“Pleasant stay in a good location” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Mark Twain to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   345 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #142 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Gwent South Wales
“Pleasant stay in a good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Mark Twain hotel will always be special to us as it was the hotel we were staying in when we got engaged. We arrived at the hotel on cloud 9 as my partner had proposed about an hour before. The man at the front desk was really excited for us and offered us a complimentary upgrade. I can't remember his name but he was really helpful. Location was great. Just a short walk from union square & close to public transport etc. It was on the border of a bit of a dodgy area which we didn't venture into as we were told it was unsafe. Rooms were nice. Nothing particularly special but nice enough. I would recommend his hotel as the staff were very helpful & the location was good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
TheHotelMarkTwain, Manager at Hotel Mark Twain, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear hayleybailey,

That is awesome that you got engaged during your time in San Francisco! It is such a wonderful city and we are so happy that you decided to stay with us.

Cheers,

Morgan Ellsworth
Project Manager

518 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas / Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I thought by the reviews this wouldn't be too bad, should have listened to the one that says they would not stay there again. The sheets were torn, the carpets grungy, old, smallest bathroom ever. They don't turn the heat on until 5 PM and it goes off so you can't get heat during the day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear theDorig,

We are terribly sorry that your stay with us was not up to your or our expectations. We work very hard to try to make every guest's stay as comfortable and enjoyable as it can possibly be. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your feedback helps us immensely.

Morgan Ellsworth
Project Manager
Emeryville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

As a New Yorker born and raised now living in the Bay Area for 16 yrs, you come to discover that when choosing places to stay when not staying with friends and family, that the really important matters still rely in service, safety and comfort, not necessarily in this order. I have frequently stayed at The Mark Twain several times prior to moving here. It's convenient location, coupled with its boutique-style hotel charm is inviting and warm. The sales staff and its comfort staff all get top marks as the area is truly quintessential San Francisco, which has for the past 16 yrs (or at least since Rudy Giuliani was Mayor of New York) has exceeded NYC's record for the aggressive homeless population. I don't give the hotel discredit for the city's problem overall but warn that the hotel is blocks away from the area called Tenderloin (but so is The Clift. Hotel Monaco and The St. Regis).

Shopping and sites, including fine-dining at some of SF's best are steps away, as is the vibrant theater scene. Cabs and public transportation, the trolley cars and buses are all conveniently located.

I could spend several hundreds of dollars more per night and receive the same service and neighborhood, without the charm or privacy.

For these reasons, the Mark Twain for my money offers value, convenience and charm.

Room Tip: Definitely worth a nights stay or five, depends on whether your ego requires brand names to feel com...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sonoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I would actually give this more 2 1/2 stars, it's not a terrible place, it's just not a place I would stay in again unless I was desperate.

The location in town is actually not bad, it's on the edge of the not-so-hot part of town, but far enough away that I didn't feel unsafe walking home late at night after seeing a play at the Curran Theater.

I got a special deal of $99 for a "deluxe double" room, which really just means the rooms are on higher floors with better views, it has nothing to do with the quality of the room itself. I'd say that price point is pretty decent for the rooms (you have to also factor in the extra $35 (with tax) valet fee), if I was paying $129 or higher I think I'd feel like I made a bad choice, as there are several other decent options at that price point.

If you're a light sleeper, I highly recommend bringing ear plugs, because I was in one of their quieter rooms, and it was still noisy. (I was very grateful to have read that tip online before arriving at that hotel, otherwise I would have been unprepared.) I was on the 5th floor and facing a wall, but isolated from the actual alley. Despite that, I could still hear lots of street noise. I saw several people mention the loud heaters before I stayed here, and right around 2 am we were woken up by a loud clanging. It went away after a few minutes, but still, not a very pleasant way to wake up. There is also no air conditioning in the room, which isn't a huge deal since it's San Francisco, but that means there's no drone noise effect available in the room to drown out the street noise.

The size of the rooms themselves was reminiscent of those in a cruise ship (just think very, very small, two people cannot comfortably walk in front of the beds at the same time.) The quality of the beds and sheets was better than a Motel 6, but still somewhat cheap, and I wasn't sure about the cleanliness of the carpet, as it's brown and designed to hide dirt. Someone posted a review that said there were only 2 pillows per bed, but that's not true, there were 4 pillows, 2 of which were harder and flat, and 2 which were puffier. Either way, I still woke up stiff and sore.

On a positive note, the front desk staff is very friendly and helpful, and the lobby is really pretty. I didn't try the restaurant, so I can't comment on how good it is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Very convenient location, only 5 min walking distance from Market St and Powell metro station.
The staff is accomodative, very helpful and available at any times.
The room are overall good quality, clean. I liked the large dressing to hang clothes and luggage.
The restaurant is wonderful ! Exquisite wine, delicious and fine meals. And the waiters are great as well. Very satisfactory customer service as well.
The only lowlight was the wifi in the rooms. It did not always work, but it is a minor point compared to my globally positive appreciation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I just returned from spending three nights at the Mark Twain Hotel in San Francisco. It is classified as a boutique hotel, across from a Hilton, at the intersection of O'Farell and Taylor Streets, on the edge of the Union Square shopping district. I found a rate of $80/night on BookIt, and took a chance because of others' favorable reviews. The Mark Twain has eight floors, about 15 rooms to a floor. My room had two double beds and bathroom, both on the small side but adequate for my needs. Decorating has been updated and is pleasant on the eye. Beds were comfortable, check-in easy. Valet parking is available at $33/night, about the average in this city, which I did not use as I easily found taxis across the street at the Hilton. The hotel is sited an easy four block walk to the Westfield Shopping Centre and a bit farther to all the grand shopping mecca at Union Square. I will certainly return to this hotel on my next visit to San Francisco to see my son, who does not have a guest room to host me.

As for the negative, I was there Thanksgiving holiday and found some usual features unavailable. For instance, the hotel's breakfast bar (for a $10 fee) was not available, and the highly rated adjacent Taylor Street Coffee Shop also had closed for the holiday period. Nor was housekeeping service available on Thanksgiving Day, hence no extra coffee was supplied for the in-room coffee pod machine.

But the place was clean, relatively quiet, and inexpensive. I asked for a room at the back of the hotel to avoid street noise and thus only had one noisy night when guests were in an adjacent room loudly talking in an eastern European language until 3:30am.

The hotel provides free wi-fi but limited TV channels. If you're not going to stay much in your room--there is so much to see and do in San Francisco!--this is a good place to lay your head. Not perfect, but good enough. I felt safe to walk alone on the streets towards Union Square, but probably wouldn't walk far in any other direction. The Tenderloin is close by, and that has it's own disreputable reputation. You will see homeless people going about their business but not aggressively panhandling. They are kept away from the hotel entrances by doormen and valets. I only gave into one man's request for money after he sweetly sang to me, "You are my sunshine", but this was at the cafe on Union Square.

Room Tip: Higher floors and on the back inside are quieter,
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Simi Valley, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Arrived in SFO, took the bart and it was about a 5 minute walk to the hotel (not bad). Checked in to our room on the 7th floor. The room looked like a cheap rundown motel from the 1970s. My husband went to use the restroom, and he could barely shut the door because the bathroom was so small. Decided to go back to the front desk and see what other options we had. The girl at the front desk was super nice and told us that for an additional $20 bucks a night we can get into a bigger room. We looked at the room and immediately agreed. The room had nicer bedding, a walk in closet and a way bigger bathroom. The bed was hard, there were two pillows per person, one was flat and hard as a brick the other one was small and supper high. Needless to say I had to sleep with the blanket that I had taken in the airplane, curled it up and used it as a pillow. We were near the exit of the 7th floor and at 12AM someone went out the emergency door next to our room and the alarm went off. It is true, there is a homeless shelter next door and when you go down the street it's like skid row in downtown LA, a bunch of crazy homeless people. I would def not go back to this hotel. I would spend additional money and stay somewhere a little nicer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mark Twain? Share your experiences!