“Awesome value for very nice food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,111 of 5,012 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Burmese, Delicatessen
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
“Awesome value for very nice food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice little family-run restaurant, great for exploring new tastes in the Indian/thai-ish cuisine at an impressing value (most dishes are well under 10 dollars)
Greatly recommended! Reaaaly tasty

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Porto Alegre, RS
“awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The service isn't the best, but the food is soooooo delicious!!! You should try the Tea Leaf Salad and Fish with Tamarind Sauce! It's perfect!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
USA
“Great and Unique Food at a Great Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Whenever I go to the Asian Art Museum, Burmese Kitchen is a must for lunch. Everything I've tried is delicious. I especially liked the Pumpkin Stew and the Burmese Falafel--they are quite crunchy, but very good. Give it a try the next time you are in the neighborhood. The lunch combos are a great place to start.

Visited February 2013
San Francisco
“A local's fave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

If I were to describe Burmese food to the uninitiated, I would say it's a melding of Indian and Thai food—its cuisine utilizes many of the same ingredients you'd find in Thai cuisine, with the added bonus of masalas and curries.

My dining companion and I wanted to try the tea leaf salad to see how it measured up to Burma Superstar, the end-all be-all of Burmese food in SF. But we were intrigued by the tamarind leaf salad and decided to order it instead. While we were expecting a certain characteristic tanginess associated with tamarind, the predominant flavors were sesame and dried shrimp, both of which lent a delightful chewy texture to the overall dish. We were not disappointed in the least, and I will definitely order this dish again and again, because I do plan to make this a regular destination.

Our next dish was samusa soup, a yellow curry-based broth with bits of falafel-like patties, chickpeas, shredded cabbage, and pieces of broken-up samosas. This is the perfect one-dish meal for one: hearty, satisfying, and full of complex flavors and textures.

Following our delectable soup was an entree simply described as shrimp and sour leaf. We asked the owner what this latter ingredient was, but apparently there is no name for it in the English language. Our dish came with a dozen medium-sized peeled shrimp in a tangy tomato-y sauce with a hint of saffron, and served with bamboo shoots. We ordered a side of coconut rice to sop up the rich, zesty sauce.

Unbelievably, we were able to squeeze in a semolina cake for dessert, a tasty square of semolina grain cooked with coconut. It had an interesting grainy texture without being dry.

I often bemoan the huge portions and offerings in most US restaurants. I'd much prefer to pay a few dollars less and receive smaller portions, which leaves me the option to order another dish and sample something else if I'm still hungry. Burmese Kitchen is such a place, and their plates are more in line with the portion sizes you'd find on the southeast Asian mainland.

In a word? Delicious!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“First time ever I had Burmese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I never heard about a Burmese kitchen and I was really curious about it when I read about this restaurant. I went there with my mother, who happens to be vegetarian.

I enjoyed a lot both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Higly recommended.

Visited January 2013