“comfortable with character” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #123 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Auckland
“comfortable with character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We found the Hotel Mark Twain most comfortable, good location and very helpful staff.
Rooms were old but clean and roomy enough for two people. Good facilities, complimentary safe, coffee and wifi. The bar in the foyer was cheery and restaurant attached handy, although we didn't use it. Many restaurants nearby and close to Union Square.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Mark Twain hotel is a great place to stay. Handy to Union Square and Westfield shopping. Close to bars and restaurants. Very comfortable rooms...our room was very quiet(much to the disappointed of my husband)...he wanted to hear sirens!!! Free wifi, coffee maker and fridge are always a bonus. Reception staff were friendly and helpful.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My friends & I were looking for a place to stay that was close to Glide Memorial Church and the Hotel Mark Twain was right there. Although this is an older hotel...it was comfortable & clean. The hotel staff were very nice & helpful too. The elevator was on the "small" size but the other option was the stairs. The first flight of stairs were fine but the second flight was harder to use because the stairs were short in length so if you have big feet...you might have a problem. Although there were some homeless people in the area, they didn't bother us. The Hotel Mark Twain is in a great location because it's centrally located. Only criticisms...the toilet was so close to the shower and the ice machine was located on the 3rd floor.. Regardless, I'd stay there again!!! :)

Room Tip: The second floor is a great place to stay!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
winchester, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The location is very convenient; staff very helpful and rooms attractive, comfortable and clean. Some of the bathrooms need updating, but showers just fine even in the older bathrooms.
My favorite amenities were there: coffee maker, fridge and nice linens- lots of pillows.
This was a winner for our family.

Room Tip: Not sure if A/C. We didn't need it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and myself stayed at this hotel for a few days during May this year. We didn't have the problems some other reviewers mentioned... except you had to be a bit of a contortionist to get inside the bathroom and close the door behind yourself! However, we were somewhat disconcerted when checking in as, despite having a voucher saying our room was reserved and that we had already paid in full, the receptionist told us our booking had been rejected three months previously. So, to stay in the hotel, we had to PAY AGAIN, and at the hotel standard rate! After our trip, we complained to out travel agent about this and eventually received a full refund. They (the travel agency) claimed the hotel made a mistake. Maybe they did... certainly someone did - and I know it wasn't me! However, such a mistake shouldn't have happened in the first place. What would I have done if the hotel had been full or if I couldn't pay a second time??? For this reason I can only give this hotel an overall rating of three stars. I docked one for the small bathroom and another for the booking mix-up (though I was tempted to dock two stars for this)!
If I travel to the USA again I shall certainly watch out for things like this!

York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in late May/early June. The hotel is lovely, spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. The bar staff are lovely. However, we did have one strange event! On the Saturday night, about 12.30am, we were trying to get to sleep when there was banging on the fire escape outside. We were on the 6th floor. As it was a warm night we had our window open a little bit. The banging got louder and louder and we realised someone was right outside our window banging on the glass! He banged so hard he pushed the window out of it's tracks and started climbing into our room! He stunk of alcohol. I was scared stiff. He asked if he could come in and when my husband said no he apologised! He then went back outside, broke through the fire escape door, setting off the fire alarm, and ran into the hotel! I rang reception, amazed that no-one had come to investigate why the fire alarm had gone off, and a night porter came up to our room. He seemed nonplussed and just said he thought the guy was on the 5th floor earlier but thought he had left! Next morning we went to reception to check someone was coming to fix the window. They offered to give us another room but we just wanted the window fixed as were were leaving soon and all our stuff was unpacked. We weren't offered anything at all for our inconvenience (and fright!). No meal or drink at the bar, we scarcely got an apology!!! Until this point the hotel was fine but for them to care so little about this scary event in the middle of the night really disappointed me.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mark Twain for 4 nights. Before coming, I was very apprehensive about this hotel because of some of the reviews. It is true it is technically in the Tenderloin area, but it truly is on the edge of it and across from the Hilton. While there were homeless people in the area, there were also homeless people in front of the Hilton as well as downtown in general. If you were to travel deeper into the Tenderloin area, you definitely will see some "characters". As in any large city, I would not feel comfortable traveling by myself in any of the areas, particularly as a female. The location is central and it is easy to get to most of the downtown areas.

The service in this hotel was very good. When we checked in, the gentleman was very friendly. Whenever we needed something, they were more than happy to take care of us. One day I asked how long they thought it would take to get to a location by cab at that time of the day and they offered and printed a map showing the route for us! We enjoyed daily maid service and the hotel appeared clean and maintained, BUT this is an old building, so there are plaster walls and the paint appears to have many layers. These are to be expected in an older building. The rooms were on the smaller side and the elevator and stairs were small. (people used to be smaller) We had a light in our closet and while the bathroom was small, we got along fine.
We always had a plentiful supply of clean towels and toiletries. After reading other reviews, we asked for a quiet room and were given a room on the 2nd floor @ the back of the hotel. Yes, I did briefly hear the trash collection in the morning and I did hear the radiator (again, old building...old facilities) but we were able to get a good night's sleep. There is no air
conditioning, but we were able to adjust the speed on the ceiling fan. The temperature in
the shower will fluctuate so I set it a little cooler than normal, but I found the water pressure to
be fine.I was not impressed by the mattress quality or the linens. They were both low quality and I am very familiar with quality in those items as I sell them. One other thing, it looked to me like the mattress and box spring were totally encased (great protection against bed bugs). It was nice to have an iron, ironing board and refrigerator in the room. The internet speed was fine.

To summarize,I would stay in this hotel again, but I would prefer to spend a few more $$ to stay in a little nicer hotel with a few more amenities farther from the Tenderloin.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mark Twain? Share your experiences!