“Interesting for adults, too dry for most kids” 3 of 5 stars

Visit Walt Disney Family Museum like an insider
Special Offer
$17*
and up
The Walt Disney Family Museum Admission in San...
Ranked #13 of 719 things to do in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
8 attraction reviews
“Interesting for adults, too dry for most kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I recently visited this museum with my parents (who are seniors) and our two children (who are teenagers). It is a new museum in the beautifully restored Presidio. My father, husband and I enjoyed the exhibits and learning about Walt Disney's life. My mother and children became bored pretty quickly and wanted to leave half way through the exhibit. Although it is a new museum, the displays are set up in a very old-fashioned way with lots of text and things on the walls in glass cases. I think that the museum would be more appealing if there were areas that were more interactive. If I were designing this museum, I would put in areas for people to do interactive things that relate to Disney's life. I love to go to museums (and bring my children along) and they love when there are computers with games and simulations, areas to dress up, art stations, miniatures to manipulate, etc. The museum does show a Disney movie, but who wants to sit for an hour and a half? I think it would be better to show some of Disney's shorts (such as The Silly Symphonies or his Alice movies or even things from his Sunday evening shows or The Mickey Mouse Club) interspersed throughout to give people a break than to show one movie in the theater. We visit SF often and have done pretty much all of the other touristy things, so this was a nice change, but I doubt that we will go back.

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Ramona, California
16 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Exhibits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

As a fan of all Disney, I was super excited to visit the Disney Family Museum. In addition to the expected Disneyland and Mickey Mouse type of exhibits, you get a full history of the Disney family. Family photos and memorabilia really tell the story of their lives. There was also a special exhibit of Tyrus Wong art and kites. The Presidio (where the museum is located) is a very beautiful area and you have a nice view of the Golden Gate Bridge from here. If you are using public transit, the bus drops you off quite a bit away, so plan to do some walking or get a taxi to take you to the door. Plan to spend 3-4 hours browsing the multitude of pictures, videos, interactive exhibits, artifacts, etc.

Visited August 2013
Rhode Island
“Wonderful trip for animation and Disney fans.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The museum is a great tip for any one interested in Disney or animation. Seeing original cells from some of the greatest animated films of all time was wonderful. The museum is not geared towards children so I would not suggest it for anyone under 10.

Visited July 2013
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Walt Disney Family Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This I found by accident in a brochure and although it is very difficult to get to and from it is well worth a look. I found it fascinating from the beginning of his career to the building of Disneyland. Very very interesting.

Visited November 2012
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Walt Disney family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This I found on a brochure and it is difficult to get to and from but it is well worth seeing. It follows the history of Walt Disney and how he started right through to building Disneyland. Very very interesting.

Visited November 2012