you find in buffet restaurants either, it was a wonderful fushion or updating of traditional food.

Ribs came in full long ribs, not in chunks with little bits of bone. The bao buns were open like a hot dog bun, with a lovely filling. The white fish was extremely well done, melted in our mouths.

There was water left on the table for us to refill our cups, but it was in an odd vessel that looked more like a vase than a pitcher, and seemed cheap compared to the rest of the experience.

The wall of wine is a very impressive sight!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Kathleen,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed our unique approach to Chinese cuisine. We try to elevate traditional Chinese dishes by using creative cooking techniques and unexpected ingredients. I hope you get a chance to dine with us again soon!

Best wishes,