“My favorite San Francisco restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harris' Steakhouse

Harris' Steakhouse
2100 Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA (Nob Hill)
415 673 1888
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Harris' Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 4,523 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Pacific
San Francisco, California, United States
“My favorite San Francisco restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

There are lots of choices, but this one stands out. It has the ambience of a calm, classy, traditional palm and dark wood steakhouse, elegant but friendly. Good for a festive night or just good conversation with friends. Try to get a leather booth if you have four or more.

The steaks are excellent. My choice is the "Harris Steak," but they are all good. Harris' is unusual, in that two side dishes are included for one price (I hate adding $8 for a side dish at most steak houses!). Try the baked potato, or au gratin, and the creamed spinach. Yummm.

I also like a side of carmelized onions. That cost a bit extra.

For salads, I think the Caesar salad here is my favorite of any place in the USA! You can get a smaller sized Caesar, and it is still plenty.

Service is top notch, friendly, professional and very well-trained staff. Low turnover of waitstaff tells you this is a quality place, and Michael the GM is one of the best ever of any restaurant.
In summary, this is a favorite choice in SF, and you must go there. If you don't like steak, the salmon is delicious too.

Portola Valley, California
“Melt in your mouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I don't go to San Francisco often, but when I do, I love to eat at this restaurant. If you are a meat lover, you can't get a better cut of meat anywhere else. The dining room ambiance is very comfy, the service is great and the appetizers, salads and food are wonderful. If you don't want meat, they do have chicken and fish. I would like to commend our busboy, Huy, that has been at this restaurant for 29 years. He has a great personality, great service and a good sense of humor. The other busboys could learn a lot from him.
So, when in San Francisco, check out this restaurant.

NYC
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband, the meat and potatoes king declared this the Best Porterhouse He Has Ever Eaten. The service was great, the scalloped potatoes were perfect, the crab cocktail superb. Good service, beautiful atmosphere but not stuffy or pretentious. We really enjoyed our meal.

Cypress, Texas
“Atmosphere and service were a 10, steak was just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I visited Harris' with my husband and some friends the other night. We were very impressed with the decor and service. The place has an "Old San Francisco" feel to it- very elegant and understated. We wore nice jeans with blouses and Oxfords and fit right in. The tables were not cramped and the noise level was not high. Our server was amazing. She was very helpful and friendly. The only downside to our visit was the steak. Everyone at our table of four had a different cut and we all agreed that while it was ok, it was JUST ok. The cuts were good and they were cooked to order, they were just lacking that little extra something that makes a steak great. We all wanted to love it, we just couldn't.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Virginia
“Great meal at Harris'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We had a great dinner at Harris'. We were not dressed well so opted for the lounge. It was a bit noisy at first with happy hour guests enjoying the end of their work day but then the sax and piano began to play and it was nice. Not too loud--just nice and relaxing. Our server was outstanding. Our steaks were seasoned and cooked perfectly. The baked potato, with fixings, was great. The horseradish sauce was the best I have tasted. All in all, a relaxing and delicious meal. I recommend Harris' to anyone looking for a great steak dinner.