“Good steaks” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Harris' Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 5,012 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cross street: Pacific
UK
“Good steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Good restaurant recommended by out hotel did not disappoint. We were on holiday so not limited out with fine dining clothes but smart casual was fine, very nice table, waitress knew menu and wine list. Steak were cooked exactly to our individual likings. Wine a touch pricey but otherwise a great evening.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Gold Hill, Oregon
“Excellent Dining Experience... but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

First-timers at Harris', my wife and I had heard about this institution from many people. We started with appetizers of sublime veal sweetbreads and steak tartare that was luscious and generously proportioned. I chose the bone-in New York (the "Harris Steak") while my wife had steak Diane. My steak was prepared precisely to my request (black & blue with some char). However here's the "but" part: I simply don't believe it was truly dry-aged beef, or at least it was not aged 28+ days. The flavor of the meat simply wasn't what I've had at places like Peter Luger in NYC. I would gladly go back for another try, but next time I might ask to see the steak as cut, with the rind still in place as done at Luger's. My wife's steak Diane was fabulous, with a rich, but not cloying, shallot sauce that was perfectly proportioned, i.e. the meat wasn't swimming in sauce. We finished with three house-made sorbets that were nicely tart. The wine list is, i suppose predictably, heavy on California varietals, but we found a mid-range Bordeaux that provided good accompaniment. Our waiter was professional to a fault and the support staff kept the water full and the crumbs at bay while never hovering. Finally, as others have mentioned, the price point is excellent for dining at this level. I'm looking forward to giving Harris' another shot.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Excellent restaurant at an excellent price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Old world restaurant reminded me of Commanders Palace in New Orleans and Brennan's in Houston but specializing in steak. Doing a good business for a Thursday evening, every table was taken. Steaks were to perfection we even took pictures of our dinner. :) afterwards we hung out at the bar and listened to the jazz band. Service was attentive, nice place to celebrate and make memories.

• Visited December 2012
san francisco, california
“Meat Lovers Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I visited this established restaurant for the first time upon recommendations of foodie friends. Typically, we don't visit steakhouses because meat of course the major focus. Surprisingly, the products are quite good. It is apparent the restaurant uses quality ingredients from the start. The waitstaff is cordial, friendly, informative, and not obtrusive. I had the king cut prime rib, a whopping 28 to 30 ounces of beef with the bone in, literally 2 inches thick and the size of the serving plate. I was only able to consume a third of it and the beef is well aged and seasoned, and prepared well. This order of prime rib can easily feed two people along with the inclusive baked potato. Save room for dessert, the recommended chocolate bomb of a peanut butter mousse with chocolate covered sauce was extremely delicious.

In summary, this is a fun and quiet restaurant with the "Mad Men" theme, traditional large cocktails with even larger food portions, but all quite good. So if one is having a meat attack craving, look no further.

• Visited May 2013
San Francisco, California
“Great dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

An established classic steakhouse in San Francisco. Great dinner. I had the New York Steak and a Lobster Bisque before that. Manhattan wasn't quite the way I usually have it but was still good. Service was very attentive. I would go back in the future.

• Visited February 2013